There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers rank 4th in ESPN future rankings.

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by BayArea:
I think the Giants are overrated, I know they beat us but in a lot of ways we beat ourselves.

They also got every single lucky break known to man to get them another superbowl win. God is a Giants fan I swear.

Overrated?

They have an elite QB, good offense, and great pass rush. Sounds like a legit team to me.

Yes, overrated. They do NOT have an elite QB. He is average, and has been carried by the rest of the team. The 49ers beat them (and themselves, unfortunately). The giants were shut down in the 2nd half, until the game was given to them on a platter. They had every break go their way in the 2nd half of the season as well. Remember, they were 9-8, one stinking win from being a .500 team. And if you remember, last year people were complaining the seahawks made the playoffs with a losing record.

I give Giants defense as much credit as any part of the game on either sides. People forget that they stopped GOAT() Aaron Rodgers a week prior dead in his tracks. People like to blame our offense of Kyle Williams for losing the SB, but I give just as much if not more credit to the Giants defense. They litterally took away our WR's and made us a one dimensional offense.

You say the Giants were shut down in the second half but so were we. We were stopped dead in our tracks. They just had the better team, unfortunately and got healthy at the right time in the season.

The Giants defense did not stop Aaron Rodgers dead in his tracks, the Packers receivers did.
I read this article, and agreed with a lot of what they said. You have to remember this was a confidence pole for how these teams would perform over the next few years, not an attempt to say where everyone would finish next year. A lot of you seem to get caught up in specifics..its just a general feeling for how these teams do buisness, how their roster is set up now and for future years and the quality of the coaching staff...doesnt mean the Pack wont be better than the Giants next year or we wont beat both of them...just that as thing stand right now we all look pretty good over the next five years or so.
A lot of you complain about the giants being over rated but i disagree. Eli is elite, and look at who they beat on their SB run, the #1 and #2 seed in the NFC, #1 in the AFC. They say to be the best you got to beat the best. Well?
Originally posted by 49erRider:
The Giants defense did not stop Aaron Rodgers dead in his tracks, the Packers receivers did.

What the help is the difference between that and our wr we have had less talent and the 2nd most drops in NFL this year


Also Rodgers didn't play good that game he missed Greg Jennings open deep 2x one of them he held the ball too long which ended up as a fumble
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on May 24, 2012 at 7:23 AM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for Kronos2560.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Walterfootball.com has the 49ers as the 14th best team going into 2012

walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php

That has to be one of the most offensive and ignorant things Ive read about the 49ers in a long time.
offseason Ranking get a grip people , lets wait and see start of the season.
Originally posted by northvan49erman:
From ESPN Insider: 1) GB 2) NE 3)NYG 4)SF ..... FYI NFC WEST: 21)Seahawks 24)Rams 26)Cardinals ... Bottom: 30)Jack 31)Minn 32)CLE

Roster: Right now the Niners' D is loaded with playmakers and they will stay elite because of their front seven, led by ILBs Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman. On offense, they are young and improving along the offensive line, but they will need to restock their skill positions in the next couple of years. There are enough difference-makers capable of several years more of production to keep them very competitive. -- Horton

Quarterback: Alex Smith had his best season in the league last year, but ranked just 22nd in QBR. Why? Well, Smith did his best work because he was so risk averse. He limited INTs, but often at the cost of holding onto the ball, taking a number of needless sacks. The jury is still out on him -- with the added weapons, if he's not better, San Fran must look for more, with Colin Kaepernick waiting in the wings. -- Dilfer

Draft: San Francisco is one of the better drafting teams in recent years. The roster looks strong at nearly every position group, and the fact that the 49ers are No. 4 in these rankings even with the limitations we've seen at QB is a testament to that. DE Aldon Smith(No. 7 pick, 2011) was a risk that paid off big. You like their chances because of solid young talent in a number of spots. -- Kiper

Front office: Trent Baalke is a very astute general manager, and while he has final say on all personnel matters, he lets Jim Harbaugh and the coaching staff have major input. In the past there were too many voices in the front office, but now the chain of command is more clear-cut and simplified. They identify their needs well and, while they prefer to build through the draft, they are not afraid to spend in free agency. When they do, the Niners are very responsible with how they spend their money, and veteran free agents love the positive and energetic coaching staff. -- Horton

Coaching: These guys are at the top of the NFL in terms of teaching staffs, as reflected by their college coaching backgrounds. They are outstanding technicians, they pay tremendous attention to detail and they are very innovative in their schemes on both sides of the ball. Although they haven't been together a long time there is tremendous loyalty to Harbaugh. They also have a nice blend of NFL coaching experience and young coaching enthusiasm. -- Horton

It's funny that Dilfer is the one talking about QB production
I still don't know why the giants are ranked so high on peoples lists. I guarantee they won't make the playoffs this year.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
It's funny that Dilfer is the one talking about QB production


hes an analysit now doesnt matter


however i HATE the QBR system

after the eagles game alex got a 21 QBR which means you shouldnt even be in nfl - after leading a 20 point comeback that is just unacceptable in terms of a stat guidline after that game i completely disregarded that stat
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
*waits for the usual suspects to come in and slam these experts/analysts for badmouthing Alex*

This ranking is spot on IMO. Its really nice that we finally have a coaching staff and general manager that fans can really get behind. Its been a long time. Its nice to see those two things getting good pub from national media as well.

This
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Walterfootball.com has the 49ers as the 14th best team going into 2012

walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php

That has to be one of the most offensive and ignorant things Ive read about the 49ers in a long time.

Bears, Chiefs
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
A lot of you complain about the giants being over rated but i disagree. Eli is elite, and look at who they beat on their SB run, the #1 and #2 seed in the NFC, #1 in the AFC. They say to be the best you got to beat the best. Well?

Part of the reason they won the SB was the Patriots biggest mismatch was injured and could barely run the length of the field. Theyre road to the SB was also filled with teams that beat themselves.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on May 25, 2012 at 7:15 PM ]
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by northvan49erman:
From ESPN Insider: 1) GB 2) NE 3)NYG 4)SF ..... FYI NFC WEST: 21)Seahawks 24)Rams 26)Cardinals ... Bottom: 30)Jack 31)Minn 32)CLE

Roster: Right now the Niners' D is loaded with playmakers and they will stay elite because of their front seven, led by ILBs Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman. On offense, they are young and improving along the offensive line, but they will need to restock their skill positions in the next couple of years. There are enough difference-makers capable of several years more of production to keep them very competitive. -- Horton

Quarterback: Alex Smith had his best season in the league last year, but ranked just 22nd in QBR. Why? Well, Smith did his best work because he was so risk averse. He limited INTs, but often at the cost of holding onto the ball, taking a number of needless sacks. The jury is still out on him -- with the added weapons, if he's not better, San Fran must look for more, with Colin Kaepernick waiting in the wings. -- Dilfer

Draft: San Francisco is one of the better drafting teams in recent years. The roster looks strong at nearly every position group, and the fact that the 49ers are No. 4 in these rankings even with the limitations we've seen at QB is a testament to that. DE Aldon Smith(No. 7 pick, 2011) was a risk that paid off big. You like their chances because of solid young talent in a number of spots. -- Kiper

Front office: Trent Baalke is a very astute general manager, and while he has final say on all personnel matters, he lets Jim Harbaugh and the coaching staff have major input. In the past there were too many voices in the front office, but now the chain of command is more clear-cut and simplified. They identify their needs well and, while they prefer to build through the draft, they are not afraid to spend in free agency. When they do, the Niners are very responsible with how they spend their money, and veteran free agents love the positive and energetic coaching staff. -- Horton

Coaching: These guys are at the top of the NFL in terms of teaching staffs, as reflected by their college coaching backgrounds. They are outstanding technicians, they pay tremendous attention to detail and they are very innovative in their schemes on both sides of the ball. Although they haven't been together a long time there is tremendous loyalty to Harbaugh. They also have a nice blend of NFL coaching experience and young coaching enthusiasm. -- Horton

It's funny that Dilfer is the one talking about QB production


This
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Walterfootball.com has the 49ers as the 14th best team going into 2012

walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php

That has to be one of the most offensive and ignorant things Ive read about the 49ers in a long time.

Bears, Chiefs

I fear the Bears way more than Green Bay this year. They almost beat Green Bay to win the Superbowl 2 years ago.
This year they found a way to get Cutler his receiver and everyone is coming back healthy. They had a good draft and like us they are hungry for a super bowl win (1985). They could be as dangerous as us.
Originally posted by BayArea:
I think the Giants are overrated, I know they beat us but in a lot of ways we beat ourselves.

They also got every single lucky break known to man to get them another superbowl win. God is a Giants fan I swear.


You....are correct, sir!

After watching the key plays to that SF/NY game a second time, it was really uncanny. Virtually every break in the game went NY's way....2 Niners going for the easy interception and knocking it away from each other (twice!!), clear holding penalties on NY time after time not called, loose balls bouncing directly into the hands of a Giant when 3-4 Niners are right around the ball, the NY fumble that was not a fumble and the final Kyle fumble on a lame arm tackle... In all my years of watching pro football (over 40 now), I've never seen a team as outplayed as NY was in the second half of that game and actually win. Conspiracy!!!

Cheers!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home