LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Does Chris Owusu Make the Team in 2012?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Chris Owusu Make the Team in 2012?

He does know the playbook better than most of the WR on that team. With that said, either he or Williams won't make it-barring injuries.
Practice squad IMO
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Practice squad IMO

but another team will pick him off-I guarantee it.

Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Practice squad IMO

but another team will pick him off-I guarantee it.

We hear things like this said about players every year. The guy hasn't even stepped foot on the field yet in the NFL. If he plays that well to earn a shot to be on an active roster, he'll make the team. If he doesn't make our team, I'll bet he has a really good chance to clear waivers.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 13, 2012 at 2:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by HearstFan:
We have a lot of the same type of receivers, small, fast types. It makes the competition almost irrelevant -- you get AJ, Owusu, or KW. They all pose the same threat to the defense.

I still think this is the one mistake made in the make-up of the team. 1. It keeps the receiving types 1 dimensional, and 2. it makes it harder on the QB to not have a good outlet guy to convert 3rd downs -- either at WR or TE.

Moss has to make the team. This team still lacks a big body receiver, Moss is the closest thing to that, although he is not an across the middle possession/conversion receiver.
Moss is 6'4 and has crazy leap, thats all we need.

As to same "type of WR" I have to disagree. Just because AJ and Moss are fast doesn't mean they play the same. If I had to group by type, it would look like this:

Crabs/Manningham - Well rounded short and intermidiate threat.

KW - Slot reciever

Moss - Only proven Deep threat

Ginn - Very fast, but staff has never used him as a 9 route guy.

Jenkins -TBD - But I see him as an all purpose WR. Where as Crabs is intermidate to short, I see Jenkins as being all purpose with his speed being a major threat.

They did ocassionally . . . like the 75 yard TD vs. the Ravens that was negated by that horrid chop block call. But not if better options are available.
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Randy Moss has never been fully motivated - yet suddenly you think he is? And you don't see what his last season playing is indicative of...because he was awesome a few years ago?

"Randy Moss has never been fully motivated". You must be a genius. One of the greatest statistical careers in NFL history was accomplished with no motivation. I will take that in a heartbeat.

Im not wasting my time reiterating what I have already stated. Harbaugh is on board, I could give a f**k what you think.
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
His concussions hid him out of the draft. But his talent won't let him to see a practice squad for more than a day.

Do you understand that if someone takes him from our P squad they have to put him on their ACTIVE roster?

Tell me how you think a team sees a player as good enough to put him directly on their active roster yet he is not good enough to use a 7th round draft pick on.
In ability this kid is a better WR than Kyle, but unfortunately he has to prove that he can stay healthy. If he can't I don't think he can even make the practice squad
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Randy Moss has never been fully motivated - yet suddenly you think he is? And you don't see what his last season playing is indicative of...because he was awesome a few years ago?

"Randy Moss has never been fully motivated". You must be a genius. One of the greatest statistical careers in NFL history was accomplished with no motivation. I will take that in a heartbeat.

Im not wasting my time reiterating what I have already stated. Harbaugh is on board, I could give a f**k what you think.

If the last line is correct why post? This was a calm and reasonable discussion. Escalate like that with no reason and we will have a falling out.
I think he has a shot...so long as he can stay healthy, he could challenge Williams for a roster spot. He has return skills, so that could help him. He also understands Harbaugh's basic offense, having played in it at Stanford. Got to like his speed...he's another guy who could stretch the field for us. Worst case, PS, but I'd be concerned about another team snatching him up at some point.

Dirty P...a couple of guys who were UDFA that made our roster come to mind...Dobbs and Ian Williams. It can happen..it'll be tougher now, because the roster's pretty set, already.

Yet you cared enough to read AND reply. Oh and by the way, Randy Moss himself has stated before he takes plays off and plays full out "when he wants to". Doesn't take a genius to realize that being lazy like that isn't being "fully motivated", as I said.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Crabtree
Moss
Manningham
Jenkins
Ginn

Kyle Williams vs. Chris Owusu ----------> Winner = #6 receiver

Actually, I could see..
Crabtree
Moss
Jenkins
Manningham
Owusu

Ginn makes the team for ST only.

Williams gets cut
Do you understand that if someone takes him from our P squad they have to put him on their ACTIVE roster?

Tell me how you think a team sees a player as good enough to put him directly on their active roster yet he is not good enough to use a 7th round draft pick on.

Happens all the time. Team A likes player but is not sure about injury status and doesn't want to use draft pick on a player.

Team B gives more money as UDFA.

Team A keeps an eye on the player in training camp and preseason games and likes what they see.

When player becomes available they swoop in and claim him.

Happens all the time for a variety or reasons. How do you think we got Tolzien last year?
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Happens all the time. Team A likes player but is not sure about injury status and doesn't want to use draft pick on a player.

Team B gives more money as UDFA.

Team A keeps an eye on the player in training camp and preseason games and likes what they see.

When player becomes available they swoop in and claim him.

Happens all the time for a variety or reasons. How do you think we got Tolzien last year?

Name one time that has happened with a non QB
Share 49ersWebzone