LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Is the 49er Championship Window Closing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
This week's edition of the Better Rivals podcast is up!

www.49erswebzone.com/podcasts

Let us know your thoughts about the debate, or really anything y'all hear.
We have a championship window?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
geez I hope not, it just finally cracked open after being boarded up for a decade plus.
it's closing on Gore.
It depends on how much we will lose when Justin Smith finally starts to decline. He's the only guy I can see that will start showing his age. And I think it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to sign Bowman once his rookie contract expires. The money would be better spent on Aldon Smith, IMO. I think Bowman is a very good ILB, but he benefited greatly from playing in our system and our excellent front 7.
yeah too many of the key players are still at or approaching their primes yet to say the window is closing.

of course it all depends on.......... well... there's already a thread for him....................................
um, no. This team is going to be better than 2011 and in 2013 better than this year, and 2014 better than 2013, and 2015 better than 2014... Than we can start to think about the window starting to close.
No. This is a young team. I'd say the window is still opening.
We have a large window open for the next 2 or 3 years, I think. After that, we'll just have to see. If our F/O and coaches are as good as we think and hope? They will keep us strong enough to be playoff contenders for a good while longer.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
It depends on how much we will lose when Justin Smith finally starts to decline. He's the only guy I can see that will start showing his age. And I think it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to sign Bowman once his rookie contract expires. The money would be better spent on Aldon Smith, IMO. I think Bowman is a very good ILB, but he benefited greatly from playing in our system and our excellent front 7.
I'm betting the FO has Larry Grant in the wings in case we can't sign Bowman so I'm not too worried about that. Replacing Smith is another story, and not going to be easy.

The window will never close fully if we Harbaugh can keep infusing this team with talent when we lose it. Todays NFL.
[ Edited by Ajanke on Jun 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM ]
Closing? I think its opening more than closing? With the exception of J.Smith & Gore everyone else is on the upswing, including our vet QB.
No our core of talent is one of the youngest in the league.
No
How can something be closing before it fully opened?

Reasons why its not Closing

1) Alex Smith 1st year Healthy and coming back with same OC
2) Vernon Davis is in Prime along with Patrick Willis, up and coming Aldon Smith, Bowman, Best D in NFL
3) Most Weapons team has had in years, with Speedsters Moss, Ginn, LaMichael James, A.J. Jenkins, with Crabtree finally healthy going into off season
4) 3 back up QB's that all have potential to be quality "if" Smith gets hurt
5) Playoff experience, which everyone on the team really didn't have before last year
6) No giant Ego's on the team, no one believes they are better thant he whole of the team unlike in years past with VD and Crabs both now buying in
7) Overall team is young and able to continue to grow
8) Front office set up like some of the top teams in the NFL to continue to repeat success
Share 49ersWebzone