There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will we FINALLY have a player reach 1,000 yards receiving in 2012?

Will we FINALLY have a player reach 1,000 yards receiving in 2012?

Originally posted by Toronto49er:
and so it begins........

I voted no because there are alot of weapons on this team and the ball will be spread around.

Have to agree unless Moss goes crazy.
even if gire
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
1) Vernon Davis - After EVERYONE saw Vernon destroy both the Saints and Giants secondary in the playoffs, Im sure Harbaugh and Roman will both get Vernon off to a fast start during the season and will feed him the ball. In his last 3 games played in 2011 including the last game vs the Rams Vernon had a total of 18rec 410yds 4td ; a 22.8yds/catch average. With the new additions, it will only open more up for Vernon Davis. 2012 prediction: 77rec 1,190yds 14td
2) Michael Crabtree - Every season in his early career he has seen his yards per season go up. With a healthy offseason, more work with Alex, and more weapons to put Crabtree 1 on 1, I see this as the year where Michael puts his name in the elite WR category.. 2012 predcition: 85rec 1,052yds 8td

A bit optimistic, since it's tough to have two players both at 1000+ yards in a season. Of course, it's a passing league now... and both Crabtree and Davis each had about 800 yards receiving in a run-first offense, and Alex Smith only averaged 197 yards a game.

With another 400-500 passing yards over the course of the season, or an extra 20+ yards a game, that's a pretty good shot for Crabs and VD eclipsing 1000 yards.

Teams are gonna double Vernon Davis though, especially after seeing what he did to the Saints and Giants. The number-one focus will be to stop him, because clearly, Vernon Davis is a gamer and was *THE* offense for us in the playoffs. Until Crabtree and the other receivers step up, I imagine the staff will have to be very creative to get him the ball. Last year, teams were pretty good about taking the seam route away from Vernon, so by the time of the playoffs, Vernon was running more crossing routes and it worked out well.

As for Crabtree, there's no reason why he shouldn't be a 1000+ yard receiver. He's got Vernon Davis as a deep threat. Manningham, Moss, and/or A.J. Jenkins will probably be productive enough that Crabtree will probably be single-covered (albeit by the #1 corner). If he can't get decent production with single coverage, that's just lame.
Moss
multiple 1000 yard receivers. Crabs and VD i think will both hit 1000 yards and if Alex goes ape s**t in our hopefully wide open offense there could be another
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
multiple 1000 yard receivers. Crabs and VD i think will both hit 1000 yards and if Alex goes ape s**t in our hopefully wide open offense there could be another

I expect improvement in Year 2 of this offense, but I don't think Alex Smith will put up those kind of numbers.
[ Edited by PTulini on May 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM ]
double post
[ Edited by PTulini on May 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM ]
Originally posted by danimal:
Alex Smith is still the QB right?

and so it begins........

I voted no because there are alot of weapons on this team and the ball will be spread around.

He will spread the ball around a lot and somebody will get 999 3/4 yards.... The same way Alex seems to be able to have multiple 299 3/4 yards games but doesn't usually crack 300.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

I expect improvement in Year 2 of this offense, but I don't think Alex Smith will put up those kind of numbers.
i dont see it beyond the realm of possibility for him to hit 4k or so yards. i think alex is a smart dude and in a very safe, very limited offense he still had 3144 yards. this year our only receiving threats will not be just VD and Crabs so these guys will have more breathing room and open things up for everyone on the team to get more yac. also with the new weapons we've added this year it looks like harbaugh is planning to let it rip so im expecting some big things. could be wrong of course but i think harbaugh and roman will let smith have way more freedom than he did last year within the offense and smith knows the offense a lot better this year so he'll be more confident.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

this ^

you mean like lots of weapons like the Saints, Packers, Giants and Patriots who manage not 1 but 2 thousand yard receivers usually

Yea they all have one thing we don't. Want to take a guess what that is?
Originally posted by Husker49er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

this ^

you mean like lots of weapons like the Saints, Packers, Giants and Patriots who manage not 1 but 2 thousand yard receivers usually

Yea they all have one thing we don't. Want to take a guess what that is?

they each pass the ball ike 40 to 50 times a game thats the only reason why they have 2 1000 yard WR i mean if alex passed it 40 to 5o times a game he would have close to 4200 yards or so and we just werent built for that last year with new playbook not to mention our depleted WR corps

that being said barring injury i dont see a way crabtree doesnt make 1000 yards as long as he is #1 WR

he id good enought o bear 1 on 1 coverage which is what he will see this year he just isnt good enough to beat double coverage which if he does see this year manningham/ VD/Moss should be able to take advantage off
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on May 2, 2012 at 6:13 AM ]
At 3 players will have 1000 yards, maybe 4
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
1) Vernon Davis - After EVERYONE saw Vernon destroy both the Saints and Giants secondary in the playoffs, Im sure Harbaugh and Roman will both get Vernon off to a fast start during the season and will feed him the ball. In his last 3 games played in 2011 including the last game vs the Rams Vernon had a total of 18rec 410yds 4td ; a 22.8yds/catch average. With the new additions, it will only open more up for Vernon Davis. 2012 prediction: 77rec 1,190yds 14td
2) Michael Crabtree - Every season in his early career he has seen his yards per season go up. With a healthy offseason, more work with Alex, and more weapons to put Crabtree 1 on 1, I see this as the year where Michael puts his name in the elite WR category.. 2012 predcition: 85rec 1,052yds 8td

Good post, I was thinking the same thing with similar stats to yours. I don't think trizee will put up 8 tds though, I think that's where Randy will come up big for us.
Niners its going to be ugly for whoever plays a against us next year. Yes, even with Alex as our qb. He will succeed next year, everything that is needed for a qb to succeed is here now. I'm going to stick to my 2 players (vd and trizee) with over 1000 yards. It wouldn't surprise me if we had 3 players pass the 1000 yard mark though. Our team is going to be scary dangerous....
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I don't think they will, but that doesn't mean we won't be a good offense.

I could see something like this

Davis & Crabtree: 900 yards each
Manningham: 750 yards
Moss: 600 yards

We just are going to be a balanced offense and won't throw it around like the top passing teams do so the numbers wont be through the roof.

I agree with this. We could potentially have 2 1000 yard receivers in Davis & Crabtree. But I think it is more likely they finish short. The ball will be spread around. Alex has always been good about that. The addition of Manningham and Moss will improve the deep passing game... but Davis and Crabtree will still get more looks underneath.

I think it will turn out something like this:

Crabtree 1000
Davis 900
Manningham 600
Jenkins 500
Other (Gore, Hunter, James, Walker, etc) 500