There are 149 users in the forums

Alex Boone competing at OG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
@MadDog49er

I agree with your original post. I'd rather they get a true guard and not move guys to a position they aren't ideal for. But having Boone at guard this early aren't set in stone either. They are just trying guys out at different position on the line to see what they have. Plus the rookie guard aren't in until today. I think you've overreacted to Boone at guard at this early stage of OTA.
  • cools
  • Veteran
I think we did find a legit RG in Looney, but this way he can be eased into the spot
and Boone gets experience at OG, Boone becomes even more valuable as a "6th OL"

That may be important during a game if we only have 7 active and someone gets dinged
[ Edited by cools on May 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM ]
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Seems like most of the zone prefers to keep Boone at the tackle spot.

He's so long and rather lean at this point... now has developed better foot speed and lateral range than Anthony Davis... who is a little over 2 inches shorter. Seems like Boone's height, length, and skills make for a much better RT. (34 and 3/8 arms)
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
@MadDog49er

I agree with your original post. I'd rather they get a true guard and not move guys to a position they aren't ideal for. But having Boone at guard this early aren't set in stone either. They are just trying guys out at different position on the line to see what they have. Plus the rookie guard aren't in until today. I think you've overreacted to Boone at guard at this early stage of OTA.

I have no problem with guys being able to play a variety of positions. It is a good thing that Boone is learning to play RG. But, it just seems like the team does not have a plan at RG, and to me, we are playing the same ugly tune as last offseason. The season begins in 17 weeks, and that would be a quick transition to get Boone ready to play guard.

To me, Boone is the perfect swing tackle.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
@MadDog49er

I have no problem with guys being able to play a variety of positions. It is a good thing that Boone is learning to play RG. But, it just seems like the team does not have a plan at RG, and to me, we are playing the same ugly tune as last offseason. The season begins in 17 weeks, and that would be a quick transition to get Boone ready to play guard.

To me, Boone is the perfect swing tackle.

Could it be that the team saw strengths in those players that displayed better at other OL positions rather than the one they played in college? I think too many teams try to force a players college experience to the pros, especially later picks. The generalities may be similar but when more specific techniques are required as the NFL requires, then new strengths of that player may be presented that allows him to be more successful at a different position.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's better as a swing tackle backup. Injuries happen every year. So he needs to be ready. We have no tackle backup if he gets hurt at Guard. Do you want that? That's worse.

if a Tackle gets injrured he will switch out to T and we will have kilgore looney or whoever come in at G

This seems to logical and easy to grasp. I do not understand the angst.
Originally posted by buck:
He's better as a swing tackle backup. Injuries happen every year. So he needs to be ready. We have no tackle backup if he gets hurt at Guard. Do you want that? That's worse.

if a Tackle gets injrured he will switch out to T and we will have kilgore looney or whoever come in at G

if Boone gets hurt?
MD has a point...

"That's why we're out here. We're going to find out what all these guys' best position is and who's better at each position."
http://blog.49ers.com/2012/05/11/slowey-lines-up-at-center-with-49ers/
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I dont like this idea at all. Having a reliable swing tackle is important. Even if he could be the "best" guard on the right side, how much better is he than Looney/Kilgore? Is it enough to justify not having a quality OT back up? Do we really want to shuffle two positions at the Oline if one of are starting OTs gets hurt during the season? Even worst, what if Boone gets hurt? Then who is the back up? Having the "best" five on the field might be an over simplification. The season is long and you have to think strategically.

Completely agree.

Let's say Boone wins the job at RG. Sounds great right? Because you want the best players on the field.
Here's the problem: He gets injured, (happens all the time to starters) and now we have no backup LT, no backup RT. Instead we have a bunch of wishes and hopes and stuff like, "Well the coaches seem to like Person."

That is not good enough for a team trying to compete for a ring. You need a reliable backup T who is ready to go if someone goes down.
We could afford to have Snyder as the swing man BECAUSE we had Boone ready to come into a game.

Risking all three of your proven tackles to injury makes no sense. If we are forced to resort to this, then we should have made a bigger commitment to sign a free agent or get a better draft pick. Boone should be focusing at T, an extremely important position, not guard. This isn't high school football. You need a committed backup T in the NFL.

I have to respectfully disagree on that one. I think that's a little pessimistic view of looking at it and a sort of "not-to-lose" mentality. I think you'd want the best players on the field, and it'd seem silly just to keep Boone on the bench because you're afraid of what will happen if both he and one of our starting tackles gets hurt. This is football and injuries happen, but I don't think you should alter your line-up based on the minimal probability of a series of negative events. That's like kicking a field goal on 3rd down because you're afraid you might not make the 1st down and/or the touchdown on the play, so you'll just be safe.

Boone could get hurt in practice while still being on the bench and we could lose our swing tackle that way too. I think you play the best guy. I don't know if that's Boone, but whoever it is, I think deserves to start.

If we're that confident in our tackle depth (Staley, Davis, Boone, Person -- and then both Kilgore and Slowey with experience in a pinch of course), then I don't have a problem with them trying Boone at guard. At this point, I am led to believe they are 100% OK with the slight risk.

In the end, it won't matter unless he wins the job. If anyone else gets it, these points all become moot.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM ]
Keeping a guy from starting because you are worried about injuries seems counter-intuitive...and would not do much for team morale. A sub can be injured as easily as a starter because subs often play STs--the most dangerous area for injuries. If you play a lesser player at RG and he allows the QB to be injured...what then? You just threw away your season.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Keeping a guy from starting because you are worried about injuries seems counter-intuitive...and would not do much for team morale. A sub can be injured as easily as a starter because subs often play STs--the most dangerous area for injuries. If you play a lesser player at RG and he allows the QB to be injured...what then? You just threw away your season.

we drafted 4 guys for the interior in the past 2 years....one should be able to start
Originally posted by jreff22:
we drafted 4 guys for the interior in the past 2 years....one should be able to start

This is really all you need to know for the debate. Why draft so many interior lineman if you plan to move the only backup tackle to guard? I assume if Boone wins the job we'll bring in a vet tackle?
  • buck
  • Veteran

if Boone gets hurt?

If Staley, Davis, or Bone gets hurt, we would only have two starting qualitity tackles.

The team can survie with two tackles.

If two tackles get hurt, and it makes no difference which two, the team has a big problem.

edit: At this point, we do not know who will starting at right guard.

Kilgore might win the job Looney might win the job. Boone might win the job.
[ Edited by buck on May 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM ]

if Boone gets hurt?

If Staley, Davis, or Bone gets hurt, we would only have two starting qualitity tackles.

If two tackles get hurt, and it makes no difference which two, the team has a big problem.

If Boone goes down you lose the #3 OT and a starting OG....stupid idea. And why draft 4 guys if none can step in and start?
  • buck
  • Veteran

if Boone gets hurt?

If Boone goes down you lose the #3 OT and a starting OG....stupid idea. And why draft 4 guys if none can step in and start?

I understand that. Let's see if the stupid idea becomes reality.
Share 49ersWebzone