LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

The Jim Harbaugh's Motivational 101

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Harbaugh's recent claims that Crabtree has the "best hands" he's ever seen, plus some of the other superlatives he's used for Smith and others, makes me take what he says with a grain of salt. As a player, while such praise is welcome, I'd have to question the sincerity. trtying to instill confidence and demonstrating faith is one thing, but how can one take such praise seriously when it's also bestowed on others you might not feel deserve it? Motivational technique? Homerism? Delusion? Certainly, in Crabtree's case, there have been too many drops to warrant such praise.

What has he said in the past that makes you question his credibility?

He says he thought Alex Smith was a pro-bowl quarterback?
Do you not think so? In the mind of a person who values wins and not turning the ball over - that's true.
The way Alex played in the playoffs I think reaffirms this position.

If Crabtree comes out and has a career year.. I don't think that's gonna be a problem anymore.
Harbaugh's recent claims that Crabtree has the "best hands" he's ever seen, plus some of the other superlatives he's used for Smith and others, makes me take what he says with a grain of salt. As a player, while such praise is welcome, I'd have to question the sincerity. trtying to instill confidence and demonstrating faith is one thing, but how can one take such praise seriously when it's also bestowed on others you might not feel deserve it? Motivational technique? Homerism? Delusion? Certainly, in Crabtree's case, there have been too many drops to warrant such praise.

Crabtree has made a ton of difficult catches, and dropped some easy ones. I think its likely that he's referring to the difficult catches.
Originally posted by Garcia:

Do you not think so? In the mind of a person who values wins and not turning the ball over - that's true.

If Crabtree comes out and has a career year.. I don't think that's gonna be a problem anymore.

This.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Originally posted by Garcia:

This.
He made Carlos Roger a pro bowler why not Crabs?
I am sure it is a bit of both. However in college Crabtree literally had the best hands EVER. Lot of drops on this team but who knows wtf is really going on here.
[ Edited by BayArea on May 26, 2012 at 9:34 AM ]
Originally posted by BayArea:
I am sure it is a bit of both. However in college Crabtree literally had the best hands EVER. Lot of drops on this team but who knows wtf is really going on here.

I hope this is the year to figure it out so he does turn into Moss Jr.
Does anyone feel that Harbaugh needs to tone it down with his comments? After the Seattle game he said it was the "best game I think I've been involved in in a decade". Really? And he didn't have to bring up Seattle's DB's holding. You won, let it go.

I love Harbaugh coaching this team. I hope he stays around for a long time. But when a coaches personality overshadows the teams accomplishments -- it can get ugly real fast.
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Does anyone feel that Harbaugh needs to tone it down with his comments? After the Seattle game he said it was the "best game I think I've been involved in in a decade". Really? And he didn't have to bring up Seattle's DB's holding. You won, let it go.

I love Harbaugh coaching this team. I hope he stays around for a long time. But when a coaches personality overshadows the teams accomplishments -- it can get ugly real fast.

It's only "overshadowing" because the media has become fixated on him. I suspect it owes to a certain degree to their dissatisfaction with the way he handles them--he is impenetrable, continuously obfuscates by deliberately misinterpreting what they ask him, doesn't entertain their questions etc. The group of people he constantly snubs is now the source of the criticism, so not really surprising. IMO not as much of an issue as it is mad eout to be.
Originally posted by ninermedic:
It's only "overshadowing" because the media has become fixated on him. I suspect it owes to a certain degree to their dissatisfaction with the way he handles them--he is impenetrable, continuously obfuscates by deliberately misinterpreting what they ask him, doesn't entertain their questions etc. The group of people he constantly snubs is now the source of the criticism, so not really surprising. IMO not as much of an issue as it is mad eout to be.

So true its unbelievable and it happens everywhere. When a coach or personality doesn't give the media what they want or gives them a hard time then they try to punish the person for it. And when they do give them what they want they build them up. E.g Rex Ryan s**t coach but media portrayal of him is like he's the best thing since slice bread, whereas Harbaugh is a top coach and the media try to make him look stupid.

Happens in the UK in football (soccer) as well and our press our much worse to the fact they've driven coaches and managers out of the job.
[ Edited by smithc28 on Oct 24, 2012 at 8:09 AM ]
Originally posted by smithc28:
Originally posted by ninermedic:

So true its unbelievable and it happens everywhere. When a coach or personality doesn't give the media what they want or gives them a hard time then they try to punish the person for it. And when they do give them what they want they build them up. E.g Rex Ryan s**t coach but media portrayal of him is like he's the best thing since slice bread, whereas Harbaugh is a top coach and the media try to make him look stupid.

Happens in the UK in football (soccer) as well and our press our much worse to the fact they've driven coaches and managers out of the job.

Yep. It's been happening to Belichick for a long time. As far as other teams hating the niners, that means they're doing something right.

I don't disagree with the media twisting his comments and misinterpreting him. However, he's the team's spokesman more than anyone else right now. He's starting to pick up momentum with being disliked. And in this media driven world, perception IS reality, whether it's a right or wrong. Harbaugh needs to let more things go in my opinion knowing the media is after him.
I don't disagree with the media twisting his comments and misinterpreting him. However, he's the team's spokesman more than anyone else right now. He's starting to pick up momentum with being disliked. And in this media driven world, perception IS reality, whether it's a right or wrong. Harbaugh needs to let more things go in my opinion knowing the media is after him.

I don't agree. The media does twist and the media overdoes things to the point of exhaustion. They also title articles with quotes out of context like the Peterson interview on the home page.

As long as JH stays true to his players, none of it matters. The media ain't s**t because they just don't print it as if you we're there anymore. They print it with a certain flavor and most of the time, that flavor is negative which is why you hear reactions from people like Carrol saying they don't know the context of what was said.
Look at the titles of the articles posted on the homepage: "Sherman calls JH a Bully", "Sherman fires back at JH."

That is media meddling into comments that weren't what the title made them out to be. Media is a b***h these days and they don't care only about reporting. They care about stirring s**t up.

Good for JH for being difficult with them. His conferences are posted for everyone to view first hand but we read multiple articles about the same interview we can see for ourselves. These "reporting" articles are only different viewpoints of that interview and the viewpoint usually contains the agenda of that writer or company.
Originally posted by Joecool:

I don't agree. The media does twist and the media overdoes things to the point of exhaustion. They also title articles with quotes out of context like the Peterson interview on the home page.

As long as JH stays true to his players, none of it matters. The media ain't s**t because they just don't print it as if you we're there anymore. They print it with a certain flavor and most of the time, that flavor is negative which is why you hear reactions from people like Carrol saying they don't know the context of what was said.
Look at the titles of the articles posted on the homepage: "Sherman calls JH a Bully", "Sherman fires back at JH."

That is media meddling into comments that weren't what the title made them out to be. Media is a b***h these days and they don't care only about reporting. They care about stirring s**t up.

Good for JH for being difficult with them. His conferences are posted for everyone to view first hand but we read multiple articles about the same interview we can see for ourselves. These "reporting" articles are only different viewpoints of that interview and the viewpoint usually contains the agenda of that writer or company.

I can't agree. When the Giants O.C. Kevin Gilbride made those ridiculousness claims about Justin Smith, Harbaugh could have just ignored it, or responded by saying "Gilbride's entitled to his opinion. But I know Justin and have watched him play. It's simply not true". He could have just left it at that. Short and sweet. Similar to the way he handled getting beat by them. But he didn't. He spewed out all this verbiage and turned it into an official statement which he was no doubt proud to release. He fueled the fire. You gotta be smarter than that. Harbaugh let his ego get in the way. And you know what? It worked for the Giants.

"I thought it was just in a litany of compliments. ... all of a sudden, (Harbaugh) turned it into a negative thing. ... It was great. All of a sudden, now everybody in the country saw it. It worked well." -- Kevin Gilbride

The players followed his example and started to lose focus. Too many leaders were running their mouths or at least making backhanded comments that week -- Justin (Gilbride? Who?), Whitner and Carlos Rogers (Salsa Dancing) all got involved. In fact Donte Whitner said after the loss:

"(We) possibly got too high," Whitner said. "A lot of people talking about redemption and this and that. Really, it's game six of a 16-game schedule. We possibly set ourselves up for that."

To me the team wasn't focused on the X's and O's. Harbaugh wasn't taking the lead with that. They lost focused.

If Harbaugh keeps this up and players start chiming in with their trash talk, it doesn't matter how they feel about Harbaugh, the team will lose. It takes an amazing amount of focus to be an elite team in the NFL.

I'm not hating on Harbaugh. I would want no other coach in the NFL. Seriously. I'm just calling a spade a spade. Harbaugh needs to tone it down.
[ Edited by mustangmele on Oct 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM ]
I can't agree. When the Giants O.C. Kevin Gilbride made those ridiculousness claims about Justin Smith, Harbaugh could have just ignored it, or responded by saying "Gilbride's entitled to his opinion. But I know Justin and have watched him play. It's simply not true". He could have just left it at that. Short and sweet. Similar to the way he handled getting beat by them. But he didn't. He spewed out all this verbiage and turned it into an official statement which he was no doubt proud to release. He fueled the fire. You gotta be smarter than that. Harbaugh let his ego get in the way. And you know what? It worked for the Giants.

"I thought it was just in a litany of compliments. ... all of a sudden, (Harbaugh) turned it into a negative thing. ... It was great. All of a sudden, now everybody in the country saw it. It worked well." -- Kevin Gilbride

The players followed his example and started to lose focus. Too many leaders were running their mouths or at least making backhanded comments that week -- Justin (Gilbride? Who?), Whitner and Carlos Rogers (Salsa Dancing) all got involved. In fact Donte Whitner said after the loss:

"(We) possibly got too high," Whitner said. "A lot of people talking about redemption and this and that. Really, it's game six of a 16-game schedule. We possibly set ourselves up for that."

To me the team wasn't focused on the X's and O's. Harbaugh wasn't taking the lead with that. They lost focused.

If Harbaugh keeps this up and players start chiming in with their trash talk, it doesn't matter how they feel about Harbaugh, the team will lose. It takes an amazing amount of focus to be an elite team in the NFL.

I'm not hating on Harbaugh. I would want no other coach in the NFL. Seriously. I'm just calling a spade a spade. Harbaugh needs to tone it down.
The salsa thing with Rogers happened last year and the media was digging into old news to try to formulate a new story. The difference between Harbaughs comments about sea and gilbrides comments was gilbrides was directed at officiating and trying to get them to focus on Justin, Harbaughs comments were directed to the nfl wanting to know whether physical play of the level sea was using with there secondary was acceptable, and with as physical play as our DBS and safety's give I would want to know also so I can alter my coverage schemes. The media just b******tted fans into thinking he was crying about the officiating. IMO he wanted clarity on whether physical play of that extreme was within the rules.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Oct 25, 2012 at 9:37 AM ]
Yea at times he does talk too much. Like bringing up the Peyton Manning talk when the issue was dead. I mean you can't call out Gilbride for saying Smith holds too much then complain about Seattle's db's holding too much. Maybe our wr's need to fight harder. And I don't like the players always talking about the other team quit when they get a win. I didn't hear the Giants, or Vikings players making those statements about the Niners when they were steamrolling our defense.
[ Edited by lamontb on Oct 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone