LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 427 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Truth.
During the peak of the Harbalke era Brooks seemed to always deliver when the game was on the line... he seems to get bored with the grind of a game, but IMO just a few years ago there was no pass rushing LB better than AB in the clutch.. if we needed a sack, a forced fumble, big tackle for a loss, or a QB hurry he seemed to thrive in those situations in big games... the Drew Brees 'clothes line sack' and the hurry on Matty Ice on the last drive in the NFC championship come to mind... He's a war horse and he's still got fight left in him, if his personality is managed right I think he's got another 3 or 4 productive years left in him...
[ Edited by riverrunzthruit on May 25, 2017 at 1:48 PM ]
3-4 years might be a stretch but he sure does bring vet leadership and production to our D
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
During the peak of the Harbalke era Brooks seemed to always deliver when the game was on the line... he seems to get bored with the grind of a game, but IMO just a few years ago there was no pass rushing LB better than AB in the clutch.. if we needed a sack, a forced fumble, big tackle for a loss, or a QB hurry he seemed to thrive in those situations in big games... the Drew Brees 'clothes line sack' and the hurry on Matty Ice on the last drive in the NFC championship come to mind... He's a war horse and he's still got fight left in him, if his personality is managed right I think he's got another 3 or 4 productive years left in him...
Originally posted by BIGDOGG42:
3-4 years might be a stretch but he sure does bring vet leadership and production to our D
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

We need to semi limit Brooks' snaps as well. As much as we'd like for Thomas,AA and Buck to be 3 down players... we don't know if it's 3rd&8 whose gonna be the ER's.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Smith doesn't play that LB position

He has before for Seattle. It's just a matter of time, my friend. Unless Foster's shoulder doesn't heal right.

My understanding was that he is being brought in strictly as weak side LB. Irvin was primarily the strong side LB whereas Smith was the weak side when he stepped in for Wright. He did step in for both I guess as a backup, but I don't see him as a SAM at all

He's certainly not ideal at the SAM (better suited for WILL)...but he has played there for Seattle. And we didn't give him a 5 year, $26.5M deal with $13M guaranteed to sit on the bench. One of the responsibilities of the SAM is edge containment and coverage...Smith is younger and faster than Brooks. Plus he knows this defense inside and out. Him going to the bench won't help Saleh. Saleh also noted that the SAM is not in the old mold anymore (the big lumbering LB). He's now an athletic LB that adds an edge rush up to 70% of the time. If we have to use two players to accomplish that, we will. But I highly doubt Saleh wants his one LB who knows this defense inside and out, on the bench. He wants him on the field assisting Bowman in making all the defensive calls. Just my take...

My gut says it starts out as Smith-Bowman-Brooks then inevitably Foster replaces Smith and Smith goes back to the role he thrived at in SEA as backup OLB. I just like the idea of Brooks at strong side, as I think he brings a good pass rush skill set and run defense....his problem may be in coverage

He has before for Seattle. It's just a matter of time, my friend. Unless Foster's shoulder doesn't heal right.

My understanding was that he is being brought in strictly as weak side LB. Irvin was primarily the strong side LB whereas Smith was the weak side when he stepped in for Wright. He did step in for both I guess as a backup, but I don't see him as a SAM at all

He's certainly not ideal at the SAM (better suited for WILL)...but he has played there for Seattle. And we didn't give him a 5 year, $26.5M deal with $13M guaranteed to sit on the bench. One of the responsibilities of the SAM is edge containment and coverage...Smith is younger and faster than Brooks. Plus he knows this defense inside and out. Him going to the bench won't help Saleh. Saleh also noted that the SAM is not in the old mold anymore (the big lumbering LB). He's now an athletic LB that adds an edge rush up to 70% of the time. If we have to use two players to accomplish that, we will. But I highly doubt Saleh wants his one LB who knows this defense inside and out, on the bench. He wants him on the field assisting Bowman in making all the defensive calls. Just my take...

My gut says it starts out as Smith-Bowman-Brooks then inevitably Foster replaces Smith and Smith goes back to the role he thrived at in SEA as backup OLB. I just like the idea of Brooks at strong side, as I think he brings a good pass rush skill set and run defense....his problem may be in coverage

I can see Brooks get the bulk of the snaps at SAM, with Harold getting reps to keep Brooks fresh and see if Harold is continuing to develop. Harold has improved at setting the edge and dropping in coverage; he's always been one effective counter move away from being a decent edge rusher. That makes me nuts. I know firsthand how hard it is to learn a new rushing move to the point that you can use it effectively, at the right time, on instinct (rather than a predetermined choice). I get that it takes a LOT of reps, but damn it, Harold is a pro and he better have at least one counter (inside move or bull) by the start of TC.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

I can see Brooks get the bulk of the snaps at SAM, with Harold getting reps to keep Brooks fresh and see if Harold is continuing to develop. Harold has improved at setting the edge and dropping in coverage; he's always been one effective counter move away from being a decent edge rusher. That makes me nuts. I know firsthand how hard it is to learn a new rushing move to the point that you can use it effectively, at the right time, on instinct (rather than a predetermined choice). I get that it takes a LOT of reps, but damn it, Harold is a pro and he better have at least one counter (inside move or bull) by the start of TC.

Agreed

I'm all for riding my Brooks jersey one more season. I just have a feeling this may be the end as ShanaLynch move towards youth. But I've got love for the man...hope the best for the team most.

That is one expensive arse backup LB tho..
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

That is one expensive arse backup LB tho..

Really, might have to think about trading him. Probably, waiting to see if Foster can play or not.
[ Edited by mayo49 on May 26, 2017 at 4:46 AM ]

Originally posted by mayo49:
Really, might have to think about trading him. Probably, waiting to see if Foster can play or not.

No one is going to trade for him at that salary.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

Yeah, I know - maybe we can trade him if we pick up a portion of it.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

Yeah, I know - maybe we can trade him if we pick up a portion of it.

Why bother. This team is still filthy with cap space. We saw this past season how bad our linebackers are once the injury bug strikes. Better to have backups who can play instead of rolling with special teamers if a stater gets injured. I love having Smith and Armstrong as backups for the depth.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by walker807:
Why bother. This team is still filthy with cap space. We saw this past season how bad our linebackers are once the injury bug strikes. Better to have backups who can play instead of rolling with special teamers if a stater gets injured. I love having Smith and Armstrong as backups for the depth.

I agree.
Originally posted by walker807:

I agree.

Gospel right here. Smith is a leader on defense and knows it even better than Bowman or anyone on this team currently. Saleh might start him out at WILL and ease Foster in there and then move over to cover the SAM on base downs once Foster is fully acclimated. I don't see the captain of this defense sitting on the bench. He's the equivalent of Pierre Garcon for Kyle.
Share 49ersWebzone