There are 171 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers rank 4th in ESPN future rankings.

Originally posted by DirtyP:
Walterfootball.com has the 49ers as the 14th best team going into 2012

walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php

And this is the problem with stat nerds.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

And this is the problem with stat nerds.

Walter, like many others, think the 49ers were lucky last year. What they fail to understand is that this team is young, athletic, and only going to get better. But it doesn't matter anyway. Bring on the HATERS. It makes winning just that much more sweet!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by BayArea:
I think the Giants are overrated, I know they beat us but in a lot of ways we beat ourselves.

They also got every single lucky break known to man to get them another superbowl win. God is a Giants fan I swear.

Overrated?

They have an elite QB, good offense, and great pass rush. Sounds like a legit team to me.

Yes, overrated. They do NOT have an elite QB. He is average, and has been carried by the rest of the team. The 49ers beat them (and themselves, unfortunately). The giants were shut down in the 2nd half, until the game was given to them on a platter. They had every break go their way in the 2nd half of the season as well. Remember, they were 9-8, one stinking win from being a .500 team. And if you remember, last year people were complaining the seahawks made the playoffs with a losing record.
We were ranked 28th last year if I'm not mistaken.
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Yes, overrated. They do NOT have an elite QB. He is average, and has been carried by the rest of the team. The 49ers beat them (and themselves, unfortunately). The giants were shut down in the 2nd half, until the game was given to them on a platter. They had every break go their way in the 2nd half of the season as well. Remember, they were 9-8, one stinking win from being a .500 team. And if you remember, last year people were complaining the seahawks made the playoffs with a losing record.

I agree that the Giants are slightly overrated but Eli Manning is a legit elite QB, arguably the best in the entire NFC. Just because they got shut down by the best defense in the NFL in the second half of one game doesn't change that. They wouldn't have even had a winning record without Manning much less a Super Bowl win

2 superbowls and 3 4000+ yard 25+ touchdown seasons in the last 5 years = Elite QB
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 23, 2012 at 1:33 PM ]
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Originally posted by BayArea:
I think the Giants are overrated, I know they beat us but in a lot of ways we beat ourselves.

They also got every single lucky break known to man to get them another superbowl win. God is a Giants fan I swear.

Overrated?

They have an elite QB, good offense, and great pass rush. Sounds like a legit team to me.

I give Giants defense as much credit as any part of the game on either sides. People forget that they stopped GOAT() Aaron Rodgers a week prior dead in his tracks. People like to blame our offense of Kyle Williams for losing the SB, but I give just as much if not more credit to the Giants defense. They litterally took away our WR's and made us a one dimensional offense.

You say the Giants were shut down in the second half but so were we. We were stopped dead in our tracks. They just had the better team, unfortunately and got healthy at the right time in the season.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I give Giants defense as much credit as any part of the game on either sides. People forget that they stopped GOAT() Aaron Rodgers a week prior dead in his tracks. People like to blame our offense of Kyle Williams for losing the SB, but I give just as much if not more credit to the Giants defense. They litterally took away our WR's and made us a one dimensional offense.

You say the Giants were shut down in the second half but so were we. We were stopped dead in our tracks. They just had the better team, unfortunately and got healthy at the right time in the season.

They didn't take away our wide receivers, we had none. It was easy for decent defenses to stop our passing attack last year, we simply could not move the ball because we didn't have enough playmakers. Alex Smith and Crabree/Kyle Williams beating Eli Manning and Cruz/Hakeem Nicks would have been a miracle regardless of what our defense did
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 23, 2012 at 1:38 PM ]

They didn't take away our wide receivers, we had none. It was easy for decent defenses to stop our passing attack last year. The credit should go to their offense for being able to score the points they needed to to win.

Around the last 8 minutes Manning had 3 possessions, while Alex had 2. In Ot they had 3 possessions while Alex had 1. Manning had 6 possessions while Alex had only 3. The offense didn't do a single thing until Eli handed the ball off three straight times in FG range. Both defenses were on shut down mode. Not just ours.
Around the last 8 minutes Manning had 3 possessions, while Alex had 2. In Ot they had 3 possessions while Alex had 1. Manning had 6 possessions while Alex had only 3. The offense didn't do a single thing until Eli handed the ball off three straight times in FG range. Both defenses were on shut down mode. Not just ours.

You fail to take into account the fact that our offense was a very easy one to shut down while theirs was elite. We beat ourselves. I've watched that game plenty of times and you will never be able to convince me otherwise. The Giants D is slightly above average and that was all that was needed to shut down the 2011 49er offense.
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM ]

You fail to take into account that our offense was a very easy one to shut down while theirs was elite. We beat ourselves. I've watched that game plenty of times and you will never be able to convince me otherwise. The Giants D is slightly above average and that was all that was needed to shut down the 2011 49er offense.

How did they shut down Aaron Rodgers then if they were so average? They got pressure on Aaron Rodgers and completely took him out of the game. Sure there was some dropped passes, but their defense outplayed the best offense in the NFL. How can that be considered average?

But I digress.
How did they shut down Aaron Rodgers then if they were so average? They got pressure on Aaron Rodgers and completely took him out of the game. Sure there was some dropped passes, but their defense outplayed the best offense in the NFL. How can that be considered average?

But I digress.

with all the weapons they had i think alex actually did a lot better than rodgers that game alex had 2 TD 0 INT to rodgers 2 TD 1 INT and alex also had a higher YPA
Tom Brady is 34. In 2015 he will be 37. Will he be able to keep up the elite play?

I agree with GB and NYG as future juggernauts, but I think the Patriot's window is already closing and will be shut by the time 2015 rolls around.

I would replace NE with Detroit or Carolina. The barometer on both of those teams is pointed up.

New englands got Ryan mallett sitting around with Welker/Gronk/Hernandez chillin..

He has the Chiefs in front of the 49ers.

(crumples list into a ball, throws it in the trash)

But I digress.

Aaron Rodgers receivers let him down against the Giants. He made some amazing throws that were flat out not caught, led his team in rushing and was practically trying to win the game by himself in the 4th quarter. The Packers had a lot of poor play and showed poor effort in that game. Any decent defense has a good chance to take advantage of an offense that comes out completely flat in the playoffs like the Packers did. The Superbowl was no different, their defense caught alot of breaks. They also were the 28th ranked team against the pass, they struggled stopping the run and they nearly missed the playoffs with a 9 and 7 record last year.
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 23, 2012 at 3:43 PM ]
any links?