There are 162 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rank our skill position on Offense

Last year we barely had any targets to hit. We were banking on Crabtree to break out, didn't happen. We thought VD would blow up, didn't happen until the playoffs because he barely got it. Walker shoewd up early, but faded away as the season progressed.

Fast forward to 2012, we have a pleathera of options on offense.

Here are the list of offensive weapons in my order:

1. VD - Clearly, our best weapon after he was unstoppable in the playoffs. His connection with Smith is clear.

2. Gore - He may be on the decline of his career, but Gore can still chug the wheels. He has been doubted all his career and is a miraculous story of sheer win and determination for the game. If anyone on the team deserves a Super Bowl ring, its Frank the Tank Gore.

3. Manningham - He was due for a breakout year last year. Injuries i think slowed him down and he was re-ordered in the lineup behind Cruz and Hicks. Still rather productive. He should be Smith's new #1 by the time pre-season stats.

4. Hunter - This guy is quick and powerful, esp for his size. He should emerge as the #1 by the end of the season above VD and Gore, but we'll see for now how that goes.

5. Crabtree - I think he's gone when his contract is up, but he is still a viable threat. He need to get is ass in camp.

6. Jenkins - The rookie has speed. We can't tell what he can do right now but hopefully he moves up. He gets the 6 slot because he has that first round talent. And, that speed :-D.

7. Moss- Coming off a year which he didn't play...thats never a good thing, esp for a seasoned vet. If he doesn't get hurt he may be effective. Looks good in the workouts so far.

8. Ginn - Again, gotta respect that speed, even though he can't catch the damn ball. Plus. he ran those quick pitch plays to perfection. Look for LaMichael James to take that role.

9. LaMichael James - Super quick, fast and a playmaker. Also underrated blocker and underrated between the tackles. He may be small, but with his reflexes and quickness, guys won't be able to get a lick on em, Look for a lot of pitches and screens to this man.

10. Walker- Number 2 tight end. I know people say he's "overrateed," but he's not. He's a great #2 tight end to have. And as you can see, i think he's the 10th option. For what he is, that's and awesome luxury to have.

The point of this thread was to display exactly how great this offense is looking so far. Last year, we had guys like ICE, Staley and even Andy Lee and Akers making plays.

Imagine wtf Harbaugh is conjuring up right now for these guys. Plus, our Line should be in tact, we have plenty of big bodies competing at Guard, somebody has to emerge and be at least better the Snyder, who some believed was the worst starting guard in the league.

Holy s**t we are going to be good this year. Look at all the weapons!
I'm extremely excited to see the trick plays that Harbaugh has up his sleeve.. Ginn/James doing reverses.. even on kick returns. Seeing a receiving formation with Crabs/Moss/Jenkins/Manningham/Davis .. Good lord mannnn
The key is to have these guys playing together for a period of time without injuries to each one of them and missing time because of it. That's what was so frustrating last year too. We weren't lacking on talent as much as the talents were injured. The whole receiver group only played together 2 maybe 3 games together that I remember. The rest of the time there were 1 or 2 guys out. Especially with shorten camps. That just killed any cohesive passing offense we might have had.

By the way you forgot Miller. He should be better next year also. Maybe more work on running with the ball. Converting those 3rd and 1.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The key is to have these guys playing together for a period of time without injuries to each one of them and missing time because of it. That's what was so frustrating last year too. We weren't lacking on talent as much as the talents were injured. The whole receiver group only played together 2 maybe 3 games together that I remember. The rest of the time there were 1 or 2 guys out. Especially with shorten camps. That just killed any cohesive passing offense we might have had.

By the way you forgot Miller. He should be better next year also. Maybe more work on running with the ball. Converting those 3rd and 1.

Yeah Miller is a good WR, for a FB shockingly.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Holy s**t we are going to be good this year. Look at all the weapons!

I agree with you, somewhat, but I have to rain on the parade and say that while there's quite a bit of talent... there's also quite a bit of uncertainty with each of the players.

Vernon Davis - Not the greatest route-runner. He tore up the Giants and Saints, but... for some reason, those two teams did a terrible job of covering him, even with them knowing we had no other receivers. Hoping Vernon improves so that he doesn't just run the seam, crossing, and post routes. He's a top tight end, but I think his route tree isn't as good as some of the other great receiving tight ends.

Runningbacks - I'm gonna be honest: our stable of backs is awesome. It's a shame that a decent runningback like Anthony Dixon or Brandon Jacobs is going to be cut after camp. Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James are so shifty and elusive. I really hope the coaches develop a screen game. The couple times we hit Hunter with a screen last year: good things happened.

Michael Crabtree - This is the guy that was held to three yards against single coverage in the playoffs.

Mario Manningham - I actually think he'll be extremely productive at his position. But there's a question mark... Eli Manning was throwing him the ball, and he also had the benefit of Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz drawing coverage. It'll be interesting to see how he does with a more conservative passer and a less explosive receiving corps.

A.J. Jenkins - An undersized rookie. Hope he puts weight on and is a quick learner.

Randy Moss - Potentially Tennessee Titans Randy Moss. But if he's in shape and motivated, it'll be exciting.

Ted Ginn - He had his chances to be a receiver last year with all the injuries. He didn't do anything for us. Maybe with a fully functioning offense and a second-year Greg Roman, Ginn will see more productivity... but I really doubt it, especially when we're likely to save him exclusively for punt returns.

Delanie Walker - I think he *is* a tad bit overrated, but his value's more in the run game than in the pass, in my opinion. Teams generally respect that he can catch the ball, so I think he's more of a decoy for the run game than an actual weapon. Overall though, his receiving productivity doesn't match up with what everyone says about him.

There's a lot of talent in the passing game for next year... but a lot of question marks too. The thing that gives me reason to believe we'll have a passing game in the Top 16 is that Baalke brought in MULTIPLE possibilities. Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, and A.J. Jenkins all have question marks, yes, but I think it's a very good bet that *one* of them will pan out and be a good receiver for us.
Seattle wants to injure at least 5/10 of those guys.....

[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on May 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM ]
Moss
Gore
Davis
Crabs
James
Jenkins
Manningham
Hunter
Walker
Ginn
[ Edited by jreff22 on May 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM ]
Lamicheal James is the difference maker.
what about the flysweep with Ginn and James on the field. oh snap....
The likely skill guys are.

WR- Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins and Ginn
RB- Gore, James and Hunter
TE- Vernon and Delanie

Obviously Vernon is #1 target, if Moss proves it he is #2, Gore would be #3, Crabtree #4, Manningham #5, Delanie #6, James #7, Hunter #8, Jenkins #9 and Ginn #10.
It's kind of interesting looking at the offensive side of the roster this way. You have one locked in group that includes the "signal callers", and the "blockers" including the o-line, Miller and Byham. That will eat up 13 or 14 roster spots depending on whether we keep 8 or 9 linemen. Assuming 25 offensive roster spots that leaves 11 or 12 roster spots open for the "play makers". I put the year the player is signed through in parenthesis (15).

1. Davis (15) - He carried our offense on his back on the big stage. #1 until proven otherwise.
2. Crabtree (14) - He got shut down in the playoffs, but I see the talent. I think he'll benefit from continuity along with Smith.
3. Moss (12) - I know it was just pad-less workouts, but the dude looked serious as a heart-attack on the 49ers.com football school segment. High hopes!
4. Gore (14) - This will be his seventh, and I think final season, as the incumbent bell cow. His receiving totals last year were the lowest of his career by a lot.
5. Manningham (13) - I really don't know what to epxect from this guy, but it will be refreshing to be able to field 3 good WR's in a formation again.
6. Walker (12) - Touches are going to be tougher and tougher to come by for the swiss-army knife of the offense.
7. Hunter (14) - Showed great burst last year running and receiving. He should see increased touches.
9. James (15) - Future tandem in the works with Hunter. I'm sure Roman will find ways to get the kid the ball in space.
8. Jenkins (15) - My first impressions of Jenkins are very positive, but unless Moss flames out it will be tough to see many touches as a rookie.
10. Ginn (12) - Barring injury Ginn shouldn't see much work from the LOS. Teddy's fast, but I'd rather see Moss or James run the fly sweep.
11. Jacobs (12) - Unless Gore shows obvious signs of age or heaven forbid gets injured I don't know how we keep Jacobs guy happy.
12. Williams (13) - The mother of all goats still has an outside chance. If he makes it he will have certainly earned it.
13. Dixon (13) - He's gone.
14. Cartwright (12) - I know he's dreamy in the locker room and a special teams ace and all that, but who do you cut to keep him?
15. Camp surprise? - Not this year. There's way too much depth.

This is one hell of a roster of playmakers. Final cuts will be an absolute bear this September.

Can't wait!
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on May 2, 2012 at 6:46 AM ]
VERY GOOD RANKING....THANKS Young2Rice

GREETINGS FROM LIMA PERU....
Why does everybody keep saying that Gore is on a decline when he just had one of his best if not best season ever?
[ Edited by BayArea on May 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM ]
Going on their best season and dynamic impact:

Moss--possibly the best receiver in all football

VD--best chemistry with Smith, a threat from anywhere, great blocker as well (added value)

Gore--Consistently good RB, dependable, ball security

Manningham--very good second or third receiver, very good long-ball threat

Crabtree--should be very good possesson receiver if he can workout all off-season

Hunter--demonstrated ability to run inside and out, good receiver

Miller--surprised everyone by being a good receiver and a pretty good blocker

Walker--Solid second TE, very versatile

Ginn--STs but limited on offense

Rookies:

James--RB more likely to contribute early, dynamic runner, can contribute as a RB, receiver and on STs

Jenkens--will work his way up the depth chart but may not start this year

Osuwu--hopeful, will be on PS unless someone is injured, will help in practice as he knows the offense.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM ]
Originally posted by BayArea:
Why does everybody keep saying that Gore is on a decline when he just had one of his best if not best season ever?

Are you serious?