There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers UDFA signings

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
So what's up with these other guys? Owusu the only one any of you like? Any other guys have exciting potential?

The more I watch Jewel Hampton, the more I see Frank Gore. 5'9", 215ish, quick, strong and excellent burst through the hole. He even has the multiple knee surgeries like Frank!

That is a scary good impersonation of Gore. Can't wait to see him play in the preseason.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
So what's up with these other guys? Owusu the only one any of you like? Any other guys have exciting potential?

The more I watch Jewel Hampton, the more I see Frank Gore. 5'9", 215ish, quick, strong and excellent burst through the hole. He even has the multiple knee surgeries like Frank!

That is a scary good impersonation of Gore. Can't wait to see him play in the preseason.

Holy s**t! That's unreal. If you told me that was Gore in high school I wouldn't have doubted it for a second. I really hope we can see some of that.

Height: 5' - 9" Conference: Missouri Valley
Weight: 218 lbs
Arm Length: 31"
College: Southern Illinois
Hand Size: 9 5/8"
Expert Grade: 56.0

Overview Hampton is an early entry junior who transferred after three years at Iowa where he excelled as a freshman and was hampered by injuries the next two years. He was a decorated high school recruit who showed that ability again in his fourth year being the featured back in Southern's offense. He displayed the ability to handle the bulk of carries for a team and is an efficient back when given an opportunity.

Strengths Hampton is a tireless runner who relies on his thick thighs and power to carry piles for yardage production. He is an inside runner who is quick off the snap to hit the hole. He is good to shuffle his body to avoid trash and get back in line to hit the hole. He is a sudden accelerator whose short area burst allows him to get to the second level quickly, where he has a little wiggle and serious power to force drag-tackles and gain an extra 3 yards after contact. He is a compact athlete who has deceptive speed in the open field. He has an ideal frame to block in pass protection and could be relied upon in that role as a rookie.

Weaknesses Hampton has below-average speed for the position and will struggle to separate from defenders and break into the open field at the next level. He won't be a team's best option as a receiver out of the backfield and will be a limited short-yardage player. There's a chance he could be productive in a featured role, but it's likely any team that selects him will simply have more athletically gifted backs in the stable.

Hit with a pair of ACL tears at Iowa and an ankle injury at Southern Illinois, the former Warren Central running back remains determined to make it in the NFL.
http://www.fox59.com/sports/wxin-rash-of-injuries-dont-discourage-jewel-hampton-20120225,0,3480267.column
Johnson Bademosi didn't sign with us, apparently he signed in Cleveland.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Who was Baalke referring to when he said we would be surprised by some the big name UDFA's we signed? ??

These guys look interesting:
DE Kourtnei Brown, Clemson –
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68779&draftyear=2012&genpos=DE

TE Garrett Celek, Michigan State
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69299&draftyear=2012&genpos=TE

Al Netter, OG, Northwestern
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71130&draftyear=2012&genpos=OG

Him and Harbaugh both mentioned it in their press conferences. Names aside I am surprised with the amount we have been able to sign. It's has to be tough convincing these guys to come here. Sure we are a winning team but we really don't have any roster spots open. Pretty good chance all of our drafted rookies dont' even make the roster. They said they have to convince these guys this is the place to be and they will get a fair shot at a roster spot. Honestly, if I am them I am headed to Jacksonville, St Louis Indy, etc because those teams the chances will be a lot better than here. This is a hell of a staff, team and organization to play for if they can some how hang on even if it is the practice squad.

P.S. Hopefully this allows us to upgrade our PS as well. We need to upgrade guys like Hasting and Matthews. We shouldn't be in that situation this year but if we are Owusu (if healthy) should be an instant upgrade over those guys if he makes it.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 30, 2012 at 11:37 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Holy s**t! That's unreal. If you told me that was Gore in high school I wouldn't have doubted it for a second. I really hope we can see some of that.

I'm stoked we got Hampton, I was able to catch him on tv while he was still at Iowa, He has some great game. I'm hoping he beats out Jacobs and Dixon and we carry 4 actual RBs(not including Cartwright and his ST value). our backfield of the future could very well be Hunter, James, Hampton I'm just scared of Hampton's knee injuries.
[ Edited by sfout on May 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I'm stoked we got Hampton, I was able to catch him on tv while he was still at Iowa, He has some great game. I'm hoping he beats out Jacobs and Dixon and we carry 4 actual RBs(not including Cartwright and his ST value). our backfield of the future could very well be Hunter, James, Hampton I'm just scared of Hampton's knee injuries.

That looks like the NFL Gore but not as good as the MIA Gore. The MIA Gore was also plowing through defenders with power. I wonder how Hampton will perform vs NFL players.
LOL

He just needs one of these on his helmet and he is good.

Stoked about Hampton, he looks like Shonn Greene 2.0 and would absolutely love it if he impressed enough for the team to cut both Dixon and Jacobs, highly doubtful though but good PS addition if he sticks.