There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Analysis of the AJ Jenkins Pick (AJ Is a Range/Speed Specimen)

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
A fitting way to end this discussion....yet another deep, logical and thoughtful analysis from you.

I'll eat crow if Hill turns out to be a receiver who perform tasks that a receiver is supposed to do.

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Nope, doesn't matter to the OP.

Truth is, Hill like any WR coming from a non-pro style offense will have a steep learning curve...which is not unique for college WRs. It doesn't mean they can't succeed, it just means they may not contribute as quickly as others who have run the route-tree, can get in and out of breaks quickly and understand the nuances of the pro passing game.

If they have the right mix of size/speed/athleticism, core WR skills, desire and smarts, they will be fine.
demarius thomas had as many receptions in 1 year than hill whole college career

thomas was much more pro ready coming out than hill

hill was just an athlete with huge potential and he has great work ethic

the 49ers wanted a guy who can contribute asap not one who has a higher bust potential who wont contribute for a while

This isn't about Hill versus Jenkins in my mind, and I know Thomas was a more polished/productive WR coming out of Georgia Tech (which is reflected in Hill being a 2nd rounder). I never had issue with any of that, if you read the entire thread.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Here is a bit of information about Jenkins and some comparison with other top rated WR prospects in this draft...

A.J. Jenkins...

physical attributes...
-large, sure hands
-runs great routes
-is both quick and fast
-can stretch the field
-was extremely productive even though he was playing with a below average QB

-for those of you who like numbers...
....4.37 40 yd. dash at the Combine...one of the fastest times of any player invited
....38.5" vertical leap (better than Blackmon, Floyd, Randle, Jeffery, Givens, Sanu, Quick, and M. Jones)
....4.12 20 yd. shuttle (better than Blackmon, Floyd, K Wright, S Hill, Randle, Jeffery, Givens, Sanu, and Quick)
....6.73 3-cone drill (better than Blackmon, Floyd, K Wright, S Hill, Randle, Jeffery, Givens, Sanu, Quick, M. Jones, and Childs)
....10'4" broad jump (better than Blackmon, Floyd, K Wright, Randle, Jeffery, Givens, Sanu, Quick, and M. Jones)

intangibles
-humble
-hard working
-very intelligent
-has great character
-loves the game of football
-has great bloodlines (his father played in the NFL and was a very good WR)
-improved every year in college and by all accounts, has not reached his ceiling
-wants to get better

I'd say he qualifies as a top prospect...

Cheers!

Love your posts!
and yet HARBAALKE still picked him in the 1st........gotta love it......
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Yeah, Hill is an inferior player. I hear a lot of people feel that Kendall Wright and AJ are similar players though

Not really. Aside from on the field differences, Jenkins runs the 40 1/4 second faster (!), is 2 inches taller, has 2.5 inch bigger arms, and has one inch bigger hands (that's a lot). They're not really similar at all.

No I think they are similar players dude.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
What a terrifically reasonable, intelligent approach by you.

Then he should CANX his account and hide under a rock.

Sounds like 'I trust whatever Baalke says" mindlessness.

Trust is earned. Last season we had some of the supposed most NFL and talent knowledgeable zoners trashing Baalke for his offseason moves and he wins EotY.

While I agree with most your points, although I question the original science, I don;t see a darn thing wrong with trusting Baalke. He's proven he knows what he's doing.
[ Edited by WINiner on Apr 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
What a terrifically reasonable, intelligent approach by you.

Then he should CANX his account and hide under a rock.

Sounds like 'I trust whatever Baalke says" mindlessness.

Trust is earned. Last season we had some of the supposed most NFL and talent knowledgeable zoners trashing Baalke for his offseason moves and he wins EotY.

While I agree with most your points, although I question the original science, I don;t see a darn thing wrong with trusting Baalke. He's proven he knows what he's doing.

Yeah who else drafts a DE in the 6th round that into a pro bowl full caliber full back
Sometmes people fall in love too much with combine numbers, including the pros. It has already been said about Hill, that his routes are limited, and he is not polished. Production plays a big part of it too. Baalke has said that you look at the guy's production and tape to see if his measurables match the tape. Apparently they did.

Most zoners may have wanted a big and fast receiver feeling that was what Alex needed so that he can't overthrow him, but Baalke is drafting for the team as a whole and not Alex in particular. Jenkins is said to be fast and runs smooth routes. He has the production 140-150 balls caught in the last two years. That being with a so-so qb. He also has good hands. If he and Moss gets open and Alex can't hit them, it may be next up.

His weakness is supposedly he can be jammed at the line of scrimmage and is small, but that can be lessened by putting him in motion, in the slot or further back.

However, as is the case with Aldon, there was one traight that stuck out at Baalke and JH they said, it was his mitts, long fingers. Baalke and JH probably feel this will help him at the next level to snag those balls whoever is throwing them.
That stuff doesn't matter. He's a better WR than most in the draft. Watch his film.

~ Speed - yes.
~ Quickness - yes.
~ Great hands - yes.
~ Great routes - yes.
~ Great concentration when getting hit - yes.
~ Put up big #'s with a horrific QB situation - yes.
~ Hard worker and team player (gold helmet) - yes.
Originally posted by schmons:
it's pretty naive to come out and just say stephen hill cant play WR. he can run, he can catch, he can block. isnt that what a wide receiver should do?

you know what a receiver does on a passing play? he runs a route! just because he came from an offense that ran way more than passed the ball, doesnt mean he didnt run any routes. he probably just needs some work to run better routes.

It all depends on your offensive scheme. If you were running like old Cowboys with Bob Hayes, fine. If you want a receiver to do what is needed of a Bill Walsh west coast run offense, then no he wouldn't fit. If you watch the type of routes he ran and caught his passes, you will see he is not crisp, so if a QB needs and expects him to be at an exact certain place and he breaks to late or early, he ball will seem to be under/over thrown. Hill maybe able to learn or he may not. Some guys are fast vertical, but can't come out of their breaks without either slowing down or cutting too late cause they have no body control cause they are running to fast and can't do it. An example is L. James who we drafted. He is not 40 fast per say (he doesn't run 4.4 and under 40), but he can cut on a dime with minimum loss of momentem and speed. Physics also dictates this too of course.
I'll keep it simple as this, a buddy of mines who is a pro-scout sent me a text on draft day and said that we got the steal of the draft. He is familiar with Jenkins and feels that if he went to a big school with a big time QB like Barkley, Luck, etc. that he would have been a top 15 pick. This happens ALL THE TIME in the NFL draft, a good player gets passed up because he wasn't a media darling. I'm happy our front office can recognize talent on their own and not always go with the most advertised players.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I'll keep it simple as this, a buddy of mines who is a pro-scout sent me a text on draft day and said that we got the steal of the draft. He is familiar with Jenkins and feels that if he went to a big school with a big time QB like Barkley, Luck, etc. that he would have been a top 15 pick. This happens ALL THE TIME in the NFL draft, a good player gets passed up because he wasn't a media darling. I'm happy our front office can recognize talent on their own and not always go with the most advertised players.

scout for who
The filled out version reminds me of Greg Jennings. That's definitely worth a round 1 pick.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Love your posts!

Thanks NCommand... I'm a big fan of your posts too....

Cheers!
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

I'll add this to what you wrote....Larry Krueger of KNBR (who was an actual NFL scout before he got his radio gigs) said the Niners had a great draft.....and he loves the Jenkins pick as well...

Let's hope we all have another Isaac Bruce (in this prime) on our hands...

Cheers!
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

This is a great post. Did you get 12,000 posts by just doing this on every single post you see?