LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

The Jim Harbaugh's Motivational 101

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
The salsa thing with Rogers happened last year and the media was digging into old news to try to formulate a new story. The difference between Harbaughs comments about sea and gilbrides comments was gilbrides was directed at officiating and trying to get them to focus on Justin, Harbaughs comments were directed to the nfl wanting to know whether physical play of the level sea was using with there secondary was acceptable, and with as physical play as our DBS and safety's give I would want to know also so I can alter my coverage schemes. The media just b******tted fans into thinking he was crying about the officiating. IMO he wanted clarity on whether physical play of that extreme was within the rules.

Yes, the salsa dancing was a story last year. But Rogers is the one who resurrected it. Don't blame the media. They were only doing their job. They didn't force him to discuss getting back at Cruz. Come on guys, don't act like the Niner organization can do no wrong and it's never their fault.

Also, I agree with Harbaugh about Seattles DB's. But what you can do, and what you should do are two very different things.
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't disagree with the media twisting his comments and misinterpreting him. However, he's the team's spokesman more than anyone else right now. He's starting to pick up momentum with being disliked. And in this media driven world, perception IS reality, whether it's a right or wrong. Harbaugh needs to let more things go in my opinion knowing the media is after him.

I don't agree. The media does twist and the media overdoes things to the point of exhaustion. They also title articles with quotes out of context like the Peterson interview on the home page.

As long as JH stays true to his players, none of it matters. The media ain't s**t because they just don't print it as if you we're there anymore. They print it with a certain flavor and most of the time, that flavor is negative which is why you hear reactions from people like Carrol saying they don't know the context of what was said.
Look at the titles of the articles posted on the homepage: "Sherman calls JH a Bully", "Sherman fires back at JH."

That is media meddling into comments that weren't what the title made them out to be. Media is a b***h these days and they don't care only about reporting. They care about stirring s**t up.

Good for JH for being difficult with them. His conferences are posted for everyone to view first hand but we read multiple articles about the same interview we can see for ourselves. These "reporting" articles are only different viewpoints of that interview and the viewpoint usually contains the agenda of that writer or company.

I can't agree. When the Giants O.C. Kevin Gilbride made those ridiculousness claims about Justin Smith, Harbaugh could have just ignored it, or responded by saying "Gilbride's entitled to his opinion. But I know Justin and have watched him play. It's simply not true". He could have just left it at that. Short and sweet. Similar to the way he handled getting beat by them. But he didn't. He spewed out all this verbiage and turned it into an official statement which he was no doubt proud to release. He fueled the fire. You gotta be smarter than that. Harbaugh let his ego get in the way. And you know what? It worked for the Giants.

"I thought it was just in a litany of compliments. ... all of a sudden, (Harbaugh) turned it into a negative thing. ... It was great. All of a sudden, now everybody in the country saw it. It worked well." -- Kevin Gilbride

The players followed his example and started to lose focus. Too many leaders were running their mouths or at least making backhanded comments that week -- Justin (Gilbride? Who?), Whitner and Carlos Rogers (Salsa Dancing) all got involved. In fact Donte Whitner said after the loss:

"(We) possibly got too high," Whitner said. "A lot of people talking about redemption and this and that. Really, it's game six of a 16-game schedule. We possibly set ourselves up for that."

To me the team wasn't focused on the X's and O's. Harbaugh wasn't taking the lead with that. They lost focused.

If Harbaugh keeps this up and players start chiming in with their trash talk, it doesn't matter how they feel about Harbaugh, the team will lose. It takes an amazing amount of focus to be an elite team in the NFL.

I'm not hating on Harbaugh. I would want no other coach in the NFL. Seriously. I'm just calling a spade a spade. Harbaugh needs to tone it down.

On the other hand, NYG always start talking it up prior to key matchups, especially in the playoffs. Both of their runs were full of prep week trash talk. It doesn't affect a team. What affects a team (my viewpoint) is when it doesn't commit 100% to the current matchup because the next matchup is only 4 days later, i.e., nearly resting Gore.
Yes, the salsa dancing was a story last year. But Rogers is the one who resurrected it. Don't blame the media. They were only doing their job. They didn't force him to discuss getting back at Cruz. Come on guys, don't act like the Niner organization can do no wrong and it's never their fault.

Also, I agree with Harbaugh about Seattles DB's. But what you can do, and what you should do are two very different things.
Rogers didnt resurrect it, the media did, asking Rogers questions about it after Cruz told the media he would be even more offended if Rogers did it again, but they shook on it it was over, like i said it was a story made out of old news to stir the pot.
A lot being made of little. Harbaugh is a bit of a talker but he usually has a reason. Do I worry about it wearing thin? No really, if the idiot coach of the Jets is still able to command respect of his team then I doubt JH will have a problem.

Players will get more mature (Smith) and will not need the pumping up. As for Crabtree's hands, he does catch the ball in an almost lizard tongue manner. Drops are part of the game and is more a concentration matter than hands. Crabtree has soft hands.
Share 49ersWebzone