There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The acquisition that wasn't

Sure, if Peyton Manning was available, a Coach& GM would have to take a look. Probably to not have done so would have been considered not doing their jobs. But right now, had we gotten Peyton, we, as a franchise would be cooked. Instead , our guys did the right thing, stayed with the QB they had, and didn't permanently and irrevocably screw up our salary cap. We would have ended up like Denver, which has 1/4(or thereabouts) of their entire cap going to one guy, and that is after 3 neck surgeries. (As an aside, you don't do a 2nd and 3rd surgery if the 1st one went well).

So, here we are, brand new season, 7th yr qb , knows the Harbaugh (not Peyton) system perfectly, and we have the same D and ST as last yr, both #1, plus now we have added all the receivers, scatbacks, RBs, that we needed, got 3 good candidates to improve a less than perfect OL....and we are ready to make a legitimate run at the title. Had we acquired Peyton, good as he is, we wouldn't have been able to keep the D players we needed, nor could we have afforded all the O players added. Maybe for a yr, maybe not. But the good thing is , B& H did NOT sign Peyton, so all the above is just stuff we don't have to worry about. What I do wonder is, how is Denver going to carve out that much money when next yr comes around. They probably will have to raid the OL , DL , DBs, WRs, RBs, et al, just to be able to pay Peyton. In essence, scab the rest of the team just to pay their QB.

There are a few things in life, where if you decided NOT to do something really monumental, you came out a lot better than you would had you made that gamble.
It's true in new businesses, new acquisitions( of companies), and it is true in the NFL. Turns out our BEST move this yr...and there were a lot of them...was NOT to have signed Peyton. Hey, I got Peyton taking the Broncs to 8-8 this yr. God help 'em next yr...they are gonna need it.
I would've taken Manning... Until he showed he doesn't have the heart
Good post.

Agree. Now we have to go and kick ass and rub it in to every team including Denver.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

You would sign a 90 million dollar QB with a glass neck?
Playing the NFL game is a lot like playing poker...you have to play the cards you are dealt. Personally, I like these cards, and wouldn't want to trade them for anyone else's.
Manning would have wanted more than money . . . . control of the offence plays, not going to happen here.
Great post/thread. The average fans might have not thought of all these points
Great post. Take one third of Harbaugh's starters off the field and replace them with minimum wage free agents or rookies that aren't ready, I don't care how good your QB and HC are, you haven't built a winning team. Certainly not a perennial power house.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

You would sign a 90 million dollar QB with a glass neck?
Yupp and so was harbaalke

Are you sure about that, I know they were interested in signing Manning but I dont remember the offer or if an offer was set forward.

Are you sure about that, I know they were interested in signing Manning but I dont remember the offer or if an offer was set forward.

C'mon bro you can't be serious. They were heavily pursuing him. He turned us down not the other way around lol. It was barely two months ago have you forgot already?

We were never actually in the Manning hunt. We did someone a favor... that's all.

But hypothetically, even if we were? It's Peyton Manning. It's not like we were looking into acquiring some scrub to take Alex's place.
C'mon bro you can't be serious. They were heavily pursuing him. He turned us down not the other way around lol. It was barely two months ago have you forgot already?

Oh no I remember, but I really don't remember an offer set forward to Manning from us. Denvers offer was well publicized, once Elway was willing to overpay and hand over control of the offense to Manning it seemed the light for Harbaalke came on and said yeah hes not worth that kind of sacrifice. But thats just my opinion.

Oh no I remember, but I really don't remember an offer set forward to Manning from us. Denvers offer was well publicized, once Elway was willing to overpay and hand over control of the offense to Manning it seemed the light for Harbaalke came on and said yeah hes not worth that kind of sacrifice. But thats just my opinion.

No contract was ever publicized during the process until after he had signed. Just that Denver had more than the other two teams, Niners had the least but a shot at a Lombardi. You are high if you think we weren't going after him
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
This is the "we didn't get him so this is why we are better off without him" thread. If we had signed him it would be the "we finally have an elite qb and we're better because of it" thread. Peyton alone makes any team a contender until he is proven unable to play due to his health. We'll find out if he is worth the gamble later on but to write him off now is a bit premature.