LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

New TE Drill

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I know a good tight end drill

Let me guess, you're the receiver?

jk jk lol.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for LasVegasWally.
Has anyone ever used a 4 TE set?

Talk about mis-match possibilities.
A run on a 4 TE group formation They did a 3TE run/pass last year. So just when they think it will be either a pass out of the formation or a run behind those TE, you let Staley sneak out on the opposite side and have Smith baby touch a pass to Staley for a rumbling TD
  • dj43
I like the idea. The 49ers have not had a decent TE since Eric Johnson in terms of being the quick safety valve who reads defenses, adjusts routes and uses his body to shield off defenders.
^ speaking of this... what's up with Dobbs getting these early looks at TE? What is Jim up to?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
^ speaking of this... what's up with Dobbs getting these early looks at TE? What is Jim up to?

to give Soap a rest
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

to give Soap a rest

Nah... that's why we are working Tukuafu at FB. Boy, that Jim gets wild and creative, eh?
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Only weak part of Vernon's game is catching the ball with his body opposed to his hands. More than anything else, I believe it's the reason why he's not outstanding over the middle.

also not the best at the over the shoulder ones with extended arms... and could improve on the jump balls when squared away with the QB. (like the crazy catch Walker made from Troy Smith vs two Broncos' DBs back when?)
Only weak part of Vernon's game is catching the ball with his body opposed to his hands. More than anything else, I believe it's the reason why he's not outstanding over the middle.

I think the weakest part of his game is not being able to read the blitz and find the open space. Has improved his hands and all other aspects of his game beyond my expectations...which were very high to begin with.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I think the weakest part of his game is not being able to read the blitz and find the open space. Has improved his hands and all other aspects of his game beyond my expectations...which were very high to begin with.

yeah he definitely relies on his speed more than he should. the "finding the soft spot in the zone" part of being a TE isn't his strong point

Hmmm....Michael Irvin said the best thing to do is catch the ball with your body in traffic. Catching the ball away from your body is an over simplification according to him. I might be wrong, but it makes sense to me.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Hmmm....Michael Irvin said the best thing to do is catch the ball with your body in traffic. Catching the ball away from your body is an over simplification according to him. I might be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

I will never forget a play at the Rams where Davis was in the slot, ran a slant and jumped into the air to catch a ball that him in the nuts.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The article linked describes a drill that should greatly help the short passing game, increasing the TEs ability to catch short passes to thwart the blitz. VD needs this drill as this has been a weak part of his game--quick catches over the middle.

What are your thoughts about this drill and are there others you believe Harbaugh (all coaches) has (have) brought to the team that will help the team?

http://blog.49ers.com/2012/06/07/tight-ends-practice-crowded-catches/

10:34

[ Edited by WhenDoesItStop on Jun 7, 2012 at 9:26 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
I like the idea. The 49ers have not had a decent TE since Eric Johnson in terms of being the quick safety valve who reads defenses, adjusts routes and uses his body to shield off defenders.

What do you mean when you say "adjusting routes"? I'm curious what you mean behind this. Could you provide an example with video(anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything) comparing another TE in the NFL who "adjusts his routes" and then show what VD is not doing?

Thanks in advance.
This team is a like a Samurai sword, except that these coaches are now making it even sharper.
Share 49ersWebzone