There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

That two things that are very apparent after Day 2 of the draft

One thing I love about this new 49ers FO and coaching staff is that they learn quickly from their own mistakes while not forgetting previous regimes' biggest gaffes.The biggest gaffes of the McCloughan-Nolan-Singeltary era was their almost infatuation with workout warriors and measurables; McCloughan said he had a list of the 40 times of all his players posted on the wall in his office. However, the biggest problem with drafting completely and absolutely based on measurables and not a person creates a higher chance for busts. BPA without the context of your offense/your system really just creates the greater potential for players (and coaches) to not really understand their place on the team.

- Last year the thing that kept them from the SB? Returning options/speed/explosiveness. Ginn on a 1-year and was hurt. What does this FO do? Draft TWO guys who can return and have explosive play.

After almost 2 drafts by this current administration, one thing is clear; the team wants football players - pure and simple. They don't want guys who only get ready for the combine and I love that.

At this stage I'm looking for depth at OL (OT and OG, S, CB, DL). I sitll think it's very possible we will sign a vet off the street.

It's a good things - and I know it's been so long that many of you can't remember - but there was a time when I would routinely skip the 49ers draft because the starters were sooo freaking good, the draft was a footnote of the 49ers off-season. That's a good situation to be in guys!

Remember the days of "oh look we drafted a training camp arm to help out Joe and Steve."
[ Edited by NinerGM on Apr 28, 2012 at 9:09 AM ]
Good observations. Last year they showed a tremendous ability to evaluate our internal talent. Navorro Bowman, Ray McDonald, Isaac Sopoaga, & Tarell Brown were all question marks going into the year last season, and Harbaalke absolutely nailed it when they determined that these guys were ready for the big time. They've earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Kilgore, Person, & company.
For these picks so far to work, it means people that we already have are losing jobs. It's a simple numbers game, the niners are not going to waste a 1st and 2nd round pick on players that don't make the team. To make the team, someone potentially better is going to be cut. obviously Kyle Williams is a candidate, dixon for the rbs. there may be coach speak or team spreak that says otherwise but these picks weren't to fill holes like we obviously have at guard and safety depth. These were swinging for the fences picks that will come at the expense of others. i have no idea if williams can be hidden ont he practice squad, dixon will find a real job elsewhere.

for the record, i'm on board with the moves too. I don't expect at all moss to pan out, hated the move when it happened but seeing that they were going to cover the bases with it thru the draft, its a gamble worth taking. crabtree is a dime a dozen wr, manningham as well. ginn will take a wr spot technically but we all know he why he's really there. Jenkins represents someone that could easily surpass all of our wrs if given a legit chance. given or wr corp and just how average to crap that it is, Jenkins doesn't have an awful lot to pass. as far as rbs, james brings a potential dynamic no one on this roster can bring. I think hunter will easily retain his #2 spot as a legit rb but in situations where they go to their gadget plays, james will get the shot to shine. dixon is nothing to miss, if he beats out jacobs, so be it but only one of those guys makes it. end of the day, given how few chances i see that 4th rb getting, i would hope its dixon that stays as listening to jacobs whine is gonna get old quick.
The fact that they took 2 skill position picks more for addition than need, they must be confident in Boone, Kilgore, and Person to take the right guard position. Still would like them to draft another guy in the 4th.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The fact that they took 2 skill position picks more for addition than need, they must be confident in Boone, Kilgore, and Person to take the right guard position. Still would like them to draft another guy in the 4th.

Confident that those players can compete. Don't count out a vet being signed at the NFL minimum. Once we work out a long term deal with Dashon, we'll have cap room again.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Confident that those players can compete. Don't count out a vet being signed at the NFL minimum. Once we work out a long term deal with Dashon, we'll have cap room again.

I have been curious about this, is a long term deal this year, still possible for dashon? not much space left. I would love to get one done but didn't think we had the space anymore
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Versatility? I love it.

But for those who knows LMJs game, how good is he on punt returns witn such a small frame?
e.g. fumbles?, how often was he returning punts, all 3 years?

I would say he is solid at returning the ball and receiving. He has the upside to get better. I wouldn't put him back returning kicks in the San Francisco wind just yet. I would definitely let him catch the ball out of the backfield and even go deep with it. I think he will be a good returner in time, and his frame won't be an issue because he is tough.
Competition will determine who makes the final roster.

Ginn will be cut because he isn't talented enough as a WR, and we now have RB James, DB Holcomb to compete with him for return duties.

For all we know, Leonard Davis has a handshake agreement that if he recovers completely from his foot injury, he'll have a chance to be a starter on a team with an inside track to the playoffs.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

For all we know, Leonard Davis has a handshake agreement that if he recovers completely from his foot injury, he'll have a chance to be a starter on a team with an inside track to the playoffs.

DO NOT WANT!!!! I've watch him play for dallas and he sucks... Reason he never panned out at Tackle or he is not that good at gaurd.
Originally posted by jreff22:
We have shifted from power to finesse

neither of these guys are "blockers"

We lost power because we lost Adam Snyder? Bwahahaha

No son, we added a new element (speed/explosiveness) while RETAINING the power and toughness
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM ]
This team is stacked with return guys all of a sudden.

Catch the drift Kyle Williams?

lol... in all seriousness though it seems like they are dead set on NOT reliving that Giants playoff game. Which I love..
Originally posted by BayArea:
This team is stacked with return guys all of a sudden.

Catch the drift Kyle Williams?

lol... in all seriousness though it seems like they are dead set on NOT reliving that Giants playoff game. Which I love..

And we have a good group at QB if Alex decides to regress, so my only fear is our DB's...
This is going to be an interesting season. I can't wait for the schemes on offense, seeing how JH uses all the speed we've aquired.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
This is going to be an interesting season. I can't wait for the schemes on offense, seeing how JH uses all the speed we've aquired.
Ya he's proven to be one of the best play callers in the league. He should be able to use all of these guys and create some great plays