There are 193 users in the forums

Alex Boone competing at OG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
If Boone proves to be the best option at RG, then you have to start him. I'm really hoping Kilgore steps up and wins the job so we can keep Boone as the swing tackle. His best position is probably at tackle anyhow since he's never played guard in his life, and at 6'8", is an odd fit at guard. He's got to be one hell of a knee-bender.

a little over 6-foot-7 1/2

I stand corrected.
Regardless of whether or not Boone can stay low enough through contact to get leverage during run blocking, the practice will make him a better run-blocking tackle.

I'm hoping Kilgore is better than Boone at RG, cause there is no way Kilgore would be better than Boone at OT.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Just saw a video with Alex Boone in action.

MAMMOTH of a MAN.

Kinda slow but s**t. Big as fuk
The only thing about Boone is that he is light for his frame at 6'8" he is only 300 lbs. On the inside, he will have to handle the bull rushes, even he said that he will need to gain 20 lbs. Kilgore is only 308, but he is five inches shorter and more compaq. We will see in the preseason.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
The only thing about Boone is that he is light for his frame at 6'8" he is only 300 lbs. On the inside, he will have to handle the bull rushes, even he said that he will need to gain 20 lbs. Kilgore is only 308, but he is five inches shorter and more compaq. We will see in the preseason.

You're wrong.
The dude is 6'8. He is lean - a lot of muscle in that 300lbs. He actually has lost a lot of weight, probably about 30lbs since he started in the NFL.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by WildBill:

You're wrong.
The dude is 6'8. He is lean - a lot of muscle in that 300lbs. He actually has lost a lot of weight, probably about 30lbs since he started in the NFL.

Did anyone REALLY watch Adam Snyder last year? That dude was maybe 290 lbs... very slim. ( jus sayin' )

Boone is a better OT, but if he's the best RG option we have? Then that's it... he starts.
If Boone does win the RG spot, I think it helps the passing game tremendously. Wide base, large wingspan, and fundamentally sound. It'll allow AD to kick out a little farther meaning the DE has to line up wider, and is more likely to be ridin around Smith rather than into him. He may not be able to get as low as some DT's in the league but he should be able to punch the DT from a distance which will help make up for not getting as low initially.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
If Boone does win the RG spot, I think it helps the passing game tremendously. Wide base, large wingspan, and fundamentally sound. It'll allow AD to kick out a little farther meaning the DE has to line up wider, and is more likely to be ridin around Smith rather than into him. He may not be able to get as low as some DT's in the league but he should be able to punch the DT from a distance which will help make up for not getting as low initially.

harbaughs running offense it seems has the guards pulling a lot. Boone doesnt seem all the athletic, i wonder if that will effect it at all.

But I agree with you, and I think when he is not pulling it will help the run game as well too. 6'8 beast making holes.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I don't care how tall he measured last week.

As long as he's got sound technique and the strength to hold off DTs instead of DEs and OLBs, then he's a okay in my book. Frankly, Boone can be the upgrade to Adam Snyder we've been hoping for the last...3-4 years.
Originally posted by GEEK:
I don't care how tall he measured last week.

As long as he's got sound technique and the strength to hold off DTs instead of DEs and OLBs, then he's a okay in my book. Frankly, Boone can be the upgrade to Adam Snyder we've been hoping for the last...3-4 years.

I just dont see how this dude will be able to get low enough? He'll be facing guys his weight and possibly stronger, but nearly 4 inches shorter.

harbaughs running offense it seems has the guards pulling a lot. Boone doesnt seem all the athletic
You talking then or now? I ask because Boone is much quicker and in better shape than before... so I would think he can handle the pull blocks pretty well.

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I just dont see how this dude will be able to get low enough? He'll be facing guys his weight and possibly stronger, but nearly 4 inches shorter.
Can't remember the name at the moment, but Oakland had a top rd OT that sucked at OT, but when moved in at G, he was very good. Another 6' 7"-ish guy, he was.

At some point it rests on attitude and tenacity. I like Kilgore because he is a feisty guy who seems personally insulted by D players trying to get by him. Boone may have the same disposition...and I read that Slowey and Looney are pretty nasty as well. I would rather have quick and nasty than talented but slow or complacent. Of course, quick nasty and talented would be great!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
harbaughs running offense it seems has the guards pulling a lot. Boone doesnt seem all the athletic
You talking then or now? I ask because Boone is much quicker and in better shape than before... so I would think he can handle the pull blocks pretty well.

Can't remember the name at the moment, but Oakland had a top rd OT that sucked at OT, but when moved in at G, he was very good. Another 6' 7"-ish guy, he was.

I believe you're referencing Jared Veldheer? If he's the guy Im thinking of, he even got some time at C as a rookie and impressed. Good to know similarly tall individuals have succeeded on the inside.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I looked up the height of good guards,

6'3'' - 6' 5'' seems to be the ideal size.

The following are 6'3''- 6' 5'': Iupati, Hutchinson, Bruce Matthews, Carl Nicks, Randle Mcdaniel, LArry Allen, Mike Munchak, Gene Upshaw and the list goes on.

Harbaugh discusses Boone's height with Maiocco; Sees no problem with it:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/ninersvideo?PID=hXWM2-QssmDjEcTP__3dTOQ3DcilSZqbYEyrhi

Interesting that this happened to be addressed just now.

Seems like Harbaugh is fully intent on playing Boone if he deems him the best at the spot. We'll see what happens.

I'm all for it. If the coaches like what they see, hell, why not? I mean we turned a DE into a pro bowl FB in one year....Tackle to Guard is easier probably.

I was just curious to see how tall the better guards in the league were. I posted it for others to see.
There was even some mention in these Boone articles of seeing of ADavis might move into RG if Boone was better sutied to RT. Personally, not a fan of the idea of having tall, relatively light tackles trying to play G. Shoot, its hard enough for the QB to see over the OL as it is! (joking).

I'd rather see Boone stay as the swing OT and let Kilgore or Looney fight for the job.
Share 49ersWebzone