LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 163 users in the forums

ABs 2nd 53 man and 8 man P-Squad roster prediciton

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Great job AB83! I do think Haralson is gone too. No way can he stay at that figure for this team. We could go with a younger back up guy who can play better on special teams also!
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
He was 6th in the league in rushing. 4.3 ypc (career avg. is 4.6), 1200 yards, 5 straight games over 100 yards, had 8 TDs (had the same amount his 2006 season and has only gone over that total one time in his career. 2009 he had 10). Don't see how that was one of his worst seasons. he had huge games against the eagles (8.5 ypc), lions (9.4) and a healthy 5.6 ypc in the playoffs.

I watched every game, usually more than once. I know what he did last year. He broke almost no tackles, got some really good blocking and creative plays called for him and frequently left yards on the field - because he broke almost no tackles and isn't really that fast. Those highlights are not impressive. He's not so bad that he can't cut it in the NFL, but Kendell - no question at all - could have done more with some of the runs we called for Gore last year. Just by virtue of his speed and the fact he actually was breaking some tackles.

He's still got vision and enough burst to be serviceable, but he ain't elite anymore. Those days are past him.

Gore also was inconsistent in protection (usually a strength, so I'll write it off to learning a new offense) and literally dropped almost as many passes as he caught.

In every way he wasn't exceptional last year. And a clear example of why the Pro Bowl really doesn't mean much at all,
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Jun 3, 2012 at 10:32 PM ]
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Right now only the top 51 salaries count against the cap, not all 90 players. Once season begins, or hence cut downs take place, all players count, thus less cap space for the team.

The team will activate all 5 WRs(Moss,Crabs, Manningham, Jenkins and Ginn) on game days. But a 6th isnt needed, he will never see the field, especially if we want to get Jenkins into the game.

It's never a good idea to play with contracts. 1st the player may not want to redo it, and 2nd never good for future caps. Best player to do a redo is Justin Smith as part of a extension.

Normally pushing money forward can be really damaging long term, but in this case the NFL cap is expected to jump dramatically when the new TV deal starts. Anyway, I can see them getting Justin extended and pushing some money into future years (when the TV deal comes around) for him.
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Right now only the top 51 salaries count against the cap, not all 90 players. Once season begins, or hence cut downs take place, all players count, thus less cap space for the team.

The team will activate all 5 WRs(Moss,Crabs, Manningham, Jenkins and Ginn) on game days. But a 6th isnt needed, he will never see the field, especially if we want to get Jenkins into the game.

It's never a good idea to play with contracts. 1st the player may not want to redo it, and 2nd never good for future caps. Best player to do a redo is Justin Smith as part of a extension.

I think you are wrong about only going forward with 5 WR. We will go with at least 6 and Williams being one of them.
[ Edited by juycho on Jun 3, 2012 at 10:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Evilgenius:

Normally pushing money forward can be really damaging long term, but in this case the NFL cap is expected to jump dramatically when the new TV deal starts. Anyway, I can see them getting Justin extended and pushing some money into future years (when the TV deal comes around) for him.

Apparently there is no guarantee the cap will jump like I thought it would. Owners want to keep it at the same level as it is. NFLPA wants a better system to jump the cap higher, which it should IMO. I don't know if the cap will jump significantly in 2013 like thought.
I think one big aspect to this discussion which is really being overlooked is this....

Remember...the Rams are second in line to pick up any players the Niners cast off.

So....do you all want to see Kyle Williams go to the Rams next season and possibly be their starting slot receiver? I don't. He may have muffed a couple of punts but he is a very quick guy with some breakaway speed. In fact, I re-watched some of the SF-NY Championship game and he nearly broke one punt return (I think in the third quarter)... Slipped on the turf. If he doesn't, he likely goes the distance. This is probably why Harbaugh gave him the green light on returns in the fourth quarter and OT.

The Niners are surely being eyed by a number of those "bottom-feeding" teams because they all know SF has a very stocked roster already and are going to have to cut some talented guys. This makes the decision of who to cut and who not to cut even more complex....and a big reason why I think Kyle makes the Niners' 53.

Going further, I think it will be very difficult for the Niners to even stock their practice squad this next year without losing some guys. Do they really think they can waive guys like Slowey, Palmer, Reuland, or Hampton for example, and not have any team bite all year? I wonder...

Your thoughts?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I agree with almost all of the roster moves, but I just can't see how Kendall Hunter is inactive under any circumstance. I see him as a guy that can take over as the main RB by 2014. To go from being a productive rookie to inactive is a real headscratcher. I do understand there is a serious logjam at RB, but I think they keep Byham inactive before they keep Hunter inactive. Any chance we go with 3 backs out there at once?

I'm gonna have to go along with this...

Cheers!
AB you didn't weigh in on the Dashon Goldson thread. Is the risk/reward worth $8mil factoring in our cap?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
AB you didn't weigh in on the Dashon Goldson thread. Is the risk/reward worth $8mil factoring in our cap?

I factored in his $6.212M franchise tender into it. We could gain a little by extending him, but I think it seems like we aren't gonna cave and give him Eric Weddle money, too much. I am against 8M a yr. More around 5.5M is fair, but he wants top Safety money, which is outrageous.

If he is signed long term, I rather shred only about 1M, and have a low 2013 number, so we aren't having a potential issue in 2013 if the cap doesn't go up like it should.
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
I am very surprised nobody really pointed out that OP has Hunter as an inactive player. There is no way Hunter is not suited up during games. In fact, I think the Niners are grooming him to be our next starter, with L. James getting 30-40% of the carries.

This. Rock cartwright is replacing costanzo he won't sniff a single snap at running back. It's yet to see if Brandon Jacobs even makes the team and you are penciling in Hunter as an inactive. He had a good year last year and as of right now i see him as the heir apparent to Gore. Possibly will split carries with James down the road but I do not foresee a scenario where he will be inactive.

Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
I am very surprised nobody really pointed out that OP has Hunter as an inactive player. There is no way Hunter is not suited up during games. In fact, I think the Niners are grooming him to be our next starter, with L. James getting 30-40% of the carries.

This. Rock cartwright is replacing costanzo he won't sniff a single snap at running back. It's yet to see if Brandon Jacobs even makes the team and you are penciling in Hunter as an inactive. He had a good year last year and as of right now i see him as the heir apparent to Gore. Possibly will split carries with James down the road but I do not foresee a scenario where he will be inactive.

IMO if we keep Gore, James, Jacobs and Hunter, then one has to be inactive, and that would be Hunter, I don't see Jacobs being a good citizen if he doesn't play. I wouldn't blame him, he signed then we drafted James. Jacobs, If making the team which I think is very likely, will be the short yardage back.

The following are game day actives IMO.

QB(2): Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick
RB(3): Frank Gore, LaMichael James and Rock Cartwright(I list him as a RB because that is what he would play if need be)
FB(1): Bruce Miller
WR(5): Randy Moss, Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham, Ted Ginn Jr. and A.J. Jenkins
TE(3): Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker and Nate Byham
C(1): Jonathan Goodwin
OG(3): Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore and Joe Looney(As long as he is ready by week 1)
OT(3): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Alex Boone
DE(3): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and Will Tukuafu
NT(2): Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean Francois
OLB(2): Ahmad Brooks and Aldon Smith
ILB(4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden
CB(3): Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown and Chris Culliver
S(4): Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman and Colin Jones(LIsted as a Safety because that would be position if needed)
ST(3): David Akers, Andy Lee and Brian Jennings

By my count that's 42 of the 46 actives allowed. 2 of those will be OLBs, some combination of Haralson(If takes a pay cut, or someone is extended to allow himn to stay at his figure), Bakhtiari, K.Brown and Cam Johnson.

Then a 4th CB, someone from this list, Perrish Cox, Curtis Holcomb, Tramaine Brock, 2 will make the team as a backups.

The last comes down to either Jacobs or Hunter. I would activate Hunter, but I feel the 49ers will activate Jacobs.

Also can't go light on some positions. OL needs 7, DL 5, WR would be 5 if we want Jenkins in the game on some plays, plus Ginn will count as he isn't being inactive.

Jones and Cartwright would be active, both are good for Special Teams.
I respect your opinion man and i definitely appreciate all the work you have put into this. I see that you would start hunter so i think we pretty much agree on this. Training camp will give us a much better picture but i see hunter as the better player than jacobs and I can't imagine harbaugh putting Jacobs on the actives list just to keep him from throwing a fit.
I respect your opinion man and i definitely appreciate all the work you have put into this. I see that you would start hunter so i think we pretty much agree on this. Training camp will give us a much better picture but i see hunter as the better player than jacobs and I can't imagine harbaugh putting Jacobs on the actives list just to keep him from throwing a fit.

I know, but Jacobs has a history of being unhappy about playing time, so he would be upset. I would put Hunter on actives, he has more ability to break a run or pass caught.

I know, but Jacobs has a history of being unhappy about playing time, so he would be upset. I would put Hunter on actives, he has more ability to break a run or pass caught.

Seem like cutting Jacobs would solve both problems. Is Brandon Jacobs good enough to make our roster? Only time will tell.
  • cools
  • Veteran
I think Hampton ends up taking Jacobs spot, at some point.
Good inside runner with power, quickness and vision

Harbs will eventually turn the RB position into a group of 3 or 4 RB's that share the season load
James, Hunter and Hampton seem like a fantastic combination
Share 49ersWebzone