Alex Boone competing at OG

Originally posted by Garcia:
I hope so.
That would be a great story.

GO BOONE.

Agree
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's better as a swing tackle backup. Injuries happen every year. So he needs to be ready. We have no tackle backup if he gets hurt at Guard. Do you want that? That's worse.

if a Tackle gets injrured he will switch out to T and we will have kilgore looney or whoever come in at G

Exactly... and I'm confused on why this needs to be explained so often.

I like Mike Person as someone who can learn to backup the LT and LG spots.

Really would love for Kilgore to focus mainly on C and battle with Slowey and Goodwin for that job. ( Goodwin was decent, but I'd love for someone to beat him out quickly... he's lazy and lacks power )

At RG, Boone or Davis would be a big upgrade to what we had. Body-type and skill-sets make me want to push Boone to RT for sure. No need to rush Looney whatsoever. He can be pure G backup as he develops... I really don't want a rookie starting on the line this year.
Davis is still showing signs of improvement at RT so until he hits the ceiling I would prefer to leave him there.

Boone to me just has an OT body so not sure how he would look at guard but if he's the best man for the job I won't be complaining.

Ultimately I would want the best guys out there to play but I think ideally I would love to see

LT: Staley
LG: Iupati
C: Kilgore or Looney
RG: Kilgore or Looney
RT: Davis
  • Chief
  • Veteran
It takes being tazered two times to bring this beast down!
I want to see how this plays out. Either Kilgore or Boone at guard. But it's still early in workout camp, where everything goes. They will try guys out just to see. I remember last year, they had Synder at Center just for look-see.
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Where is Slowey on this list?

wasn't fast enough to make the list
Boy, Alex Boone has really come a long way. He will have to work on the drawbacks of his height for the position. But I honestly think he can, and here's why:

- Boone is a natural pass blocker, and I can tell you that teaching pass blocking is much harder than teaching run blocking for OG's. Pass blocking is an art; run blocking is about nastiness and meanness. Those things are not hard to teach, especially when you're physically strong like Boone.

- While his height could be a serious liability, IF he learns to stay low and widen his base his height could be turned into a weapon (and I think that's the thinking of the coaching staff). NFL use wider splits (the distance or space between O-lineman) than college and high school to deal with complicated NFL D-line schemes and exotic stunts and twists. If he can learn to widen his base, by maintaining a lower profile, his height can be used to increase his rang in the passing game. It's hard to deploy stunts on a rangy OG.

If Boone can learn the OG position and win it he will be THE most dangerous O-lineman in the NFL. I think this is why they locked his up.
He's better as a swing tackle backup. Injuries happen every year. So he needs to be ready. We have no tackle backup if he gets hurt at Guard. Do you want that? That's worse.

if a Tackle gets injrured he will switch out to T and we will have kilgore looney or whoever come in at G

pretty sure SD's point is: if Boone gets hurt playing G, then you lose both your starting RG and your very valuable swing T backup.

it's a legit concern, but I'd still want Boone at RG if he performs better than the rest
Egos get involved and Staley made the pro bowl at left tackle, but I really liked him at right tackle. In the near future I see a line of Boone/Iupati/Kilgore/Davis/Staley.

Of course, this is from my seat in front of my TV, so my guess is as invalid as most. Slowey and Looney could be in that mix as well as Person. Both Davis and Iupati are quick enough to pull and are also strong run blockers inside. Looney should beat out Kilgore inside and Slowey might even be better but Kilgore has an edge of a year in training. This line could be a very good sweep line.

As for having players practice different positions during TC, that is the value of having a veteran line...they will already know their position well enough to be able to take in more info...just as the SF lines of the 80s did. SF is not there yet, too many young guys.
I don't see Boone being better at OG than Looney, Kilgore, and Slowey (all of whom are more naturally suited to play that position). He is 6'8" tall... I am not aware of any other OG in the league being that tall. 6'2" - 6'5" is about where you want a OG to be.

Here is what Boone will have to do to compensate for his height: he will have to play shorter than he is, which means he will have to sink his hips more and have excellent balance. On passing plays he will need to have very good (and quick) hands to keep defenders from getting into his chest (tackles are usually very good at this so he should be fine). On running plays he will need to come out of his stance very low without loosing power. Taller guys usually do this by putting more weight on their fingers while in their stance. However, this shift in weight can make it easy for the DL to detect what the play is going to be before the snap (putting the OG at a disadvantage). If the OG doesn't put more weight forward then he wont be able to come out of his stance with enough power to move the DL off the line of scrimmage. Finding that happy medium is the key to being a good run blocking OG. The taller you are, the harder it is to find that medium.

In short, Boone will have to be much better technically and have more lower body strength than Kilgore/Looney/Slowey in order to win the OG competition.

Also, none of that fixes the fact that Alex Smith isn't going to want to look and throw around a 6'8" obstacle right in the middle of the line.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Move that fool to DE.
Originally posted by vrabbit:

pretty sure SD's point is: if Boone gets hurt playing G, then you lose both your starting RG and your very valuable swing T backup.

it's a legit concern, but I'd still want Boone at RG if he performs better than the rest

It's a very legit concern. We're guard and center heavy at the top of the o-line depth chart looking at the 8 or 9 guys who are most likely to make the team. After Staley, Davis and Boone who do we really have at tackle? We have a few guys that played OT for small schools before kicking inside. If one of our three OT's goes down (heaven forbid) it's probably going to be street free agent time.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by vrabbit:

It's a very legit concern. We're guard and center heavy at the top of the o-line depth chart looking at the 8 or 9 guys who are most likely to make the team. After Staley, Davis and Boone who do we really have at tackle? We have a few guys that played OT for small schools before kicking inside. If one of our three OT's goes down (heaven forbid) it's probably going to be street free agent time.

This is why they need to groom Boone as #1 back up LT and RT,
Kilgore- starting RG
Beeler- back up center
Persons back up LT, RT, - Adam Snyder jack of all trades.

Looney- back up RG,lg
*edit*
[ Edited by SolRebe1 on May 10, 2012 at 8:21 AM ]
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Garcia:
I hope so.
That would be a great story.

GO BOONE.

Agree

Why would it be a great story? Was he abused as a child or something?