There are 415 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFC WEST: Offensive Comparisons

Originally posted by Psinex:
The stats say that we were a better rushing team than Seattle las year. Again, I don't see any proof that Seattle has a better rushing game than us, but they are close. If Lynch goes down it's a huge dropout to the next guy.

over the last 8 games Lynch had a monster run which i believe will continue into this next season. I think they were a better rushing team than advertised. even without willis to put up 80 yards in a half on our defense is somthing to be noted. Theyve got some players on their offensive line and guys coming back which is why i feel they will be formidable. Its true if Lynch got hurt theyd be in deep sht with the whole offense but still its fair to acknowledge they are formidable.

That being said i dont doubt we can hold Lynch under 100 and TD less. Not because they suck but because our boys will be hella fired up for this game
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Yes but there is a new QB in Seattle, new coaching staff in St. Louis...over rated QB in Arizona. So the only "set" team is Arizona and they are over rated in my opinion.

Division games are usually tough but if the 9ers had needed to win those games in order to make the playoffs I have no doubt they would have done so (more)handily. With a better offense next year and the same defense I still think the games will be tough...just the nature of the game. Seattle worries me the most but their coach may wear thin with the vets after a couple of years.

Comparing what SF did under Harbaugh last year with what another team might do seems an unlikely result. SF surprised the heck out of the NFL last year and no one gave them a shot. A phenomenal effort and of course another team might be able to do it but the odds are astronomically against.
Tavaris Jackson is still the QB out there. Flynn has to beat him out. If he does he still has an impressive resume. Short but impressive. About QB defieciency well we know personally what a great defense solid special teams and running offense can do in this league. If its strength vs strength our run D is way too strong but i still see Seattle making a push for a playoff spot.

Az played brilliant down the stretch. with a backup qb i think they went 7-1 last 8 games. whatever way you look at it thats hella impressive. they beat some good teams including us to get that. They were i feel lucky to win the game against us but still theyre nothing to look past. With two big recievers their offense should be better.....but i suspect well be blowing their offensive line up time and time again . Im a big believer in the trenches so i dont think Az will be able to compete with us.

Stl new every thing so they should make some noise but theyre a few years away i feel.

That being said i still feel Seattle is best equipped to give us a run for our money. Id look for our games to be very tough but in this division i can see us going 5-1 again.
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Tavaris Jackson is still the QB out there. Flynn has to beat him out. If he does he still has an impressive resume. Short but impressive. About QB defieciency well we know personally what a great defense solid special teams and running offense can do in this league. If its strength vs strength our run D is way too strong but i still see Seattle making a push for a playoff spot.

Az played brilliant down the stretch. with a backup qb i think they went 7-1 last 8 games. whatever way you look at it thats hella impressive. they beat some good teams including us to get that. They were i feel lucky to win the game against us but still theyre nothing to look past. With two big recievers their offense should be better.....but i suspect well be blowing their offensive line up time and time again . Im a big believer in the trenches so i dont think Az will be able to compete with us.

Stl new every thing so they should make some noise but theyre a few years away i feel.

That being said i still feel Seattle is best equipped to give us a run for our money. Id look for our games to be very tough but in this division i can see us going 5-1 again.

Reading this I began thinking of odds in a single game versus odds for a season. A very good team, SF, may play poorly for a game or two but will likely play well most games. So a let down can be expected but I wonder what the odds are for the team to lose more games than they did last year? Baltimore lost, GB lost, SF lost...but you could tell they were all well coached teams that did not beat themselves. Of course, NYG had some injuries and lost more games, but you still knew they would be difficult in the playoffs.

The thought I have here is that SF is a much more fundamentally sound team than its West rivals so while they may lose a game against them they will not likely be strongly challenged for the division. Not sure I have faith in Seattle's coach (33-31 NFL record reg season, 1-2 post season).
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 15, 2012 at 10:15 PM ]
Yes but there is a new QB in Seattle, new coaching staff in St. Louis...over rated QB in Arizona. So the only "set" team is Arizona and they are over rated in my opinion.

Division games are usually tough but if the 9ers had needed to win those games in order to make the playoffs I have no doubt they would have done so (more)handily. With a better offense next year and the same defense I still think the games will be tough...just the nature of the game. Seattle worries me the most but their coach may wear thin with the vets after a couple of years.

Comparing what SF did under Harbaugh last year with what another team might do seems an unlikely result. SF surprised the heck out of the NFL last year and no one gave them a shot. A phenomenal effort and of course another team might be able to do it but the odds are astronomically against.

I think Seattle needs to stop losing OL for the season or for extended parts of the year before they will be playoff threat again.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I think Seattle needs to stop losing OL for the season or for extended parts of the year before they will be playoff threat again.

they were in the hunt for a playoff spot right until the game they had with us on christmas. Thats with their top left tackle out the entire year, shuffling of the line etc. I wouldnt put so much hope on injuries hitting teams to make them weaker. Either way theyre a decently coached team and a 9-7 is somthin they can pull off.

Reading this I began thinking of odds in a single game versus odds for a season. A very good team, SF, may play poorly for a game or two but will likely play well most games. So a let down can be expected but I wonder what the odds are for the team to lose more games than they did last year? Baltimore lost, GB lost, SF lost...but you could tell they were all well coached teams that did not beat themselves. Of course, NYG had some injuries and lost more games, but you still knew they would be difficult in the playoffs.

The thought I have here is that SF is a much more fundamentally sound team than its West rivals so while they may lose a game against them they will not likely be strongly challenged for the division. Not sure I have faith in Seattle's coach (33-31 NFL record reg season, 1-2 post season).

That is very true. when you watched say a game like us vs tampa. You could see tehe discipline, the coaching really shine through in contrast with these immature kids playing. I would put Detroit in this category as well. Theyre just not as well coached as say the game with us and the ravens, or the Giants twice. more playoff feel games.

That said im looking at how a team progressed during the year. Even though we were the exception to the rule most teams had the lockout hindering them. Az Seattle both came on real strong last 8 games. Seattle also finished top five defense so they do got ballers on their team. On the topic of coaching, while i believe everyone else comes in a rung lower than us i think they might do well against a lot of teams looking past them this season. still i expect them to max out at 9 wins at most
Niners have the best team by far in the NFC West. I really think they will win the division around Week 10. I just don't see how the offense doesn't improve on 3rd downs, red zone % and big plays of 50 yds plus. That plus 10 of 11 starters from 2011 will start in 2012 (Aldon Smith will start over Haralson).

Plus we have the best player in the NFL in Andy Lee
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Every team in the NFC West has its own question marks.

- Alex Smith and the 49ers are very good about playing positional football, but they haven't proven to consistently score in the redzones and convert third downs. I'd say we're the most disciplined offense, but we have to prove we can be explosive (I think we will).

- The Cardinals have the most firepower with Larry Fitzgerald and Malcolm Floyd, and a decent QB in Kolb. However, that offensive line, which is what makes any offense go, limits them.

- The Seahawks, IMO, have the best running game and are super tough. However, I think their passing offense is just as mediocre as ours, and possibly even worse. Matt Flynn fits the mold, but this is all based on one good game against Detroit last season.

- The Rams, have a great RB in Steven Jackson, but he's getting old. They don't have any proven receivers. I think Sam Bradford is the most talented QB in the NFC West, but I don't think he quite has the weapons he needs to succeed.

In a sense, I'd say the Cardinals are very much boom or bust. The Seahawks and 49ers are in a similar boat, but I think we're a little better. Coupled with the fact that our defense and special teams give us short fields, the 49ers offense has that advantage. The Rams have a lot of holes.

I'd say Cardinals, 49ers, Seahawks, and then Rams in that order. I think the 49ers made the most significant improvements this offseason though, and very likely could be the best in the division.

How the hell do you figure having the Cardinals as the best offense in the division?

s**t O-line
s**t QB
No running game
No TE's
1 proven wideout
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Every team in the NFC West has its own question marks.

- Alex Smith and the 49ers are very good about playing positional football, but they haven't proven to consistently score in the redzones and convert third downs. I'd say we're the most disciplined offense, but we have to prove we can be explosive (I think we will).

- The Cardinals have the most firepower with Larry Fitzgerald and Malcolm Floyd, and a decent QB in Kolb. However, that offensive line, which is what makes any offense go, limits them.

- The Seahawks, IMO, have the best running game and are super tough. However, I think their passing offense is just as mediocre as ours, and possibly even worse. Matt Flynn fits the mold, but this is all based on one good game against Detroit last season.

- The Rams, have a great RB in Steven Jackson, but he's getting old. They don't have any proven receivers. I think Sam Bradford is the most talented QB in the NFC West, but I don't think he quite has the weapons he needs to succeed.

In a sense, I'd say the Cardinals are very much boom or bust. The Seahawks and 49ers are in a similar boat, but I think we're a little better. Coupled with the fact that our defense and special teams give us short fields, the 49ers offense has that advantage. The Rams have a lot of holes.

I'd say Cardinals, 49ers, Seahawks, and then Rams in that order. I think the 49ers made the most significant improvements this offseason though, and very likely could be the best in the division.

How the hell do you figure having the Cardinals as the best offense in the division?

s**t O-line
s**t QB
No running game
No TE's
1 proven wideout

While I don't think the Cardinals have a great offense, give them a little more credit. They have the oft-injured Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams is returning from a rookie season-ending injury. If they could stay healthy, they would be quite formidable. However, the 49ers' defense can handle formidable teams as well as ones that are always injured. Their offensive line could be their undoing this year. They have some huge question marks on their line, as do the Seahawks.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

s**t O-line
s**t QB
No running game
No TE's
1 proven wideout

Very true the cards have 1 great wr that makes the offense look good sometimes, aside from fitz everyone else is average to above average at best