LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

2012 Footbal School Pics

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Why is Tolzien standing with his toes pointing inward like that... genetic defect or something? ... WTF! It's no wonder he's freak'n slow...

just look at his body language as whole, kind of looks like he is clenching his a**cheeks and pushing down with his arms lol.

Well at least he's not out of shape with his hands on his hips.
Originally posted by Furlow:
I'm gonna have to agree with Joe on this one. Not the whole pointing the ball back thing, because yes, every QB does that.

That's what Joe was complaining about, that's what was addressed. The mechanics of everything else is a different matter.
I love how none of our guys look fat or out of shape. They all look ripped and ready to go. They've completely bought into Harbaugh's system.
Originally posted by Furlow:
I'm gonna have to agree with Joe on this one. Not the whole pointing the ball back thing, because yes, every QB does that. The difference is those other QB's maintain a hand position that is "on top" of the ball. Their wrist is more cocked and the control over the football is greater. Kaep's elbow is also behind his elbow, which is another QB no-no. His position in this pic is similar to a pitcher, where the hand and wrist are more free, and under the ball, with the hand following the elbow. The difference is, a pitcher is trying to create as much movement as possible. A QB is trying to do the opposite.

Now I'm not saying he can never be a good QB like this, but it will be very difficult for him to consistently throw the same type of "ball" and get any sort of chemistry with his receivers.

If we reduce the wrist's ability to "change" position, we make it more efficient on the throw. How is this done? The adjustment is simple. Hold the ball at the pre-pass pass position and cock the bottom end of the ball outward at a 45 degree angle off the body (see the image below), making sure that the point away from you doesn't go above parallel to the ground. This "cocking of the wrist" reduces joint movement, presets wrist pronation, increases the ball's spin rate when thrown, and increases ball control with the fingers.

The second aspect we'll look at is the elbow. This is the joint that can cause the most problems for the throwing motion. The elbow must "lead" the throw. Most coaching suggests that if the elbow is simply above the shoulder — or "comes over the top" — as it comes forward in the motion, then it is sufficient. Yet in their effort to keep it simple coaches are missing a significant opportunity. We throw with muscles, not joints.

http://smartfootball.com/uncategorized/improving-a-quarterbacks-throwing-motion

If the kid has a fast release (a fact established over a year ago on a national TV program), and a canon arm, then why all the fuss about the throwing mechanics?
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by iknoejohnyork:

Championship!

dude...
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

ROFL

Thats fvcking great
Originally posted by Joecool:
There's just something strange about Kaep's. It could be that it is way above his ear and the ball is still in the backward point. Or that his throwing arm angle is greater than 90 degrees where all those other QB's have it 90 or less which makes it more compact.

he used to be a pitcher and harbaugh doesnt see anything wrong with it
Originally posted by defenderDX:

The biggest problem here is with his legs. He should have his knees bent like Harbaugh does. If he keeps his front knee straight the ball tends to sail high (like Alex Smith)
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

Why is Tolzien standing with his toes pointing inward like that... genetic defect or something? ... WTF! It's no wonder he's freak'n slow...

just look at his body language as whole, kind of looks like he is clenching his a**cheeks and pushing down with his arms lol.

Stretching his legs.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
If the kid has a fast release (a fact established over a year ago on a national TV program), and a canon arm, then why all the fuss about the throwing mechanics?

I generally agree as the QB diagnostic program timed his delivery as very quick, but if he is in the habit of holding the ball behind him there will be opportunities for pass rushers to swipe at it. A still picture doesn't show how long he had the ball back though so we can tell much without video. Plus, if it hasn't been a problem in college perhaps it's much ado about nothing.

Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

well, if you do study his body language. it's easy to see that he's actually moving to his right..(turning) so that means he probably pivoted his left foot, and started turning his body before he pivoted his right. Or, he could be doing the stretch where you turn from left to right stretching your back...

I can't believe we are analyzing this...hhahaha
When did we sign Kimbo Slice?

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Wilhoite looks like he could kill Kimbo lol.
Originally posted by MILFS:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by iknoejohnyork:

Championship!

dude...

You gonna say "dude" and "dude...seriously" every time someone re-hashes Kyle Williams and his glorifying moment? Bro, get over it, no offense man... I guess some people are different, or it takes longer than others. Correct me if im wrong.
Share 49ersWebzone