LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 327 users in the forums

Who was the worst 49er GM?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who was the worst 49er GM?

Terry Donahue without a doubt, IMHO.
This
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Not only was Thomas the worst niners GM, there is a very strong possibility that he was the worst sports executive of all time, across every major sport

Agree with this. As bad as Donahue was, I think the vote is swayed by all the younger guys on this forum who don't remember the awfulness and hopelessness of the Joe Thomas reign. I lived through it. Thomas had a giant ego that matched his incompetence.
Originally posted by ncninerfan:
This

Agree with this. As bad as Donahue was, I think the vote is swayed by all the younger guys on this forum who don't remember the awfulness and hopelessness of the Joe Thomas reign. I lived through it. Thomas had a giant ego that matched his incompetence.

This is a true statement. I wasn't even born when Thomas was killing the franchise. haha
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
it is joe thomas by far. we had a great team in 1976 with monte clark. Here comes joe, He wanted monte to give up his authority, monte told him to f**k off so we lost a great coach. He then purged the roster , traded cedrick hardman, gene washington, got rid of plunket but we could not draft young players to replace them because of course,, he traded our future away for oj simpson. fans were wearing bags over thier heads, two coaches in one year. signing druggies like hollywood henderson, that was bad,,,,, at least with donahue, we had drafts. Ok we did not draft so well but at least we had drafts. for two years under joe thomas, we had no high draft picks cuz they were spent on simpson. There is no doubt about it,, joe thomas, hands down
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Maddog
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Maddog

you are so evil there is no write in option
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by susweel:
Maddog

you are so evil there is no write in option

I know I was just busting his balls.
Terry Donahue was sooooooo far the worst 49ers GM ever and bad draft too!! It is very very worstest!!!!!!!
It has to be Joe Thomas. I wasn't even alive during that era, but wasn't he the douche that destroyed all remnants of the 49ers past by throwing away irreplaceable film, documents, and other items? To me, he's a big reason why many 49er greats from the 50's - 70's have been forgotten. Not to mention he made horrible personnel decisions that make Donahue and McCloughan look brilliant.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
It has to be Joe Thomas. I wasn't even alive during that era, but wasn't he the douche that destroyed all remnants of the 49ers past by throwing away irreplaceable film, documents, and other items? To me, he's a big reason why many 49er greats from the 50's - 70's have been forgotten. Not to mention he made horrible personnel decisions that make Donahue and McCloughan look brilliant.

Was just about to post this, yes he did. His ego was THAT huge that he believed that all 49ers teams before him were completely irrelevant and so he destroyed everything about them.

Donahue was by far worse than McCloughan. He should have been executed for his crimes against the 49ers.

I'm not very familiar with Joe Thomas.
Can't believe McCloughan is in this list. Most of the roster we have now was his picks, not Nolan. Sure, he missed on some, but who doesnt? Anyways, Joe Thomas hands down
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Was just about to post this, yes he did. His ego was THAT huge that he believed that all 49ers teams before him were completely irrelevant and so he destroyed everything about them.
plus he basically got rid of players like gene washington and cedrick hardman for junk like oj plus he cost us two years in draft picks.
Originally posted by kronik:
Can't believe McCloughan is in this list. Most of the roster we have now was his picks, not Nolan. Sure, he missed on some, but who doesnt? Anyways, Joe Thomas hands down

technically, 05-07 scot was a glorified scout and evaluator (hence, "vp of player personel") whereas nolan had final say (the so-called "trigger"). only in nolan's final year in 08, when his leash was considerably shortened by the yorks was the "trigger" (i.e official gm responsibilies and final say in the draft) given to scot and his first draft was underwhelming to say the least. i will give him credit for the talent he brought the team in his initial role (and credit to nolan as well for picking them), but as nolan was included in the "worst 49ers coach" poll it was only fair the person who collaborated with him in a gm-like function be included in this poll.

i was going to include carmen policy and dwight clark for their late-90's sowing the seeds for the team's journey thru salary cap hell, but they at least delivered a lombardi in '94 (plus policy was more a team ceo/savvy contract guy than traditional gm)
Only Joe Thomas I know of plays for the Browns. I'd say Donahue because he took us into NFL purgatory.
Share 49ersWebzone