LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Moss looking good in workouts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) Randy Moss shed the dreads and looked every bit a team player as he demonstrated a cut and quick feet for his fellow wide receivers, who listened intently and observed while the veteran impressed in his first formal practice with the San Francisco 49ers.

Clean cut with a short hairdo and sporting a red No. 84 jersey while running routes under clear skies, Moss is one of the signature faces for the new-look Niners. After a comeback season in 2011, they're determined to make another Super Bowl push.

The 35-year-old Moss even dazzled with a 55-yard touchdown catch from Alex Smith - no matter that there were no defenders in his way, the play drew cheers from right tackle Anthony Davis, who threw his arms into the air in celebration.

After catching a 30-yard pass — one of perhaps 20 such routes today — Moss waited for Crabtree to do the same and they seemed to discuss the route they just ran. That's a positive development on a couple fronts: 1.) Crabtree is healthy enough to participate in offseason drills; 2.) Crabtree is receptive to learning from Moss, a 13-year veteran.

Update: Moss declined interview requests, but did tell the Associated Press' Janie McCauley as he got in his SUV to leave the 49ers' facility: "Work is over, baby, we're outta here."

These are voluntary workouts, and no offense-vs.-defense actions is permitted. But everyone seemed in full-speed mode, hustling between drills and attentively listening to coaches. That included Moss receiving tips from position coach John Morton.

Kaepernick added of Moss: "When you see him out there, running around catching balls, you can tell the talent he has and what he's going to bring to the team."

Whitner said, "A lot of times we're running with chains on our backs, we're running 60-yard sprints. So you can see that he can really run. A lot of times he's leading in the sprints. So if I had to say anything, I don't think he lost a step at all."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2012/05/10/moss-crabtree-busy-at-work-and-at-forging-bond/

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/moss-looks-focused-first-day-205502959--nfl.html
[ Edited by Howlett49 on May 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM ]
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
merge this with the moss thread
Its nice to see Moss is serious about his comeback. He could have done the veteran thing and waited for mandatory workouts, which is more than I can say about Manningham and Jacobs. they maybe veterans but they are rookies in the system.
After a comeback season in 2011, they're determined to make another Super Bowl push. The 35-year-old Moss even dazzled with a 55-yard touchdown catch from Alex Smith -- no matter that there were no defenders in his way, the play drew cheers from right tackle Anthony Davis, who threw his arms into the air in celebration.--NFL.com

I know it's in shorts with no defenders, but I would love to see that play.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Its nice to see Moss is serious about his comeback. He could have done the veteran thing and waited for mandatory workouts, which is more than I can say about Manningham and Jacobs. they maybe veterans but they are rookies in the system.

Didn't Manningham and Jacobs attend the first few voluntary workouts? I agree they should be out there with the rest of the group today, but there is usually a reason why players aren't working out on certain days. I'm just happy to be reading about Moss kinda taking Crab under his wing.
Originally posted by ninertico:
After a comeback season in 2011, they're determined to make another Super Bowl push. The 35-year-old Moss even dazzled with a 55-yard touchdown catch from Alex Smith -- no matter that there were no defenders in his way, the play drew cheers from right tackle Anthony Davis, who threw his arms into the air in celebration.--NFL.com

I know it's in shorts with no defenders, but I would love to see that play.

Me too! The practice was open to the media. So I'm curious to see if any pics or video footage come out later today.
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
merge this with the moss thread

Which one? The "Moss to miss voluntary workouts" thread? Well........ so much for that!
everbody looks good in these practices....want preseason action
Originally posted by jreff22:

Practice? Practice? You talkin' bout practice?
Originally posted by Howlett49:
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) Randy Moss shed the dreads and looked every bit a team player as he demonstrated a cut and quick feet for his fellow wide receivers, who listened intently and observed while the veteran impressed in his first formal practice with the San Francisco 49ers.

Clean cut with a short hairdo and sporting a red No. 84 jersey while running routes under clear skies, Moss is one of the signature faces for the new-look Niners. After a comeback season in 2011, they're determined to make another Super Bowl push.

The 35-year-old Moss even dazzled with a 55-yard touchdown catch from Alex Smith - no matter that there were no defenders in his way, the play drew cheers from right tackle Anthony Davis, who threw his arms into the air in celebration.

After catching a 30-yard pass — one of perhaps 20 such routes today — Moss waited for Crabtree to do the same and they seemed to discuss the route they just ran. That's a positive development on a couple fronts: 1.) Crabtree is healthy enough to participate in offseason drills; 2.) Crabtree is receptive to learning from Moss, a 13-year veteran.

Update: Moss declined interview requests, but did tell the Associated Press' Janie McCauley as he got in his SUV to leave the 49ers' facility: "Work is over, baby, we're outta here."

These are voluntary workouts, and no offense-vs.-defense actions is permitted. But everyone seemed in full-speed mode, hustling between drills and attentively listening to coaches. That included Moss receiving tips from position coach John Morton.

Kaepernick added of Moss: "When you see him out there, running around catching balls, you can tell the talent he has and what he's going to bring to the team."

Whitner said, "A lot of times we're running with chains on our backs, we're running 60-yard sprints. So you can see that he can really run. A lot of times he's leading in the sprints. So if I had to say anything, I don't think he lost a step at all."

Originally posted by jreff22:

Apparently Kaep didn't.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Apparently Kaep didn't.

I just hear he didn't look as good as Johnson.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
So much is made of our rookie wide out running a hill with jerry rice but I am very very pleased to see moss mentoring ginn and crabtree. i know some hate both moss and crabtree but come on. Moss probably feels like a den mother to her cubs and it sounds like he is teaching ginn and crabtree how to play the game. I got no problem with that and all niner fans should be happy to hear this. It only means good things for our team
Originally posted by cciowa:
So much is made of our rookie wide out running a hill with jerry rice but I am very very pleased to see moss mentoring ginn and crabtree. i know some hate both moss and crabtree but come on. Moss probably feels like a den mother to her cubs and it sounds like he is teaching ginn and crabtree how to play the game. I got no problem with that and all niner fans should be happy to hear this. It only means good things for our team

totally agree
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
personally i think that taking part in a voluntary workout with your team mates is a helluva lot more valuable that running some hill with someone who is no longer on the team. tell me how that builds chemistry with your quarterbacks please. crabtree with moss and the quarterbacks in this workout is much much more valuable than the "hill"
Share 49ersWebzone