LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Has Frank Gore *truly* lost a step?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Everything about the offense this coming season should allow Gore to be more effective than he often was last season. I just don't think he is capable of staying healthy and productive for more than 175-200 carries. As a RB ages, he picks up more injuries. Frank is at that point. Great career that lasted longer than 90% of NFL backs but Harbaugh/Baalke saw what everyone else has seen and began filling the RB depth with young guys to carry forward.
yes
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think Frank is done yet. He may have slowed down some, but I still think he is better than most backs in the league.
  • dj43
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Some of the greatest 49ers of all time (Jerry, Joe, Ronnie, Roger, Rathman, etc.) all had something left in the tank when we cut ties with them and the reason why is simple according to the Bill Walsh philosophy (and remember, Harbaugh learned a lot from Walsh): You never know when a guy is going to hit the wall in terms of their football career, so it's better to let them go a year too early than a year too late.

Frank is still putting up good numbers and that's critical, but it's pretty clear to anyone who watches him that he's lost a step (and he was never fast to begin with). I'm not advocating we let Frank go because if it were up to me, he'd be our RB until he couldn't stand up anymore...that's how much his mere presence means to the team, and that's how big a fan I am of Frank Gore. But I wouldn't be shocked (from a pure business and football standpoint) if we parted ways with Frank before the beginning of the 2012 season.

While I would be surprised if Gore was let go before the season begins, I agree with your overall sentiment. Part of the Walsh philosophy was that once an aging vet began to go down hill, the sooner you began giving the reps to the young guy the sooner he will begin to play like the old guy he is replacing. It isn't about money, or sentiment. It is about what keeps a good football team on top of the heap.
gire has lost it, lets just cut him now
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
of course he's lost a step. Everyone does at some point. But he's still VERY serviceable.
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
I'm with you man. I'm willing to concede he's lost maybe half a step. Which means to say he's not completely out of his prime, but is beginning his descent down the mountain. Last year he debunked the myth that he was done, a myth that existed even back in 2010. Lot of my friends kept saying that during the first few games, then he tears it up the next 5 weeks and the same friends were saying "man frank gore is a beast". He got banged up eventually (not because of his age, but because he's frank gore and has ALWAYS had injury issues ala Fred Taylor) but came back and was in top form in the playoffs .

i feel like ppl who say Gore is done are the same people that spend more time paying attention to their fantasy teams on Sundays instead of watching football

This
Originally posted by Wubbie:
It's quite clear that Frank Gore's best years are behind him, but some of the thoughts people have on Frank Gore is that he's done. They think this is probably his last year to be a feature runningback and quite possibly his last year on the team.

In watching him the last few seasons, it's difficult to say how good he is. A runningback is very much the product of his offensive line, and the line just hasn't been too good up until last season. His second season, 2006, was his most productive year when he nearly rushed for 1600 yards. You have to remember that we had a very good run-blocking line (Jonas Jennings and Larry Allen manned the left side), Norv Turner was our offensive coordinator, and Antonio Bryant was doing a very good job serving as a deep threat. 2006's offense was very conducive to running the ball. In subsequent seasons however, like Alex Smith, Frank Gore in the running game has been pretty hampered by multiple offensive coordinators.

Last season, he started off slow and it really did look like he was done... but then he went on a tear mid-season in which he had multiple 100-yard games. He was well-rested by the coaching staff as well, so I'm sure that prolonged his life as a runningback. However, I'll say that at times he didn't seem to run as hard as he used to when he was in his *best* years. The Frank Gore I loved to watch would keep his feet churning and explode for an extra 2 yards, even when it seemed like he was stopped. He still runs hard, but there are times when he just goes to the ground. I don't know if coaches have been having him go down to prevent wear and tear, or if he just doesn't have the explosive ability, or if it's just a matter of minor injuries effecting him.

Even so... I think Frank Gore is a great asset to our team, and even if he isn't capable of 250+ carries anymore, I hope he sticks with the team for awhile, and we have a very strong runningback-by-committee. It'd be a shame for him to be THE offense for so many years and no longer be a productive player when this team is ready for a few pushes at a Super Bowl run.

Thoughts?

From Frank Gore 2006; yes, he's lost a little something.

From Frank Gore 2007/2008; he's still right there...

I say he's probably got another 2-3 years in the tank; especially if we start limiting his caries.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
of course he's lost a step. Everyone does at some point. But he's still VERY serviceable.

THIS
Originally posted by dj43:
Everything about the offense this coming season should allow Gore to be more effective than he often was last season. I just don't think he is capable of staying healthy and productive for more than 175-200 carries. As a RB ages, he picks up more injuries. Frank is at that point. Great career that lasted longer than 90% of NFL backs but Harbaugh/Baalke saw what everyone else has seen and began filling the RB depth with young guys to carry forward.

Well said.

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Frank has DEF lost a step and is close to being done. I love the guy and I would say cut him BUT I just don't think Hunter/James/Jacobs can be a feature back. So, I think you keep Frank for 1 more season and then let him go. Again, I LOVE Frank but you have to be able to make a business decision that helps your team.
Has Frank Gore *truly* lost a step?

Yes, clearly below you can see he is missing a leg.

Do you guys honestly think that 2011 Frank Gore was a worse player than 2007 and 2008 Frank Gore? Does 5 straight 125 yard games not mean anything in football these days? I can't wait for Gore to prove everyone wrong AGAIN
8/30/2011: Signed a four-year, $25.9 million contract. The deal contains $13.5 million guaranteed. 2012: $2 million (+ $4 million in bonuses), 2013-2014: $3.3 million, 2015: Free Agent

He will get a good amount of cash this year and he is still the starter so I have no issue with it. But in 2013 and 2014 he is only getting 3.3 mill for Frank its a great deal on both sides. He wont cost much and even if he lost his starting job having him at #2 is still scary and we can afford it.

Going into 2015 we will draft a thumper back to replace him or at least add to the roster until he is gone.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
8/30/2011: Signed a four-year, $25.9 million contract. The deal contains $13.5 million guaranteed. 2012: $2 million (+ $4 million in bonuses), 2013-2014: $3.3 million, 2015: Free Agent

He will get a good amount of cash this year and he is still the starter so I have no issue with it. But in 2013 and 2014 he is only getting 3.3 mill for Frank its a great deal on both sides. He wont cost much and even if he lost his starting job having him at #2 is still scary and we can afford it.

Going into 2015 we will draft a thumper back to replace him or at least add to the roster until he is gone.

Share 49ersWebzone