LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 452 users in the forums

The RG competition - Alex Boone vs big Leonard Davis!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Boone may be 6'7" but no lineman plays standing straight at full height. That would be full retard. Don't see his height as a problem. Alex Smith is listed at 6'4 but I know he doesn't stand at that height in the pocket. How could he when he now has his knees bent

Not sure what the contention that you guys are discussing regarding Boone's height.

And all the batted passes!

It's not Boone's height but his weight that's the problem. Not long ago, I never thought I'd say a 305 lb. player is a little light for the OL, but in this case he is. With Davis at 355, it's going to be tough matching what LD should be able to do in moving DLs out of the way for the power running game.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Boone may be 6'7" but no lineman plays standing straight at full height. That would be full retard. Don't see his height as a problem. Alex Smith is listed at 6'4 but I know he doesn't stand at that height in the pocket. How could he when he now has his knees bent

Not sure what the contention that you guys are discussing regarding Boone's height.

It's not Boone's height but his weight that's the problem. Not long ago, I never thought I'd say a 305 lb. player is a little light for the OL, but in this case he is. With Davis at 355, it's going to be tough matching what LD should be able to do in moving DLs out of the way for the power running game.

One can counter that by saying that Boone is far more suited to the pull blocks that Greg Roman likes to implement. I'd rather an OL that is quicker with his feet to better pass protect VS moving DL off the ball. Both would be ideal, and I think maybe Boone's natural strength is being underestimated in the first place.

By the way, Last I read, Boone packed on weight and is approximately 310 lbs.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

One can counter that by saying that Boone is far more suited to the pull blocks that Greg Roman likes to implement. I'd rather an OL that is quicker with his feet to better pass protect VS moving DL off the ball. Both would be ideal, and I think maybe Boone's natural strength is being underestimated in the first place.

By the way, Last I read, Boone packed on weight and is approximately 310 lbs.

If i remember correctly, LDavis got some wheels when healthy.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Sounds good, if so. I'd have to go look at old footage, as I really don't remember much about his game. If he turns out to be a 355 lb stud G, then cool. Would be slightly sad for Boone, but if the team is better off with LD starting, then that's that.

( and we'd still have a great T/G backup in Boone that probably would need to step in for someone at some point )

Sounds good, if so. I'd have to go look at old footage, as I really don't remember much about his game. If he turns out to be a 355 lb stud G, then cool. Would be slightly sad for Boone, but if the team is better off with LD starting, then that's that.

( and we'd still have a great T/G backup in Boone that probably would need to step in for someone at some point )

[ Edited by Young2Rice on Aug 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM ]
Now we can definitely trade Joe Staley.

You put the best players on the field. End of story. If LD can help the team win more games than Boone than he should start. If Boone beats LD, then he should start.

Competition at every position, there is no given starting jobs. I am of the mind that if Moss and Manningham look good they should start over the #10 pick in the draft.
Is there any feedback, or observations about how well Boone, and or Davis, is handling our defnesive front? This Friday should give us some picture of how well they are doing.
Originally posted by 9erred:

You put the best players on the field. End of story. If LD can help the team win more games than Boone than he should start. If Boone beats LD, then he should start.

Competition at every position, there is no given starting jobs. I am of the mind that if Moss and Manningham look good they should start over the #10 pick in the draft.

Well yeah... pretty much what I said from the start.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Is there any feedback, or observations about how well Boone, and or Davis, is handling our defnesive front? This Friday should give us some picture of how well they are doing.

Been very few snippets of info on them, but for both, it has been positive ones.

Originally posted by 9erred:

Well yeah... pretty much what I said from the start.

That's where I've heard that before! Sounded very familiar!
In the glory years, the 49ers would always have a good backup T ready to come in. If we didn't have one, we would do whatever it took to bring one in during the off-season.

We seem to be a little bit lax about our backup T position, which is almost as important a position as most starting positions. Our Super Bowl teams won games because we always had a reliable backup ready to go. I hope this doesn't become a problem for us as the season goes along.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
In the glory years, the 49ers would always have a good backup T ready to come in. If we didn't have one, we would do whatever it took to bring one in during the off-season.

We seem to be a little bit lax about our backup T position, which is almost as important a position as most starting positions. Our Super Bowl teams won games because we always had a reliable backup ready to go. I hope this doesn't become a problem for us as the season goes along.

How do you know we are "lax" about the backup OT spot though???

Let's say that Jim and Greg have assessed a player(s) like Mike Person, Derek Hall, Netter, Wiggins, Leonard D, Chisolm, or Alex Boone sliding back out. Let's then say they have determined that one or more of these options gives them adequate or plenty of confidence at backup OT, should an injury occur.

Must they let the general public know this to make us feel better? Hell no.

So just because we the fans don't have the full picture yet, that certainly doesn't mean the coaches are overlooking such things.. right?

Let's say that Jim and Greg have assessed a player(s) like Mike Person, Derek Hall, Netter, Wiggins, Leonard D, Chisolm, or Alex Boone sliding back out. Let's then say they have determined that one or more of these options gives them adequate or plenty of confidence at backup OT, should an injury occur.

So just because we the fans don't have the full picture yet, that certainly doesn't mean the coaches are overlooking such things.. right?

LOL! In the glory years I cringed when a backup came into the game--particularly a small ex-guard to play tackle. But Bobb would have him coached up and Bill would devise plays to take advantage of the smaller, quicker backup. Dan Audick started 16 games in 1981 at 6'3" 252 pounds! That was small even for those years! He was my hero for coming in and out performing my expectations.

Funny how we don't always remember how nerve racking those day were...just eeking out championships by out thinking/out playing the opposition.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

LOL! In the glory years I cringed when a backup came into the game--particularly a small ex-guard to play tackle. But Bobb would have him coached up and Bill would devise plays to take advantage of the smaller, quicker backup. Dan Audick started 16 games in 1981 at 6'3" 252 pounds! That was small even for those years! He was my hero for coming in and out performing my expectations.

Funny how we don't always remember how nerve racking those day were...just eeking out championships by out thinking/out playing the opposition.

Ralph Tamm, Dave Fiore, Derrick Deese.... all came out of nowhere. I swear McKittrick must've found each under a rock on his early morning stroll through the woods. I can still remember checking the waiver in the newspaper. Seeing the 49ers had picked up Ralph Tamm to be McKittrick's project on the O-line. Then the dude would start a year later and be solid starter on a SB team. He was a 9th rounder from the Jets
Share 49ersWebzone