Not a member? Register Now!

LaMichael James is a Niner

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Hunter is a very underrated blocker as well. I have always seen hunter as the replacment to Gore TBH. I could not understand for the life of me why he didnt get more carries last season.

The future is hunter/James. Nice one two combo for sure. We dont really need a mauling RB in the system we use. Thats what the lineman are for. We need guys with quick bursts and good lateral movement that can finish runs.

Jim disagrees

Link?

You gotta be Kidding me....

Funny that the two guys they have drafted the last two years look nothing like that.

who we draft has no baring on who else we use....the Jacobs signing is not about speed, its about mauling people. Just like Jim used Toby and like we have tried to use Gore, power always comes in handy.

LOL Jacobs will be lucky to get two carries a game, if he even makes the roster. I dont understand what you are getting at TBH. Hunter and James are the future.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
who we draft has no baring on who else we use....the Jacobs signing is not about speed, its about mauling people. Just like Jim used Toby and like we have tried to use Gore, power always comes in handy.

Jacobs might not even make the team bro. you sign bargains like him and Moss in case you dont land who you want in the draft. Jacobs is talented and I almost believe our FO when they say they might carry 6 WRs and 6 RBs(including Miller) but come on, you cant honestly think that Jacobs is a lock for the final 53 can you? This entire off season is about creating a log jam at skill positions and forcing the competition so we can ultimately field the best possible team. Jacobs is talented but come on, he's almost 30 and I dont know about you but I think there is ultimately only room for 1 RB who will be on the wrong side of 30 by the end of the season.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Think of all of the runs Gore broke loose on last year but couldn't finish. Now take those designed runs with a gamebreaker like James and the 49ers get 7 instead of 3.
Originally posted by Ether:
Love this pick. He'll be ready to take over Kendall Hunter's #2 RB spot once Kendall Hunter is ready to take over Frank Gore's #1 spot.

James is better than Hunter. The combine measurables can't measure things like vision, heart, the ability to run to dayligght...what I like to call "runner's intelligence" Good runners can just instinctively
Hunter is a very underrated blocker as well. I have always seen hunter as the replacment to Gore TBH. I could not understand for the life of me why he didnt get more carries last season.

The future is hunter/James. Nice one two combo for sure. We dont really need a mauling RB in the system we use. Thats what the lineman are for. We need guys with quick bursts and good lateral movement that can finish runs.

Jim disagrees

Link?

You gotta be Kidding me....

Funny that the two guys they have drafted the last two years look nothing like that.

LOL Jacobs will be lucky to get two carries a game, if he even makes the roster. I dont understand what you are getting at TBH. Hunter and James are the future.

If you dont get the importance of a RB with power then you will be disappointed when we cant punch the ball down peoples throats. Look who the RB coach is, you think Rathman wants a stock of little speed guys? When Gore goes we will draft a 215+ monster to replace him. We will never abandon the thought of power backs.
Originally posted by sfout:

Jacobs might not even make the team bro. you sign bargains like him and Moss in case you dont land who you want in the draft. Jacobs is talented and I almost believe our FO when they say they might carry 6 WRs and 6 RBs(including Miller) but come on, you cant honestly think that Jacobs is a lock for the final 53 can you? This entire off season is about creating a log jam at skill positions and forcing the competition so we can ultimately field the best possible team. Jacobs is talented but come on, he's almost 30 and I dont know about you but I think there is ultimately only room for 1 RB who will be on the wrong side of 30 by the end of the season.

Its the philosophy, dont get hung up on the player. Gore can give a pounding just like Jacobs can...just like Lynch, Jackson, Rice and the other stocky thick backs who can hurt players. We are getting speed which we need but we will not go into the future with sub 200lb backs and not thumper option.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM ]
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
The more I watched the more convinced I am... he IS a Sproles clone. I was at KSU the same time sproles was... saw every game, and was convinced there wasn't another back with his complete skill set - speed, quickness, VISION, hands, the ability to hide and burst, the ability to spin out of and break arm tackles, the willingness for a little back to take on tacklers and finish runs. I knew that Sproles would be an incredible weapon for someone (hoped it was us, but we took Gore)... and watching all of James' highlites I see Sproles.

I can't wait to see what Harbaugh does with this weapon!
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Hunter ran a 4.53 at the combine. James is much faster than his combine time and was clocked at 24mph by ESPN.

It's too bad that he was ranked 26th out of all RB's in this year's draft by the experts.

I keep wondering where people are finding this list compiled by "The Experts" ...

I can't figure out how they get the "expert" or "guru" title without even really watching tape on these guys. If I had their job I would be crazy and have stacks of recorded games every year.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:

Its the philosophy, dont get hung up on the player. Gore can give a pounding just like Jacobs can...just like Lynch, Jackson, Rice and the other stocky thick backs who can hurt players. We are getting speed which we need but we will not go into the future with sub 200lb backs and not thumper option.

You avoided my thesis completely by agreeing that Jacobs and Gore are the same and by doing so you bolstered the argument that Jacobs is far from a lock to be on the team. I'm not hung up on the player, I'm telling you that Jacobs is a 29 year old over the hill nutcase that we signed to a low risk 1 year deal for the sake of competition, he is about as likely to make the final 53 as Dixon is.

Gore is our thumper. period point blank, that is what he is now, it'll hurt for all of us but Gore is on his last leg just as Jacobs. Seriously Gore is here to stay(i know you didnt say anything about his security but its my train of thought) so Jacobs is inherently locked into a battle with Dixon to be the #2 thumper option with Hunter and James playing compliment and utility man respectively.

Seriously we signed a 29 year old over the hill nutcase in Jacobs to an incredibly low base salary, we aren't expecting him to move heaven and earth for us. He is here for competition's sake, yes he may well have an impact on our final 53 but you can't honestly expect much from him at this point, assuming Jacobs beats out Dixon and is the #3/#4 option(depending on where they place James) he can expect to get more more then 40 carries this season as Dixon was fortunate enough to see 29 carries come his way.

As of this moment the 3 likeliest RBs to be on our roster for week 1 are Gore, Hunter, James, after that it is anybodies guess what happens.
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM ]
Got my popcorn ready
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Got my popcorn ready

lol im not getting angry, im just saying Jacobs is not an answer for us, he is a body that is intended to spark competition. if he is one of the best 53 people in training camp then I will be ecstatic that the signing worked out, if not then who cares

EditL I'm going to go watch that 30 minute highlight reel of James. See you guys after
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by Ether:
Love this pick. He'll be ready to take over Kendall Hunter's #2 RB spot once Kendall Hunter is ready to take over Frank Gore's #1 spot.

James is better than Hunter. The combine measurables can't measure things like vision, heart, the ability to run to dayligght...what I like to call "runner's intelligence" Good runners can just instinctively
Hunter will have a year on him. A year to build a bit more muscle and turn into MJD/Rice.

I think they're both just different, you say combine measurables as if hunter was a combine talent. He wasn't. He has the intangibles you're talking about, did you not see that huge run he had last year where he busted through for 44 yards and a touchdown?

Because Hunter is a bit shorter and heavier he has a better chance to become more of a feature back than James does. Keep in mind there's nothing wrong with that, Sproles adds a whole dimension to an offense and so can James. I see them as a very strong RB committee in the years to come.

I do agree that when gore goes down we draft a "thumper" like someone else said though. Mostly as a redzone back which is common to do with smaller main backs.
Originally posted by fan49:
dont know if this has been posted but this will get u excited if your not already hes plenty fast with pads on

Give him 2-3 years, pack on another 15-20 pounds of muscle and he could be the next Ladanian Tomlinson.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:23 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Give him 2-3 years, pack on another 15-20 pounds of muscle and he could be the next Ladanian Tomlinson.

Why slow that train down with all that weight? He already had to gain 20 pounds just to get closer to "ideal" weight. I would rather see hunter pack on some pounds and become the feature back.
James is Gore's replacement watch tape if you don't believe me. The 1-2 combo we will have will be unreal if Gore wants to stay on as a power 3rd back after his contract is up that would be amazing. Very happy about the 2 weapons we just picked up so far
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home