There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Karma's Initial 2012 Roster Prediction

Originally posted by stonecold590:
Barring any injuries I think you are spot on. I do really like Jones as a special teamer and if he is good enough to beat out one of the players above him then I would be happy. I totally trust our staff to put the best 53 on the roster.

Yeah, that is really the tough thing to project. Jones can't beat out any of the other safeties based on their production on defense. Same with Cartwright and the other running backs. However, we all know that Seely has plenty of pull and wants his units stacked, which is a great strategy. The "problem" is we have so much talent at each position that we would lose depth, potential, and possibly future starters to keep those guys on. Will it be worth it?
Originally posted by DVDA:
No way the team keeps only nine db's. Cam Johnson to the ps and put Jones on the roster.

There is no need for four running backs. Gore or Jacobs have to go which is obvious who stays. Replace Jacobs with a player who will actually contribute on special teams.

We saw last year, with keeping only three OLBs, that Baalke and Harbaugh are willing to sacrifice perceived "thin" positions to get the best 53. Colin Jones isn't "really" a safety because he never plays in the field.

I can see your point about Jacobs, but that would leave the team with Gore and then two undersized backs. It could definitely work, but I think Harbaugh loves the idea of Jacobs' power. Gore, Jacobs, Hunter, and James are locks in my opinion. You could tell that Harbaugh wanted to use Dixon more but he couldn't get the job done. He needs to have a sledgehammer back there.
Good post very well thought out. I could see the roster of falling that way with my only preference being that KW does not make the team.
DIsagree with not keeping Cartwright and Jones. I don't think the team carries 6 WRs, when the 6th won't ever see the field, we hardly carried all 5 active last year, so 6 isn't a good idea.

Also, Cartwright and Jones are among the best 53 players IMO, so you keep the best 53, not keeping players who are projects, when you keep players who will contribute to the team.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
DIsagree with not keeping Cartwright and Jones. I don't think the team carries 6 WRs, when the 6th won't ever see the field, we hardly carried all 5 active last year, so 6 isn't a good idea.

Also, Cartwright and Jones are among the best 53 players IMO, so you keep the best 53, not keeping players who are projects, when you keep players who will contribute to the team.

I respect that opinion. Jones and Cartwright are two of the best Special Teamers in the league, but does that make them part of the best 53? Is the fall off to the next two Special Teamers bigger than the drop off we would see if Jones had to play Safety? I'm not saying either way, but it is an interesting dilemma.

The number 6 was the tough part for me. It came down to either 6 WRs or 6 RBs. Consider that the team kept 6 Safeties last when when that position became an issue with Goldson's late signing and the injuries during camp. One of those positions gets 6 players. In fact, I feel like Williams is a better option to keep than Ginn if we had to choose. That is based only on the idea that LaMichael james or Perrish Cox could take over the return duties. Williams is actually turning into a good receiver.

It will be 6 RBs is Cartwright proves himself too valuable on ST. It's going to be interesting!
I can see Brock getting cut. He was atrocious in coverage last year and there are guys with significantly higher upside that they could keep instead. This would leave room for Jones as a ST ace and keep the DB number at 9.

Even in their Dime/Prevent package, they will still run out Smith/McDonald/Smith/Brooks/Bowman/Willis so you're just looking for the 5 best back there, and it will be a defence relying on pressure rather than coverage to keep the passing game down - so finding 5 out of Rogers/Brown/Culliver/Cox/Goldson/Whitner/Robinson/Spillman shouldn't be an issue.

Haralson may have to renegotiate or get cut - too much $ for a backup with the number of other young guys behind him. Only camp will tell if JH thinks they are ready.

There will also be camp injuries and some surprises. Plus as other teams make cuts some interesting players can come available.
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I respect that opinion. Jones and Cartwright are two of the best Special Teamers in the league, but does that make them part of the best 53? Is the fall off to the next two Special Teamers bigger than the drop off we would see if Jones had to play Safety? I'm not saying either way, but it is an interesting dilemma.

The number 6 was the tough part for me. It came down to either 6 WRs or 6 RBs. Consider that the team kept 6 Safeties last when when that position became an issue with Goldson's late signing and the injuries during camp. One of those positions gets 6 players. In fact, I feel like Williams is a better option to keep than Ginn if we had to choose. That is based only on the idea that LaMichael james or Perrish Cox could take over the return duties. Williams is actually turning into a good receiver.

It will be 6 RBs is Cartwright proves himself too valuable on ST. It's going to be interesting!

Excellent post, Karma. Good piece of analysis. I can't see too much to disagree with. With all the talent at RB Cartwright is likely gone. My one change might be to drop Kyle Williams and add Colin Jones. Williams is now, at best, a decoy in the event of multiple injuries to the WR's. Further, his primary role of back-up returner is now in serious jeopardy before you even consider his crunch time performance (lack thereof) last year. Jones at least helps the special teams which the 49ers obviously view as vitally important to their football team as a whole.
I like it, but I doubt they allow James to cover kicks.
I don't think Slowey makes the final 53, even though I like him.
The offense looks spot on. Like other posters mentioned, I think there is a spot for Colin Jones on the roster. Probably at the expense of Cam Johnson, who hopefully can be stashed on the practice squad.

I was also thinking Darius Fleming is versatile enough to play ILB and has special teams value. Perhaps he pushes Gooden for a spot and Cam Johnson is the 4th OLB.
[ Edited by SofaKing on May 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yeah I think a lot of this will come down to how guys perform on special teams. I think Cartwright stays over Williams being the 6th wr. I'm not sure if Gooden's spot is safe as well. Overall this is pretty good.

Cartwright is not staying over Williams for how much promise he showed last season even though i HATE him for the 2 fumbles. We have 5 RB's we wouldnt need a 6th.
Pretty much agree with everything. The only difference would be to put Slowey on the PS and keep Colin Jones.
Also Jones was only semi switched to WR he was still listed as a safety all season.
Originally posted by cools:
Agree with your 53

though I think they find a way to keep Cartwright and/or C.Jones

I also like Jerod-Eddie, think he could possibly outplay someone like Dobbs or Tuku for a spot

I agree, Both Cartwright and Jones are key special teams guys. I'd be surprised if we cut as many veterans from that unit as the op suggests.
I like Kyle Williams, I think he has some good upside. Ginn is strictly returns. If we can replace gin or get rid of the 6th WR it would be better. But then again it's not for certain that Moss will pan out. Lots of questions!
GOOD LIST THANKS ... GREETINGS PRIM LIMA - PERU

Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home