There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do you see us carrying 4 RB's on the roster ?

With James , Gore, Hunter and Jacobs on the roster ...who is the odd man out ?

I'd say Jacobs, even though he does offer us an option as a power runner in short yardage situations, we simply cant let go of Hunter, he is still young and has an upside and still improving.

It's a good problem to have IMO
Yes. Dixon is out.
hahaha...I didnt even list Dixon
I hate to see Dixon go. He has a badass mohawk.
Yes. I see us keeping 4; but, if they only keep 3 then Jacobs is probably out.

Dixon's already gone in my mind.
we will go with 6 total RBs

Gore, James. Hunter, Jacobs, Miller, Cartwright
Yeah I think its 5 total including the FB. Gore, James, Hunter and Miller are locks. I was kind of pissed about drafting James because Im so high on Hunter and didn't understand the thinking of getting the same player for 1 spot. Now that Ive had time to dissect it though, I think it may be GENIUS! Both players are short and fast, but they can run inside, outside, hit HR's and catch passes. Neither is big enough to carry the ball 30 times though...but that's where the genius part comes in! Since both players are similar, you can rotate them and not have to change any plays or packages. Once Gore is gone or if he gets hurt, you can have both mighty mites in a rotation getting 15 carries a game and say 5 catches. The 20 touches or less will keep both fresh for the entire game and season!

Both guys compare to other great backs in the league =

Sproles = 5'6" 190
MJD = 5'7" 208
CJ2K = 5'11" 190

Hunter = 5'7" 199
James = 5'8" 194

I blasted the pick on Friday, but Ive really warmed up to the idea! So that's 4 locks for the backfield. I think the real question comes for spot #5. Do we go with =

A - Dixon
B - Jacobs
C - Rock

A - I think not getting that yard in the NFC Championship game sealed Dixons fate. If he doesnt set the world on fire this summer, he's done...STOP DANCING!!! The fact that he plays ST may work in his favor though, versitility will be big on cut down day.

B - Jacobs has really fallen off the past couple years. I live 15 min from Giants stadium and have seen every snap of his carreer. Hes a selfish loudmouth whos nicknamed "The Tip Toe Burglar", he's just like Dixon with the dancing. However, when that man gets motivated, he is hard to bring down. The 9ers were one of the worst short yardage teams in the league last year. We need someone to step up in those 3rd and 4th and a yard. As bad as Jacobs was, if he was on the 9ers, we prob would have went to the SB. Another positive is that he can also pass protect and catch the ball, so in a Jumbo Set with him, we can still throw. Getting only a half dozen touches a game should keep him fresh, but will it affect his motivation? This guys cried to the media MANY times when Bradshaw ( his good friend by the way ) was getting more carries. He doesnt really seem like our type of guy, but 1 year deals can make players sing different tunes.

C - Rock is the wildcard here. He's versitile in the backfield, on coverage units and can return kicks. If Ginn goes down again, he would be our insurance policy. With some of the guys we picked up though and using an entire spot on Ginn just for returns, is Rock worth the spot when we have younger guys who can return like Jenkins, Hunter and James? That is the biggest question mark. Rock is not only competing with Jacobs and Dixon, he is competing with the rest of the roster for the final 53. The 9ers seem to value ST's more than most organizations, but how much they do will determine if we carry 5 or 6 RB's

Any way we slice it, it should make for great competition this summer!!!!!
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on May 1, 2012 at 8:32 AM ]
people jumped on that dixon bandwagon a little to early
I think Gore, Hunter, James, Miller are locks.

I think Dixon will battle for a roster spot with Cartwright. I say it will be Dixon. He adds more as a rb and plays hard on special teams.

Jacobs I can see going multiple different ways. He could have a big role on the team or get cut in training camp. Too hard to tell right now.
[ Edited by natrone06 on May 1, 2012 at 9:09 AM ]
I guess my problem is that people somehow still insist Jacobs is a good short yardage back because he's big, but that's never been the case. He's also the only guy except for Gore that provides no special teams value.

When Harbaugh said he loves James around the goal line and in short yardage, in my mind, he might as well have been saying that if James delivers on this in pre-season, Jacobs doesn't have a role on this team anymore.

Even if they carry six RBs (the original post forgets Miller and Cartwright), they're not going to suit up six RBs. Jacobs is the only one who doesn't provide any special teams value, so why even carry him if you're not going to suit him up? It doesn't make much sense to me.

IMO two of three get cut:

Dixon
Cartwright
Jacobs

I'd guess Dixon and Jacobs
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on May 1, 2012 at 9:13 AM ]
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Yeah I think its 5 total including the FB. Gore, James, Hunter and Miller are locks. I was kind of pissed about drafting James because Im so high on Hunter and didn't understand the thinking of getting the same player for 1 spot. Now that Ive had time to dissect it though, I think it may be GENIUS! Both players are short and fast, but they can run inside, outside, hit HR's and catch passes. Neither is big enough to carry the ball 30 times though...but that's where the genius part comes in! Since both players are similar, you can rotate them and not have to change any plays or packages. Once Gore is gone or if he gets hurt, you can have both mighty mites in a rotation getting 15 carries a game and say 5 catches. The 20 touches or less will keep both fresh for the entire game and season!

Both guys compare to other great backs in the league =

Sproles = 5'6" 190
MJD = 5'7" 208
CJ2K = 5'11" 190

Hunter = 5'7" 199
James = 5'8" 194

I blasted the pick on Friday, but Ive really warmed up to the idea! So that's 4 locks for the backfield. I think the real question comes for spot #5. Do we go with =

A - Dixon
B - Jacobs
C - Rock

A - I think not getting that yard in the NFC Championship game sealed Dixons fate. If he doesnt set the world on fire this summer, he's done...STOP DANCING!!! The fact that he plays ST may work in his favor though, versitility will be big on cut down day.

B - Jacobs has really fallen off the past couple years. I live 15 min from Giants stadium and have seen every snap of his carreer. Hes a selfish loudmouth whos nicknamed "The Tip Toe Burglar", he's just like Dixon with the dancing. However, when that man gets motivated, he is hard to bring down. The 9ers were one of the worst short yardage teams in the league last year. We need someone to step up in those 3rd and 4th and a yard. As bad as Jacobs was, if he was on the 9ers, we prob would have went to the SB. Another positive is that he can also pass protect and catch the ball, so in a Jumbo Set with him, we can still throw. Getting only a half dozen touches a game should keep him fresh, but will it affect his motivation? This guys cried to the media MANY times when Bradshaw ( his good friend by the way ) was getting more carries. He doesnt really seem like our type of guy, but 1 year deals can make players sing different tunes.

C - Rock is the wildcard here. He's versitile in the backfield, on coverage units and can return kicks. If Ginn goes down again, he would be our insurance policy. With some of the guys we picked up though and using an entire spot on Ginn just for returns, is Rock worth the spot when we have younger guys who can return like Jenkins, Hunter and James? That is the biggest question mark. Rock is not only competing with Jacobs and Dixon, he is competing with the rest of the roster for the final 53. The 9ers seem to value ST's more than most organizations, but how much they do will determine if we carry 5 or 6 RB's

Any way we slice it, it should make for great competition this summer!!!!!

Good Stuff

Jacobs and Dixon could be the odd men out , Gore is our man, Hunter and James will both provide explosive play

Rock Cartwright can be a short yardage back, be our backup FB and play on special teams , he brings more value to the roster ..which is why I think Dixon and Jacobs wont cut it, Harbaugh is looking for more punch to the offense, and unless Jacobs shows some real power in pre-season, he will be gone before the season opener
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
I guess my problem is that people somehow still insist Jacobs is a good short yardage back because he's big, but that's never been the case. He's also the only guy except for Gore that provides no special teams value.

When Harbaugh said he loves James around the goal line and in short yardage, in my mind, he might as well have been saying that if James delivers on this in pre-season, Jacobs doesn't have a role on this team anymore.

Even if they carry six RBs (the original post forgets Miller and Cartwright), they're not going to suit up six RBs. Jacobs is the only one who doesn't provide any special teams value, so why even carry him if you're not going to suit him up? It doesn't make much sense to me.

IMO two of three get cut:

Dixon
Cartwright
Jacobs

I'd guess Dixon and Jacobs

Jacobs has been a touchdown machine every he has been in the league. I see them cutting Cartwright long before Jacobs
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Good Stuff

Jacobs and Dixon could be the odd men out , Gore is our man, Hunter and James will both provide explosive play

Rock Cartwright can be a short yardage back, be our backup FB and play on special teams , he brings more value to the roster ..which is why I think Dixon and Jacobs wont cut it, Harbaugh is looking for more punch to the offense, and unless Jacobs shows some real power in pre-season, he will be gone before the season opener
carefull,, i got taken to the woodshed last night for daring to suggest rock will make the roster cuz he could be a backup fullback amongst his special teams play and leadership... It was DEMANDED of me to show proof that he has ever been a fullback
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Jacobs has been a touchdown machine every he has been in the league. I see them cutting Cartwright long before Jacobs
do you foresee a situation where dixon gets a kick in the ass with the signing of jacobs, works hard and earns a spot over jacobs? Thank you
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
we will go with 6 total RBs

Gore, James. Hunter, Jacobs, Miller, Cartwright

i think we would keep Dixon over Cartwright...
both offer special teams value. Dixon has more upside