There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Patrick Willis the Greatest Niner of Alltime?

Seriously. Look at what he has done. He's been allpro every year in the league, no other Niner in history has done that. He's a first ballot hall of famer. He carried a team with a broken down old RB and a terrible QB to within one terrible play from the Superbowl. And to top it all off he plays the most important position on the defense. He's obviously the best 49er defender of Alltime, but is it time to place him if not above the other Niner greats, at least in the same conversation?
Originally posted by Jerome_Horwitz:
Seriously. Look at what he has done. He's been allpro every year in the league, no other Niner in history has done that. He's a first ballot hall of famer. He carried a team with a broken down old RB and a terrible QB to within one terrible play from the Superbowl. And to top it all off he plays the most important position on the defense. He's obviously the best 49er defender of Alltime, but is it time to place him if not above the other Niner greats, at least in the same conversation?

If he can add a 6 diamond ring to this almost left for dead franchise ...then yes,... he will be !!!
Oh sweet jebus....
cannot be a serious thread.

Look, im Patrick Willis' biggest fan, but unless He takes over at QB and leads us to 4 more Super Bowls in 4 appearances, he will never be the greatest Niner of all time.

Patrick Willis has a very real chance of passing Ronnie Lott as the greatest defensive player in 49ers history. In fact, He could be on the Niners Mt. Rushmore. But I dont see anyone ever passing Joe for that spot.

BTW, 49ers Mt. Rushmore right now? Montana, Rice, Young, Lott. Id say about 3 more all-pro's and a SB ring for Willis knocks Lott out of that spot. maybe just the 3+ all-pros.

What a stupid thread
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
If he can add a 6 diamond ring to this almost left for dead franchise ...then yes,... he will be !!!

Absolutely agree.
He may become the best linebacker in niner history some day but greatest niner? No. My choice for that award remains Joe Montana and I really can't see him being replaced.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM ]
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
cannot be a serious thread.

this
I guess you've never heard of Jerry Rice.
Montana and Young both have 2 MVP's and a ring. And lets not forget about Rice. I think its a little premature to name him the greatest ever but in a few years that could be true. If he gets a ring and DPOY then were talking. I have him the second best defender behind Lott currently but if he continues playing like he is then Willis should pass Lott as the best niners defender ever. I do not believe he plays the most important position though, not in today's nfl. CB and pass rusher (3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE) to me are by far the most important.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Look, im Patrick Willis' biggest fan, but unless He takes over at QB and leads us to 4 more Super Bowls in 4 appearances, he will never be the greatest Niner of all time.

Patrick Willis has a very real chance of passing Ronnie Lott as the greatest defensive player in 49ers history. In fact, He could be on the Niners Mt. Rushmore. But I dont see anyone ever passing Joe for that spot.

BTW, 49ers Mt. Rushmore right now? Montana, Rice, Young, Lott. Id say about 3 more all-pro's and a SB ring for Willis knocks Lott out of that spot. maybe just the 3+ all-pros.

You're being naive. He plays the most important position on the entire defense, probably second most important position on the team. Lott was just a defensive back way back when team almost exclusively ran the ball.

Joe never had the physical talent. I love Joe, but look at the numbers and MVPs, even Young was better.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

What a stupid thread

If you're not prepared to have a serious discussion then maybe you should leave. This thread is for 49er fans.
Originally posted by Jerome_Horwitz:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

What a stupid thread

If you're not prepared to have a serious discussion then maybe you should leave. This thread is for 49er fans.

Serious Discussion? You're calling me out for having a serious discussion?