There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Fleming out for 2012 , Do we look for another OLB for depth?

I know Fleming was being counted on to provide some punch to our pass rush from the OLB position ..do you guys think we will go after another OLB for depth purposes? ..or do we stick with Cam Johnson and Haralson to fight for playing time behind Aldon Smith?
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on May 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM ]
Last year they ran with 3 OLB'ers so I don't see why they wouldn't run with 4 this year. This team was really lucky last year in terms of injuries.
How's Cam looking? We might wait until the end of preseason cuts until we pick someone up if we need depth.
It means that Haralson will not get cut and Cam Johnson will make the team.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
It means that Haralson will not get cut and Cam Johnson will make the team.

Most likely. And Cam has a big chip on his shoulder too. Haralson's best and only really good season came when he was a backup, coming in to provide a pass rush off the bench. Now he's more of an edge-sealer and run stopper. Therefore, I could see him stay and back up Brooks at the SAM spot whereas, Cam could spell Aldon (quite a bit too) as the WILL pass rusher. They will probably look at or bring in others for a look too but 4 should be fine with others such as Grant/Gooden learning the OLB position as well.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 16, 2012 at 10:14 AM ]
Aldon
Harlson
Johnson
Brooks
Yah we should sign another dude.
Haralson was never going to get cut. People that say he has no value don't know ANYTHING about the 3-4. He's a quality veteran, plays the run great, forces fumbles....the only part of his game is that he's not getting the huge sack numbers but he wasn't in on the passing downs.

We went with 3 OLB backers last year and we are going to cut him for salary? NOT SMART.

These are the same posters that said Ahmad Brooks isn't a good 3-4 backer.

It takes while to learn the 3-4, it's not an easy position to play. You have to set the edge, play upright, play the run and the pass, read the d and drop into coverage.

I love Aldon Smith but he would have got EXPOSED if we didn't have Parys Haralson.

The niners will probably add depth to the team but a major signing probably not.

Hopefully Cam Johnson can step up his game, he has 3-4 experience already and that's a huge plus.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Haralson was never going to get cut. People that say he has no value don't know ANYTHING about the 3-4. He's a quality veteran, plays the run great, forces fumbles....the only part of his game is that he's not getting the huge sack numbers but he wasn't in on the passing downs.

We went with 3 OLB backers last year and we are going to cut him for salary? NOT SMART.

These are the same posters that said Ahmad Brooks isn't a good 3-4 backer.

It takes while to learn the 3-4, it's not an easy position to play. You have to set the edge, play upright, play the run and the pass, read the d and drop into coverage.

I love Aldon Smith but he would have got EXPOSED if we didn't have Parys Haralson.

The niners will probably add depth to the team but a major signing probably not.

Hopefully Cam Johnson can step up his game, he has 3-4 experience already and that's a huge plus.

Spot on! And with his experience against the run and a RENEWED focus on pass rushing and spelling Aldon, we could see a season again from him (sacks/pressures/forced fumbles off the bench) that lead to his original LT contract.
I would only cut Haralson if we had another proven veteran.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Haralson was never going to get cut. People that say he has no value don't know ANYTHING about the 3-4. He's a quality veteran, plays the run great, forces fumbles....the only part of his game is that he's not getting the huge sack numbers but he wasn't in on the passing downs.

We went with 3 OLB backers last year and we are going to cut him for salary? NOT SMART.

These are the same posters that said Ahmad Brooks isn't a good 3-4 backer.

It takes while to learn the 3-4, it's not an easy position to play. You have to set the edge, play upright, play the run and the pass, read the d and drop into coverage.

I love Aldon Smith but he would have got EXPOSED if we didn't have Parys Haralson.

The niners will probably add depth to the team but a major signing probably not.

Hopefully Cam Johnson can step up his game, he has 3-4 experience already and that's a huge plus.

Honestly, he only has value at this point because of the injury to Flemming. Haralson has been a stalwart against the run and 'good' at setting the edge, but he lacks elite sideline to sideline speed to be great at setting the edge (Manny Lawson was much better at this than Haralson). He's a mediocre pass rusher, at best.

At this point, he is a 'high-motor', expensive back-up who is a leader. Most of the time, leaders are indispensable; however, we have plenty of leaders on our defense. And before Flemming's injury, I was all for cutting him to keep our D-line talent. But now we are going to be stretched thin at OLB, requiring us to keep Haralson.

But your point that anyone who thinks he as no value doesn't understand a 3-4 is off, IMO. Our 3-4 OLBs are pass rushers, #1. We happen to have the two best ILB in the game patrolling the running lanes and who can flow sideline to sideline. Our OLBs must get to the QB. Haralson has proven he is under-capable of this, especially with the increased mileage on his body.
no
They will get to test Cam Johnson now without having to take a chance and try getting him on the practice squad. Add Fleming to the list of rookies for next years camp.
Yes. Why would you not want to bring a couple more in for a look-over?
Originally posted by English:
Yes. Why would you not want to bring a couple more in for a look-over?

Yeah, they'll be fringe guys, but who knows if they make the team. I'm sure they are looking at FA's.