LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Analysis of the AJ Jenkins Pick (AJ Is a Range/Speed Specimen)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
its been said adding and keeping weight has been a problem....he may just burn the weight too quickly

i can help him with that
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Also, AJ is a "character guy" and produced VERY well with a horrible QB at the helm and accounted for over 50% of his team's offense. Also, he has soft hands (I haven't seen him body one ball in any of his highlight videos) and runs very crisp routes. Not to mention, he played quicker/faster than a lot of the guys you mentioned and he can play all three WR spots, with some return skills too.

I agree, that he could be a top 10 pick.

Yes, All Big 10 Conference Academics. Honorable mention academic all-american. Great kid, plays well in pads.
Originally posted by jreff22:
its been said adding and keeping weight has been a problem....he may just burn the weight too quickly

I heard his college coach (Zook) say that the plan was to get him to pack on weight and hit the weight room hard during his junior year, but he broke his jaw (somehow) and sprained his wrist, which prevented him from lifting.
  • dj43
It didn't hurt that Jenkins was also the best route runner of the bunch - something that was totally lacking in the 2011 49ers team.

As Baalke and Harbaugh have said on many occasions; "the guy is a football player." We have seen a lot of combine warriors that have flopped while the "football players" met expectations. Jenkins may not have a HOF career but he showed on film that he was more game ready than the other guys. So while some of those "other" guys may turn out to be better players in the long term, some others will never rise above where they are now. Jenkins needs only size/strength to match up with some of the "glamour" picks. For that reason, I predict Jenkins will have a much better first season than the majority of the other picks, even those taken ahead of him.
Plus he is very intelligent and should be able to pick up the playbook better than all those receivers listed. No draft wizards have access to "between the ears" of players.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

This,ROTF!!!!
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Plus he is very intelligent and should be able to pick up the playbook better than all those receivers listed. No draft wizards have access to "between the ears" of players.

well some wonderlic scores do get leaked
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Good job loved the anal

This,ROTF!!!!!
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

I think Floyd and Randle are going to be really good too.
You could have saved yourself alot of trouble by just looking at a few post I had before the draft. I dont know all about that "filled out" stuff but Jenkins had the best combination of 40 yard, 3 cone, short shuttle times of all most any player in the draft let alone WR. Add that in with good hands and route running and he has a good chance to be a STAR.

Originally posted by sean610:
You could have saved yourself alot of trouble by just looking at a few post I had before the draft. I dont know all about that "filled out" stuff but Jenkins had the best combination of 40 yard, 3 cone, short shuttle times of all most any player in the draft let alone WR. Add that in with good hands and route running and he has a good chance to be a STAR.

did you crunch the numbers? No

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmEu1DDN514kdFZoX0QzRlpFYllFNm82MjQtOVl2S2c
What if Jenkins just has small joints and not those thick joints some people have that are heavier? Smaller joint guys are usually more petite-type.

What if Jenkins adds size but loses speed?
Originally posted by sean610:

After fidgeting with the sh**ty search interface, I found some of your old posts. Kudos to you for finding the diamond in the rough named AJ Jenkins that nobody but Harbaalke and the Rams front Office knew about.
Originally posted by Joecool:
What if Jenkins just has small joints and not those thick joints some people have that are heavier? Smaller joint guys are usually more petite-type.

What if Jenkins adds size but loses speed?

Based on his hand size, that's highly unlikely.
Originally posted by dj43:
It didn't hurt that Jenkins was also the best route runner of the bunch - something that was totally lacking in the 2011 49ers team.

As Baalke and Harbaugh have said on many occasions; "the guy is a football player." We have seen a lot of combine warriors that have flopped while the "football players" met expectations. Jenkins may not have a HOF career but he showed on film that he was more game ready than the other guys. So while some of those "other" guys may turn out to be better players in the long term, some others will never rise above where they are now. Jenkins needs only size/strength to match up with some of the "glamour" picks. For that reason, I predict Jenkins will have a much better first season than the majority of the other picks, even those taken ahead of him.

I can see Jenkins working into the lineup as the 3rd down "Blitz Beater" slot WR. With Crabs, Davis, and Mario drawing seam/deep coverage, Jenkins should have lots of room open underneath. Especially if James is substituted in behind the line.

Either guy can break a big play if they get the ball in space.
Share 49ersWebzone