LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

NFC WEST: Offensive Comparisons

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Dunno as a run offense Seattle is pretty damn tough. Big line, badass rb and a bruising fb to boot. out of all the division the team that worries me the most is seattle because theyre the only ones that can actually run in any fashion on us. if they can force us to drop a safety in the box with Baldwin, Rice they might be able to move the ball down the field in a hurry.

rams and cards well shut their run game down quick , flood the back with DBs and just pick off the passes as they come along.

in terms of balance our offense is tops in the division.

Was with you until you mentioned "buising fb" and don't see that, but their young line may be very good in a year or two--if they can stay healthy. Can't see any of these teams really stepping up this year because the 9ers have retained their D and added to their O, while the other teams are trying to find identity...new QB, new coaches, etc.

Mike Rob? Hes not as badass as lorenzo neal or even moran norris in his prime, but the guy went up against Takeo and Pat for years and hes always played very violent. Add to the fact that hes versatile as well hes someone of a big threat on that team. Makes me wonder. if we had him on our team we never woulda taken Bruce Miller but the extra things Roman coulda done with him is fun to think about.

the identity thing is overrated, circa Harbaugh 2011. I wouldnt underestimate Seattle's run game. Okung when healthy is a big plus for them on that line.
Would really like to compare the West teams to last year, but I don't watched them enough to comment on specifics. It seems that they should be better next year. The one team that I think will be better next year is the Cards. They were on a up swing, improving on defense at the end of the year. With a little more work on the offensive line and consistent play of their qb, they can be very good. The Rams and the Seahawk has too many questions in with their team to know whether they are heading up or down, especially at qb. I'm not buying Flynn as the answer to the Seahawks' need at qb. But the rest of that team seems to be good overall. The Rams need a lot of work on defense. And Bradford is a mystery right now on how he would play after injury.
Mike Rob? Hes not as badass as lorenzo neal or even moran norris in his prime, but the guy went up against Takeo and Pat for years and hes always played very violent. Add to the fact that hes versatile as well hes someone of a big threat on that team. Makes me wonder. if we had him on our team we never woulda taken Bruce Miller but the extra things Roman coulda done with him is fun to think about.

the identity thing is overrated, circa Harbaugh 2011. I wouldnt underestimate Seattle's run game. Okung when healthy is a big plus for them on that line.

The versatility of MRob is definately his strong suit and I wish he was still here--agree totally that they would be using him a lot. The identity issue is only an issue when indicating a need to learn and practice a scheme. The 9ers went to a no turnover offense last year because the team needed a year to learn how to play the Harbaugh way and for the coaches to figure out the players best attributes...it was a very controlled offense. Now they may be able to really open up the playbook as they fixed the areas that needed fixing--WR and OL.

The players were mostly in place for Harbaugh last year, with a very good D and he hired some of the best coaches in the game for D and ST. That isn't the case in St. Louis, Arizona or Seattle where they have many questions and inferior players in key spots--QB & MLB.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
When the NFL changes the rules so our offense lines up against their offense, I'll find these comparisons relavent. As it stands, our D trumphs all offense in our division. Sure Lynch ran for a 100 yards and a TD against us last year, but I dont even think Willis was playing or if he was he just came back from injury.

With that said, we have some serious defenses in our division. Seattle and Arizonas D is nothing to laugh at and they are probably going to get even better. The good news is, they are built to stop Frank Gore and a pure power run O. This is where a RB like LMJ and our fast WRs could change the game in our division.

I still think we are the best team, but I'm not sold it will be a cake walk.

LOL! You are such a trouble maker! Would be an interesting game--offense against offense. I'd pay to see that...two balls?

Cake walk? Never! Every team is an injury away from being mediocre and players being human they may be distracted by things like a relative being accused of murder. Just never know what may sink a team...SF Giants are a good example, if in the wrong sport!
Originally posted by AlmighT49er:
will be interesting how ryan williams is coming back from this severe injury, with wells they could have a nice runnig game opening up more for fitz and floyd. however, their Oline is still a huge question although addig some nice players in round 3 and 4 in the draft.

Outside of OL and QB play, the Cardinals would be the next closest to being the top offense in the division. Kolb couldn't stay healthy (OL to blame in large part for that) and then couldn't get into a groove or find any consistency when he was healthy last year.

We'll see if the additions of Snyder and the highly-touted rookie OT Massie improve that line enough for them to have success. Receivers can't get the ball if the QB is planted before they can even get into their routes. 49ers fans are well aware of that fact... But yes, in terms of weapons, you could argue it's a toss-up. But we have the infinitely better TEs, and if Moss plays like his old self and Crabtree continues his breakout, it won't be close as far as who has the top WEAPONS in the NFC West.
I am not sure we have the best QB in the division. I am a AS believer for all his years, but Bradford I think is better. We will see after this year. The Rams are going to surprise a lot of people this year. Fisher is going to have that team up and playing some ball. Seattle, if Flynn is the real deal they could be trouble. The Cards if Kobb becomes what so many Niner fans wanted then he also elevates the Cards. This division is no longer a weak division. I suspect the defenses on all these teams are going to be the telling point.

The versatility of MRob is definately his strong suit and I wish he was still here--agree totally that they would be using him a lot. The identity issue is only an issue when indicating a need to learn and practice a scheme. The 9ers went to a no turnover offense last year because the team needed a year to learn how to play the Harbaugh way and for the coaches to figure out the players best attributes...it was a very controlled offense. Now they may be able to really open up the playbook as they fixed the areas that needed fixing--WR and OL.

The players were mostly in place for Harbaugh last year, with a very good D and he hired some of the best coaches in the game for D and ST. That isn't the case in St. Louis, Arizona or Seattle where they have many questions and inferior players in key spots--QB & MLB.

Az, Seattle have complete staffs and systems in place for at least two years running, the Rams are the only ones who are starting out new. Were bringing back most of our players but it was against these same players in the second half of the season that seattle gave us a run for our money and the cards beat us. hell even the Rams came close t giving us a scare. Overall all the teams will improve quite significantly.I still think were a cut above the rest but i dont believe itll be handed to us on a platter.
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
I am not sure we have the best QB in the division. I am a AS believer for all his years, but Bradford I think is better. We will see after this year. The Rams are going to surprise a lot of people this year. Fisher is going to have that team up and playing some ball. Seattle, if Flynn is the real deal they could be trouble. The Cards if Kobb becomes what so many Niner fans wanted then he also elevates the Cards. This division is no longer a weak division. I suspect the defenses on all these teams are going to be the telling point.

Smith has almost always impressed me when under pressure. That's where I think the greatest under estimation has been.

Az, Seattle have complete staffs and systems in place for at least two years running, the Rams are the only ones who are starting out new. Were bringing back most of our players but it was against these same players in the second half of the season that seattle gave us a run for our money and the cards beat us. hell even the Rams came close t giving us a scare. Overall all the teams will improve quite significantly.I still think were a cut above the rest but i dont believe itll be handed to us on a platter.

Have to remember though that Willis wasn't playing in these games.

Yes but there is a new QB in Seattle, new coaching staff in St. Louis...over rated QB in Arizona. So the only "set" team is Arizona and they are over rated in my opinion.

Division games are usually tough but if the 9ers had needed to win those games in order to make the playoffs I have no doubt they would have done so (more)handily. With a better offense next year and the same defense I still think the games will be tough...just the nature of the game. Seattle worries me the most but their coach may wear thin with the vets after a couple of years.

Comparing what SF did under Harbaugh last year with what another team might do seems an unlikely result. SF surprised the heck out of the NFL last year and no one gave them a shot. A phenomenal effort and of course another team might be able to do it but the odds are astronomically against.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Have to remember though that Willis wasn't playing in these games.

The stats say that we were a better rushing team than Seattle las year. Again, I don't see any proof that Seattle has a better rushing game than us, but they are close. If Lynch goes down it's a huge dropout to the next guy.
... And just as I was saying......

James Carpenter could miss Seahawks' 2012 season
Seattle Seahawks kinda scares me, with the drafting of that passrusher from west virginia and that running back turbin who I think will give us problems. That quaterback who they got from wisconsin. These moves that carroll has made has me scared and wondering whats really going on. But harbaugh coutered and brought in speed like moss, manningham, jenkins, james these moves to go along with gore vd mike crabtree these moves have countered and I think harbaugh coaching will eventually give us the edge! But it might come down to alex smith vs jackson, flynn, wisconsin rookie!
Seattle has already lost one lineman and it's not even TC. Any more, and you have to wonder how well they're going to be able to run, as well as pass protect, with back-ups all year.
Jim Harbaugh is to Alex Smith as Bill Walsh was to Steve Young, as Mike Holmgren was to Brett Favre. Alex is a top ten qb and he will prove it this season. None of these other teams have sure fire qb's. Bradford is will get there but he has about 2 more seasons until he has all the pieces he needs to be a true threat.
[ Edited by 24plus25er on May 15, 2012 at 12:39 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone