There are 225 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Frank Gore Still Going to be Frank Gore?

Originally posted by HessianDud:
a Khunt with VD and Crabs will devastate any D.

Well played sir.

Originally posted by 9erred:
Do you mean is Frank going to do the following:
1. Break a long run only to tire out after 50 yards slow down and get caught from behind?
2. Run so hard that he is done after 10 games.
3. Play injured which does not help the team.
4. Be worn out before the play offs.

I think number 1 will happen. Number 2-4 can be prevented by using Gore sparingly on a rotation basis. It is my firm belief that is why they brought in Jacobs and drafted Lemichael James. The Niners want a 100% Gore going into the post season.

Out of those options I guess I'm most concerned with #4. Seeing Gore take himself out of the NFC Championship Game really struck a cord with me, and left me wondering if he's still capable of carrying the load over the course of a full season. People reference the 5 game streak as proof that he still has it, but it seems to me kind of a waste if Frank is at his best at the beginning of the season instead of at the end.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
I love Gire. But he wasn't himself in the playoffs. Mabey he'll be himself if he is truely rested by the end of the season. So he must learn to share with the other children.

Actually, Frank was very effective in the playoffs. He averaged 5.6 yards on 29 carries for 163 yards. Add to that 13 receptions for 83 yards.
Not denying he was solid. It just seemed to me he took himself out of the games at bad moments. Looked worn down at times. Only going on memory of giants game. I can not get myself to go back and watch that one again, sorry.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Well played sir.


Out of those options I guess I'm most concerned with #4. Seeing Gore take himself out of the NFC Championship Game really struck a cord with me, and left me wondering if he's still capable of carrying the load over the course of a full season. People reference the 5 game streak as proof that he still has it, but it seems to me kind of a waste if Frank is at his best at the beginning of the season instead of at the end.


Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
Not denying he was solid. It just seemed to me he took himself out of the games at bad moments. Looked worn down at times. Only going on memory of giants game. I can not get myself to go back and watch that one again, sorry.

What is this crap? Frank Gore did not remove himself from a playoff game in any way shape or form.
Gore is still by far and away the best running back on the 49ers roster. Anyone who thinks otherwise would realize how important he is if we had to have Hunter Jacobs or James as our starting runningback
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM ]
Thought I would post some stats for folks:

These are Franks avg. yards per carry over the course of a season broken down by attempts 1-10, 11-20, and 21-30. It is interesting to note that Frank has always been very effective in his first 10 carries of a game. There has been no drop off there. Notice however that in his 4th season (2008) there was a significant drop-off in his 21-30th carries of a game. And in his 7th season (2011) there was a drop off in his 11-20th carries of a game.

This suggests that Gore has already reached the point where he can still be effective, but only with limited carries. I think if he is limited to 10-15 carries (max) per game, he will last through 2012 and be a valuable contributor for this team through 2013 as well.

2011:
Attempts 1 -10: 5.0 yrds
Attempts 11-20: 3.9 yrds
Attempts 21-30: 2.4 yrds

2010:
Attempts 1 -10: 3.8 yrds
Attempts 11-20: 4.9 yrds
Attempts 21-30: 3.2 yrds

2009:
Attempts 1 -10: 5.0 yrds
Attempts 11-20: 5.5 yrds
Attempts 21-30: 2.0 yrds

2008:
Attempts 1 -10: 4.6 yrds
Attempts 11-20: 4.2 yrds
Attempts 21-30: 2.4 yrds

2007:
Attempts 1 -10: 4.0 yrds
Attempts 11-20: 4.6 yrds
Attempts 21-30: 4.4 yrds

2006:
Attempts 1 -10: 5.8 yrds
Attempts 11-20: 4.9 yrds
Attempts 21-30: 5.7 yrds
Originally posted by blm7754:
Thought I would post some stats for folks:

These are Franks avg. yards per carry over the course of a season broken down by attempts 1-10, 11-20, and 21-30. It is interesting to note that Frank has always been very effective in his first 10 carries of a game. There has been no drop off there. Notice however that in his 4th season (2008) there was a significant drop-off in his 21-30th carries of a game. And in his 7th season (2011) there was a drop off in his 11-20th carries of a game.

This suggests that Gore has already reached the point where he can still be effective, but only with limited carries. I think if he is limited to 10-15 carries (max) per game, he will last through 2012 and be a valuable contributor for this team through 2013 as well.

2011:
Attempts 1 -10: 5.0 yrds
Attempts 11-20: 3.9 yrds
Attempts 21-30: 2.4 yrds

2010:
Attempts 1 -10: 3.8 yrds
Attempts 11-20: 4.9 yrds
Attempts 21-30: 3.2 yrds

2009:
Attempts 1 -10: 5.0 yrds
Attempts 11-20: 5.5 yrds
Attempts 21-30: 2.0 yrds

2008:
Attempts 1 -10: 4.6 yrds
Attempts 11-20: 4.2 yrds
Attempts 21-30: 2.4 yrds

2007:
Attempts 1 -10: 4.0 yrds
Attempts 11-20: 4.6 yrds
Attempts 21-30: 4.4 yrds

2006:
Attempts 1 -10: 5.8 yrds
Attempts 11-20: 4.9 yrds
Attempts 21-30: 5.7 yrds

Most running backs average less per carry after they've had 20, it means your team is likely ahead and the defense is keying on the run
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
I love Gire. But he wasn't himself in the playoffs. Mabey he'll be himself if he is truely rested by the end of the season. So he must learn to share with the other children.

Actually, Frank was very effective in the playoffs. He averaged 5.6 yards on 29 carries for 163 yards. Add to that 13 receptions for 83 yards.
Not denying he was solid. It just seemed to me he took himself out of the games at bad moments. Looked worn down at times. Only going on memory of giants game. I can not get myself to go back and watch that one again, sorry.

I think you are only remembering that because he didn't get as many carries in the playoffs as we are used to seeing him get. We've seen Frank routinely get 20+ carries a game since 2006. Its time we get used to the fact that he can't do that anymore and just be happy with the fact that he is a VERY good RB when limited to fewer carries.

That is what we should all expect to see in 2012.
Rotate the monsters -- problem solved.

Maybe first two drives you use Gore...hopefully score TDs, and rest the man.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Rotate the monsters -- problem solved.

Maybe first two drives you use Gore...hopefully score TDs, and rest the man.

This.

We just have to accept the fact that we don't have an every down RB anymore. But many of the best teams don't either. Its not necessary in today's NFL.
Frank gonna Tank.
We will get him a ring and he will retire before we have to cut him.
Originally posted by jreff22:
We will get him a ring and he will retire before we have to cut him.

I really hope it happens for him/us this year.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
We will get him a ring and he will retire before we have to cut him.

I really hope it happens for him/us this year.

i was thinking about starting a thread on this subject....say we win a superbowl or two, which players will retire

Gore
J Smith
Ice
Jennings
Moss
Jacobs
Goodwin
Akers

...?
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
I love Gire. But he wasn't himself in the playoffs. Mabey he'll be himself if he is truely rested by the end of the season. So he must learn to share with the other children.

Actually, Frank was very effective in the playoffs. He averaged 5.6 yards on 29 carries for 163 yards. Add to that 13 receptions for 83 yards.
Not denying he was solid. It just seemed to me he took himself out of the games at bad moments. Looked worn down at times. Only going on memory of giants game. I can not get myself to go back and watch that one again, sorry.

I think you are only remembering that because he didn't get as many carries in the playoffs as we are used to seeing him get. We've seen Frank routinely get 20+ carries a game since 2006. Its time we get used to the fact that he can't do that anymore and just be happy with the fact that he is a VERY good RB when limited to fewer carries.

That is what we should all expect to see in 2012.

Pretty much what I said in the first place.
If the 49ers win the Superbowl, do you really think Gore is gonna care how much times he carried the ball. All the guy cares about is winning, its been that way since he got here. Do i think Frank Gore is still gonne be Frank Gore? Of course he is, who else is he gonna be.