There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who was the worst 49er GM?

Who was the worst 49er GM?

Thomas was hired as GM of the San Francisco 49ers in 1977 by new owner Eddie DeBartolo at the recommendation of Al Davis and immediately fired head coach Monte Clark. The 49ers went 7-23 in Thomas' two seasons with the franchise, and his biggest trade, a number 1 draft pick for O.J. Simpson, was a colossal bust, as Simpson proved to be washed up. Thomas also fired two more head coaches, Ken Meyer and Pete McCulley, and Thomas' third hire, Fred O'Connor, was fired along with Thomas at the end of the 1978 season.

Donahue was the hand-picked successor to Bill Walsh as general manager of the San Francisco 49ers (2001–2005). During his first two years in San Francisco, Donahue served as Director of Player Personnel under Walsh. When Walsh retired in 2001, Donahue was elevated to the position of General Manager which he held for four seasons. His latter tenure is known for the team's precipitous collapse due to salary cap issues and sub-par drafts.

McCloughan oversaw five NFL drafts - the first three as vice president of player personnel, the past two as general manager with the final say. He was hired after Mike Nolan became head coach in 2005, with the 49ers then drafting quarterback Alex Smith at No. 1 overall. McCloughan's draft successes include Pro Bowlers Frank Gore, Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis. He was dismissed in March 2010 due to personal issues.

[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:23 PM ]
Not an oldie, so I go with Donahue. Screw us up so much, bad contract management. Didn't commit to players when time was right. Bad moves all around. I think he was the one who made the infamous T.O. trade to Baltimore that was rejected, then to Philly for Brandon Whiting and a 6th rd pick.

McCloughan was also terrible, but was a decent evaluator. His 08 draft was terrible.
TDon, ahead of Joe Thomas. McCloughlin not even on the same page.

But for awfulness, TDon took a decent team and dismantled it. He left a team worse than an expansion team, worse than some College teams. He destroyed the team for years. TDon was the Anti-Walsh.
Originally posted by English:

But for awfulness, TDon took a decent team and dismantled it. He left a team worse than an expansion team, worse than some College teams. He destroyed the team for years. TDon was the Anti-Walsh.

Lol right! It was like he was doing it on purpose!
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by English:

Lol right! It was like he was doing it on purpose!

On the Cowboys payroll.
Donahue, the other two were bad yet Donahue can be metioned only with Matt Millen in the same sentence, even Millen was better, Donahue singlehanded brought up the downfall of the niners. Cap hell, terrible drafting, terrible FA...
McCloughlin....even doe I don't know who Joe Thoams was
I am forced to say many of the armchair GMs on these boards...
can't be any worse than terry donahue who worked out of his home in los angeles
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Slight edge to Donahue over Thomas, took longer to clean up Donahue's mess than Thomas's, but there wasn't a salary cap in Thomas's day.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I am forced to say many of the armchair GMs on these boards...

Donahue was worse than several of them.
Everytime i think about what TD it gets me mad that guy does not know football! he probably hypnotize BW to hand him the title of GM, ruined 49ers football.
Hey don't knock Dona-who, how can you run a football team and keep up a Newport Beach tan at the same time.
Not only was Thomas the worst niners GM, there is a very strong possibility that he was the worst sports executive of all time, across every major sport
OP,

McClueless was not allowed to make the pics until the draft of 2007. Before that, it was all Mike Nolan...The only great players he drafted was Willis and Staley....the 2008 Draft was one of the Worst in all of the NFLs history.