There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

New TE Drill

The article linked describes a drill that should greatly help the short passing game, increasing the TEs ability to catch short passes to thwart the blitz. VD needs this drill as this has been a weak part of his game--quick catches over the middle.

What are your thoughts about this drill and are there others you believe Harbaugh (all coaches) has (have) brought to the team that will help the team?

http://blog.49ers.com/2012/06/07/tight-ends-practice-crowded-catches/
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM ]
This coaching staff is on point
They need to implement something similar but with guys running and catching. Like a crossing route. Not just standing stationary. Maybe include a coach in a zebra shirt to double as a ref in the middle -- better put on a helmet though. Or do it in the end zone where it's usually crowded
Anything clever we can do to improve the reaction-time for these receivers gets a from me. Still think these receivers should do night-drills. Cut the lights down and throw them passes over the shoulder and away from their bodies. I want them to improve in tracking the ball's flight. If you can track those passes with a minimum of vision, then it will make your tracking ability improve greatly when it counts in the daytime/lights.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
They need to implement something similar but with guys running and catching. Like a crossing route. Not just standing stationary. Maybe include a coach in a zebra shirt to double as a ref in the middle -- better put on a helmet though. Or do it in the end zone where it's usually crowded

C'mon...you don't think they have that next, once they master reaction times?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Anything clever we can do to improve the reaction-time for these receivers gets a from me. Still think these receivers should do night-drills. Cut the lights down and throw them passes over the shoulder and away from their bodies. I want them to improve in tracking the ball's flight. If you can track those passes with a minimum of vision, then it will make your tracking ability improve greatly when it counts in the daytime/lights.
They should do it with blindfolds, and substitute footballs with poisonous arrows
I know a good tight end drill

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
They need to implement something similar but with guys running and catching. Like a crossing route. Not just standing stationary. Maybe include a coach in a zebra shirt to double as a ref in the middle -- better put on a helmet though. Or do it in the end zone where it's usually crowded


True, I think Harbaugh actually has a drill where they run behind a barrier and have to catch the ball with just a moment to adjust. I love these drills as the WRs and TEs need to improve sighting and adjusting to the ball in all areas of the field.

Oldman9er--love the idea of night practice! There were too many plays last year where the receiver did circles trying to locate the ball. I can recall two TDs that weren't due to this lack of tracking.

49erall--Not sure I go for the arrow idea. Perhaps they should have to catch a venomous snake if they drop a ball? That might help them focus.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 7, 2012 at 11:57 AM ]
They should have resistant bands around their elbows attached to a waist belt. Every time they put up their arms for a catch the band acts as a defender pulling on their arms while catching the ball....

OK, slow offseason idea
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM ]
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I know a good tight end drill


Besides being difficult, the drill serves as a mini-competition for a position group that now includes defensive tackle Demarcus Dobbs working at a new position.

So far, Dobbs has impressed the 49ers tight ends with his natural athletic ability.

"I think he's doing a great job," Byham said. "He had a little bit of a learning curve the first few weeks, but he caught on really quickly and he's really becoming a dual-threat: a legitimate tight end as well as an established d-lineman.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Besides being difficult, the drill serves as a mini-competition for a position group that now includes defensive tackle Demarcus Dobbs working at a new position.

So far, Dobbs has impressed the 49ers tight ends with his natural athletic ability.

"I think he's doing a great job," Byham said. "He had a little bit of a learning curve the first few weeks, but he caught on really quickly and he's really becoming a dual-threat: a legitimate tight end as well as an established d-lineman.

I do see him in some jumbo packages but i dont see him catching anything unless we are up by a lot
Beats lining up and running into each other....... How was Sing ever a coach?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Besides being difficult, the drill serves as a mini-competition for a position group that now includes defensive tackle Demarcus Dobbs working at a new position.

So far, Dobbs has impressed the 49ers tight ends with his natural athletic ability.

"I think he's doing a great job," Byham said. "He had a little bit of a learning curve the first few weeks, but he caught on really quickly and he's really becoming a dual-threat: a legitimate tight end as well as an established d-lineman.

I do see him in some jumbo packages but i dont see him catching anything unless we are up by a lot

4 TE Package.






































Davis Walker Tuk Dobbs with ELMike flying by everyone
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Beats lining up and running into each other....... How was Sing ever a coach?


Great player--skipped the coaching ladder--terrible HC. No substitute for working your way up. I love them working on skills every day. No wasted moments!