LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Sunday Morning Topic - What kind of defense do we run?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
We ran a base 3-4, but the base designation isn't as applicable as it used to be the the frequency of offenses running three and four receiver sets.

The 3-4 is preferable in this era IMO b/c your hybrid DE/OLBs stay on the field across different formations.

No team, 3-4 or otherwise, keeps their base against a multi WR set. That's when you see nickle and dime packages. We don't run as many hybrid packages a the Ravens do, so the 3-4 base designation more than applies. And even against a fully disguised offensive formation, it is more than possible to defend the pass from a base 3-4.
Last years defense was simplified. Expect more exotic looks/blitz packages this year.
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Last years defense was simplified. Expect more exotic looks/blitz packages this year.

I think this is correct. Watching Baltimore's D disguise their coverages shows just how creative they are getting and SF will likely follow suit. Now that they have a full TC to work out the details I can see some really confusing packages being installed.
One thing to remember, last year was a year that tremendously favored offences due to the shortened off season and our defense still dominated.
We are a run & pass defense that is good enough not to have to depend on the blitz or 9 men in the box. Sounds simple. But that's saying a lot for a defense.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
One thing to remember, last year was a year that tremendously favored offences due to the shortened off season and our defense still dominated.

Defense always has the advantage in shortened off seasons, offense is much more complicated to install and requires more precise timing.
We run a 3-4 with 4 guys on LOS more than 50% of the time. Our 3-4 looks like 4-3 more times than not.
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
It seems like we run a 3-4 base with a quarter/man shell. The reason Vic wanted Willis to improve his blitzing is so that zone/blitz scheme of his could come to fruition. I doubt Vic had any idea that our 3 down linemen could create pressure and stuff the run with such proficiency. I don't expect us to get cute with the zone/blitz (mostly because we dont ned to) unless we have such command of a game that we can afford to experiment in gametime situations.

Yeah, I thought we were mostly running a 3-4 base with one blitzer and the rest in quarters with CBs on man coverage.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
It seems like we run a 3-4 base with a quarter/man shell. The reason Vic wanted Willis to improve his blitzing is so that zone/blitz scheme of his could come to fruition. I doubt Vic had any idea that our 3 down linemen could create pressure and stuff the run with such proficiency. I don't expect us to get cute with the zone/blitz (mostly because we dont ned to) unless we have such command of a game that we can afford to experiment in gametime situations.

Yeah, I thought we were mostly running a 3-4 base with one blitzer and the rest in quarters with CBs on man coverage.

Pretty much these. Aldon will also be starting at a new position, so Vic may wait until he's comfortable before adding too many wrinkles.

But mostly I think Vic simply stayed with what worked last year and we won't get too aggressive/exotic this year unless we need to.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Fangio said that, but it seemed at times last year and the year before that teams throw AT willis, because of his pass coverage (imo)

i think it had more to do with his height rather than his ability.

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Fangio said that, but it seemed at times last year and the year before that teams throw AT willis, because of his pass coverage (imo)

i think it had more to do with his height rather than his ability.

Esp. if you had a 6'5+ TE. I didn't understand why we didn't play Willis more down hill and in pass rush and put Goldson on the TE but sometimes defenses can be dictated by offensive personnel packages.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
No one has said it yet so I will. The 49ers were in their nickel defense (4-2-5) almost as much as their base 3-4. This year we can expect Culliver to be the fifth defensive back and the front six to remain the same:

Bowman-Willis
Smith-Smith-McDonald-Brooks
Originally posted by DVDA:
No one has said it yet so I will. The 49ers were in their nickel defense (4-2-5) almost as much as their base 3-4. This year we can expect Culliver to be the fifth defensive back and the front six to remain the same:

Bowman-Willis
Smith-Smith-McDonald-Brooks

Yeah, wish I could find the % of plays for our defenses on the field. With the offenses leaning toward extra WRs and the passing game, we were aligned like that ^ a good bit.

As far as our base, I expect a lot more creativity and exotic blitz looks with the full offseason to prepare.
Ok, we run a 3-4/4-3.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Ok, we run a 3-4/4-3.

I prefer the 4/3 as it is a larger number, though it is somewhat improper. JK!
Share 49ersWebzone