LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

2012 National Draft Grade Roundup (Updated: with links)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We got an extra 3rd, 5th and 6th next year as well.
With Fleener and Hill still on the board when we picked, this Jenkins kid better be the second coming of Jerry Rice.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Didnt quite know which thread to put this is in but here is McShay talking about a couple picks

Impact pick: RB LaMichael James -- Head coach Jim Harbaugh will get creative with James, and you can be sure the 49ers would not have taken him if they didn't already have a plan in mind. He'll be a great complement to the north-south runners already on the roster with his wiggle in space and ability to contribute in the passing game. James could also contribute in the running game, and if used properly his versatility could yield more from four or five touches than others get from 14 or 15.

Intriguing pick: G Joe Looney (fourth) -- Looney suffered a foot injury at the Senior Bowl that required surgery and that caused him to drop a bit on draft weekend, but he still has starting potential. He would have carried a second-round grade if healthy, and this is a case of the organization knowing when to pull the trigger on a guy with a durability flag. If he recovers fully, Looney could end up filling the team's second-biggest need.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigwads:
With Fleener and Hill still on the board when we picked, this Jenkins kid better be the second coming of Jerry Rice.

maybe some over estimate fleener and hill and underestimate jenkins,, its been done before

yeah, lets not put Jenkins and Rice in the same sentence
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:

not to mention it is illogical to all of sudden put pressure on the kid to become jerry rice,, come on man
A+++++++++imo
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I would say b- or c+, which could easily change if James and Jenkins do very well.

If you find a few gems in the later rounds and get a stud out of rounds 1 and 2, that is a good draft!

this
I honestly to give the grade about D+... But AJ Jenikins gave the grade about A+
Originally posted by ads_2006:

So far I have heard: Rice, Bruce, Cruz, and Wallace.

either this kid is crazy good or expectations are inflated because of the Trent trust....we shall see.

Just wondering whats our average grade last year? before the so called experts found out how awesome our draft is.
It sounds like Jenkins was high on the lists of several other teams and the guy is going to inject speed at the position. Plus, Ginn, Moss and Manningham only have contracts for this year. I think it's certain that Crabtree is going to settle in as more of a possession guy now. So, I like this pick.

LaMichael - I was scratching my head a bit, but I think they are looking at this as an opportunity to strike from longer distances and not get stuck in the red zone as much. I can see him on fly sweeps and screens and finding ways to get him out on LB"s in space. I hope he can some impact in the return game, as well.

Looney was obviously a guy they wanted and was below everyone's radar screen. If I had a knock on Balke, it was taking the players they wanted too early, when they might be able to generate value by trading down. He did that really well this year. Getting a third next year, along with another fifth and sixth was pretty spectacular and I think that's what ups their grade for this year.
Originally posted by cciowa:

maybe some over estimate fleener and hill and underestimate jenkins,, its been done before

agreed. problem with Hill is he was more raw IMO, and Fleener wasn't a need, where we truley needed a WR for the future, where we can easily re-sign Delanie and have Vernon signed thru 2015, so there was no major reason to add Fleener or any TE, as Byham is the 3rd TE as of now.
I've updated the original post with some more draft grades I have found. If anyone finds anymore, post them here with a link and I will update the original post. The idea is that in the future we can pull of this thread and see what these "experts" thought and what actually happened.
  • flow
  • Veteran
The national media's hate for our draft means we had a good draft.
Share 49ersWebzone