There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

New TE Drill

Originally posted by dj43:
I like the idea. The 49ers have not had a decent TE since Eric Johnson in terms of being the quick safety valve who reads defenses, adjusts routes and uses his body to shield off defenders.

What do you mean when you say "adjusting routes"? I'm curious what you mean behind this. Could you provide an example with video(anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything) comparing another TE in the NFL who "adjusts his routes" and then show what VD is not doing?

Thanks in advance.
This team is a like a Samurai sword, except that these coaches are now making it even sharper.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Besides being difficult, the drill serves as a mini-competition for a position group that now includes defensive tackle Demarcus Dobbs working at a new position.

So far, Dobbs has impressed the 49ers tight ends with his natural athletic ability.

"I think he's doing a great job," Byham said. "He had a little bit of a learning curve the first few weeks, but he caught on really quickly and he's really becoming a dual-threat: a legitimate tight end as well as an established d-lineman.

I do see him in some jumbo packages but i dont see him catching anything unless we are up by a lot

did you expect staley?
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Besides being difficult, the drill serves as a mini-competition for a position group that now includes defensive tackle Demarcus Dobbs working at a new position.

So far, Dobbs has impressed the 49ers tight ends with his natural athletic ability.

"I think he's doing a great job," Byham said. "He had a little bit of a learning curve the first few weeks, but he caught on really quickly and he's really becoming a dual-threat: a legitimate tight end as well as an established d-lineman.

I do see him in some jumbo packages but i dont see him catching anything unless we are up by a lot

did you expect staley?

Staley played offense before and soap played rugby,

Dobbs hasn't
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I know a good tight end drill

Don't be selfish, tell the coaching staff!!,
Originally posted by WhenDoesItStop:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The article linked describes a drill that should greatly help the short passing game, increasing the TEs ability to catch short passes to thwart the blitz. VD needs this drill as this has been a weak part of his game--quick catches over the middle.

What are your thoughts about this drill and are there others you believe Harbaugh (all coaches) has (have) brought to the team that will help the team?

http://blog.49ers.com/2012/06/07/tight-ends-practice-crowded-catches/

10:34

That was a nice catch and run but is not the type of play I am referring to, but is rather a designed route. The quick hit behind a blitzing LB punishes the D for being too agressive and VD has generally not done well at recognizing the blitz.

If you recall, during the early Raye days, they installed some quick dump offs when the QB was being pressured and Smith hit VD in the back with the ball because he did not think to turn his head and/or body to receive the pass. They finally eliminated the quick reads as VD wasn't able to make this adjustment. It doesn't always have to be the TE, but the TE needs to be able to make this adjustment to keep the D honest.

The QB drop on these quick hits is a step or two and then soft release.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
That was a nice catch and run but is not the type of play I am referring to, but is rather a designed route. The quick hit behind a blitzing LB punishes the D for being too agressive and VD has generally not done well at recognizing the blitz.

If you recall, during the early Raye days, they installed some quick dump offs when the QB was being pressured and Smith hit VD in the back with the ball because he did not think to turn his head and/or body to receive the pass. They finally eliminated the quick reads as VD wasn't able to make this adjustment. It doesn't always have to be the TE, but the TE needs to be able to make this adjustment to keep the D honest.

The QB drop on these quick hits is a step or two and then soft release.
the rams game comes to mind