LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

If our O is explosive, will our D drop off?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If our O is explosive, will our D drop off?

I agree with several on here. If we become more explosive on O then our O will also be more volitile; meaning more turnovers and more TD's. I think the D is going to be hard pressed to perform as well as they did last season. We'll still have a top 10 D but I see it slipping out of the top 5...
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Yes. I expect more turnovers from the O this year and more time on the field for our D as a result. I think that we'll still have a top 5 D, but there will be some drop off.

I agree. With all this speed we are going to be taking more shots downfield which means riskier throws by Smith. I'm not saying he can't make them but to say he will not turn the ball over more because of the throws downfield is crazy. Its gonna be tough to replicate a 13-3 record with a target on our backs now. 11-5 sounds realistic and should be good enough to win the West again. D will probably be in top 8.

It doesn't have to be risky as much. With a combo of running plays, play-action, those safety may pay too much attention up front. You hit them deep with Moss or VD when they start to look/sneak up to the LOS. That's a safer throw then trying to beat those safety straight up with speed and arm strength.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 11, 2012 at 9:13 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Yes. I expect more turnovers from the O this year and more time on the field for our D as a result. I think that we'll still have a top 5 D, but there will be some drop off.

You know, if this were any other team, I would say it is only natural a Defense relaxes when their offense scores more points...

...but man, Jim Harbaugh is the head coach! That dude doesn't relax and I want to believe that he instills that mentality in his players. They want to start the game with the foot on the throat only to want to smash it through the core.

I don't disagree with your point at all. I expect the same level of intensity from the D next year as last. I just think that a quick-strike offense or a "take more chances" offense (both of which we appear to be intent on moving closer toward) lead to more t.o.s and more D time on the field.
Alex Smith!!!! FTW!
NINERS!
How many football games have you watched where one team goes up by two TDs in the first half and completly dominates, only to take their foot off the gas in the second and let the opposing team back in? It happens all the time. I'm sure the reason is a combination of factors. No doubt the D feels less pressure to play tight every play and the opposing teams O probably takes risks/makes throws that they normally wouldn't. I just think its human nature to do so.
Yeah the D will take a step back in stats. But I agree with some, it is going to be big plays they give up as they take more chances with more 1v1 coverage, but in turn they will make bigger plays.
I don't think the defense will drop off. Its possible they could improve in the 2nd full season of Coach Fangio's system.
Maybe if we were to score quickly
i think maybe some ppl think if we have an explosive offense that would score points , it would make teams have to score more points to catch up, thus making the defense or worse or say more relaxed knowing our offense can score points.

You know, if this were any other team, I would say it is only natural a Defense relaxes when their offense scores more points...

...but man, Jim Harbaugh is the head coach! That dude doesn't relax and I want to believe that he instills that mentality in his players. They want to start the game with the foot on the throat only to want to smash it through the core.

I don't disagree with your point at all. I expect the same level of intensity from the D next year as last. I just think that a quick-strike offense or a "take more chances" offense (both of which we appear to be intent on moving closer toward) lead to more t.o.s and more D time on the field.

Maybe we don't always show a quick stroke offense. It was obvious last year that Harbaugh and Roman pick and chose their spots to call the home run hitting plays and it was ALWAYS when we initially started with good field position. A well-designed play got called and next thing we know, we are inside or around the 20. I think the focus in 2012 won't be much different than 2011. We allow our defense and ST's to play field position, but this time, we finish the job when inside the opponent 30 yard line rather than settling for FG's. THAT is where we will primarily be more aggressive.

We may also get bigger chunks in the running game when we don't have great field position. I am ready to see a deadly offense, but a controlled one rather than a Martz, I don't care if my defense was out there for a 15 play drive and I'm going to try and use my best play first so I can score in 1 minute.

What's even more exciting is that Alex is the perfect QB for this type of philosophy.
[ Edited by Joecool on May 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM ]

Maybe we don't always show a quick stroke offense. It was obvious last year that Harbaugh and Roman pick and chose their spots to call the home run hitting plays and it was ALWAYS when we initially started with good field position. A well-designed play got called and next thing we know, we are inside or around the 20. I think the focus in 2012 won't be much different than 2011. We allow our defense and ST's to play field position, but this time, we finish the job when inside the opponent 30 yard line rather than settling for FG's. THAT is where we will primarily be more aggressive.

We may also get bigger chunks in the running game when we don't have great field position. I am ready to see a deadly offense, but a controlled one rather than a Martz, I don't care if my defense was out there for a 15 play drive and I'm going to try and use my best play first so I can score in 1 minute.

What's even more exciting is that Alex is the perfect QB for this type of philosophy.

...agreed
The Defense is going to be even BETTER than last year.

Last year Bowman, Tarrell Brown, Ray Mac and Aldon were only in their first year starting, and are going to play with alot more understanding. Plus the defense was not utilized to its full potential due to the lockout as Fangio has stated. It's going to be scary good.
last year was the 1st year in the defense. i see it improving but the #'s might not be the same.
have to have alot of luck and lucky bounces to get that many turnovers

HELL YEAH!!! 'We ask no quarter, we give no quarter."
I think that our defense can't help but to have some drop off because IIRC, didn't they set some records last year? We went twenty-some games without allowing a 100 yard rusher and tied (or got very close) the record for best turnover differential. That kind of success is hard to replicate, but I don't see them finishing any worst than top five. We got all of our starters back, and another year in the system. We're simply too talented.

...and it feels great to be able to say that.
Share 49ersWebzone