There are 171 users in the forums

If our O is explosive, will our D drop off?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If our O is explosive, will our D drop off?

I can't remember the last time I watched an NFL team with a dominant defense and explosive offense. My fear is that if our offense actually begins to score on a consistent basis, our D may not play with the same level of intensity. We saw this last year with our offense. For the most part our O was ok with three and outs as long as our D kept the other team from scoring. But, once we got behind, the O kicked it up a notch. As a fan, I always questioned why we couldn't produce like that from the get go? My guess is thats just human nature whether you're a professional or pedestrian. My hope is that hungry vets like Justin Smith and Patrick Willis wont let that happen, but you never know. The other X factor is the opposing teams and how they respond if they feel they need to keep up in points. I'm sure it could be good or bad, depending on how our D responds. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Am I the only one that thinks like this?
The times that a defense falters because the offense is on the rise is when a team moves away from its defensive philosophy either from a coaching standpoint or a talent standpoint. Since the coaching staff is the same and the defense, if anything, has been bolstered, I don't see that happening.

If anything, the offense converting a few more third downs means the opposing offense will be kept off the field more, which translates to fewer plays and less yardage for the opposing team and a fresher, more rested defense.
^ right.

Yeah, I don't see the D dropping off either. They may start taking more aggressive chances once they feel our O can compensate with adding more points. That in turn COULD make our defense look worse on the stat-sheet... or it could make us the best team in the league for QB sacks/pressures.
Are people really assuming we're going to have an explosive offense? Smith had a good season, but he's never shown that he can run a truly above average/explosive offense in his entire career. It's a big question mark.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by dhp318:
Are people really assuming we're going to have an explosive offense? Smith had a good season, but he's never shown that he can run a truly above average/explosive offense in his entire career. It's a big question mark.

Yeah with the additions of Moss, Manningham, Jenkins, and James I don't see what else we are supposed to expect. Even when Baalke sais "What we are trying to do is add speed and explosiveness" I don't see why we should assume anything less.
Originally posted by dhp318:

anyway now we finally have a coach and an offseason in the same system

i have never seen an offense become elite or great in the first year after the first year in a new offense

and also not to mention this is by far the best WR corps we have had in a while
We have alex smith as our QB... Our offense won't be that explosive.
More potent yes
i picked yes just to hopefully keep the poll near a 20%-80% mark
I want explosive offense with balance. Running the ball also. Not just quick strike, then the defense has to get back on the field again. Adequate long drives to protect the D. Because the other team's offense will try to pass the ball to catch up. That's a lot of running for the defense built on speed. They might end up gassed towards the end of the game. Explosive offense to score and protect a win with balance.
If the offense controls the ball, stands to reason the defense gets better. Seeing that they cant run against us and if we are putting points TDs not FGs the other teams will be passing a lot. So it may show that our D isnt good on passing plays but really if there is lots of passing against us the stats may not show how good the D really is.

nah, they'll have more rest and in turn be more explosive/dominant
I think the D will be better. They will definitely get more rest w/less 3 & outs.

Predictions are tough. The glass is either half full or half empty. If Alex has an average year - then it's all on him. If he has a great year it's because of the supporting cast. I like his attitude and I'm sure he doesn't listen to the crap like the stuff posted in the Zone.

We will have an explosive offense but not in lots of quick scores. I feel, there will be lots of big yard chunk plays combined with solid running game resulting in more TD's and less FG.

I think the playcalling will be like combination punchng in boxing. - You never know what you're going to get hit with next.
Yes. I expect more turnovers from the O this year and more time on the field for our D as a result. I think that we'll still have a top 5 D, but there will be some drop off.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Yes. I expect more turnovers from the O this year and more time on the field for our D as a result. I think that we'll still have a top 5 D, but there will be some drop off.

You know, if this were any other team, I would say it is only natural a Defense relaxes when their offense scores more points...

...but man, Jim Harbaugh is the head coach! That dude doesn't relax and I want to believe that he instills that mentality in his players. They want to start the game with the foot on the throat only to want to smash it through the core.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

I agree. With all this speed we are going to be taking more shots downfield which means riskier throws by Smith. I'm not saying he can't make them but to say he will not turn the ball over more because of the throws downfield is crazy. Its gonna be tough to replicate a 13-3 record with a target on our backs now. 11-5 sounds realistic and should be good enough to win the West again. D will probably be in top 8.
Share 49ersWebzone