LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
He won't replace Gore as RB1 or Hunter as RB2.

He'll have a role, but it won't primarily be as a RB.

I think he can easily replace Hunter in the long term as #2 RB. He's faster and more productive and even slightly bigger. Not sure he will as a rookie.

James is probably slightly faster and had slightly better stats (1600-1700 with 17-21 TDs compared to Hunter's two 1500 yard 16 TD seasons), but I'd say Hunter is arguably quicker actually. Overall, Hunter is much thicker/bigger in terms of muscle than him. The big difference is Kendall is a rock solid blocker, and that's where he has James and why I believe he'll remain the #2. James is a great Sproles type. Hunter is a potential starting back still in my mind, similar to the Ray Rice mold. Hunter came in with almost identical measurables to Rice.

Comparing the players combine performances:

Kendall Hunter
Weigh-in: 5-7 199
40 time: 4.46
Vertical: 35
Broad jump: 10'02"
Shuttle: 4.21
3-Cone: 6.74
Bench reps: 24

LaMichael James
Weigh-in: 5-8 194
40 time: 4.45
Broad jump: 10'03"
Shuttle: 4.12
3-Cone: 6.88
Bench reps: 15
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Why is James forty time so slow? Dudes not even faster than Gore was coming out of college.

Frank Gore: 40 Time: 4.65

LaMichael James: 40 Time: 4.45

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The midget back field ?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
He won't replace Gore as RB1 or Hunter as RB2.

He'll have a role, but it won't primarily be as a RB.

I think he can easily replace Hunter in the long term as #2 RB. He's faster and more productive and even slightly bigger. Not sure he will as a rookie.

James is probably slightly faster and had slightly better stats (1600-1700 with 17-21 TDs compared to Hunter's two 1500 yard 16 TD seasons), but I'd say Hunter is arguably quicker actually. Overall, Hunter is much thicker/bigger in terms of muscle than him. The big difference is Kendall is a rock solid blocker, and that's where he has James and why I believe he'll remain the #2. James is a great Sproles type. Hunter is a potential starting back still in my mind, similar to the Ray Rice mold. Hunter came in with almost identical measurables to Rice.

Kendall Hunter

LaMichael James
Hunter ran a 4.53 at the combine. James is much faster than his combine time and was clocked at 24mph by ESPN.
Originally posted by susweel:
The midget back field ?

Did you notice Kendall Hunter still wears a backpack after games?
  • Tman
  • Veteran

Kendall Hunter

LaMichael James

Kendall can put up them reps
  • sfout
  • Veteran
something that I think is incredibly telling about the selection of James over other running backs.

VP of Player Personel Tom Gamble personally attended both Oregon and Washington pro-days and paid specific attention to James and Polk respectively. What does it say that we picked James, the slender, speedster, with an attitude over the bigger, between the tackles, brawler of Polk?

Think about that just as it was with AJ Jenkins vs Fleener, Hill and Randle - we chose James over Turbin and Polk.I'm so excited to see what James does in a 9er uniform.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Hunter ran a 4.53 at the combine. James is much faster than his combine time and was clocked at 24mph by ESPN.

It's too bad that he was ranked 26th out of all RB's in this year's draft by the experts.
  • mike
  • Veteran
The midget back field ?

Typically you don't want a tall RB unless he's one of those bowling-ball runningbacks like hillis or something, it makes it easier for linebackers and the secondary to spot them behind o-linemen. At 5'6 hunter basically can hide behind those guys haha. 5'9 isn't short at all but he is lightweight.
Let's see some split-back formation screens with Hunter and James. Never know which way we'll go to get it flying down the field.

• mike
  • Veteran

Kendall Hunter

LaMichael James

As far as the Rice comparison, I just find it amazing that hunter posted better stats than rice did his rookie year. Very similar amount of carries(100ish), similar yards(400ish), but Hunter had those two touchdowns, rice had zero his rookie year. I know it means nothing if he doesn't improve on those numbers and probably gain some muscle this offseason too, but it's still eerie how close the stats were lol.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
dont know if this has been posted but this will get u excited if your not already hes plenty fast with pads on

[ Edited by fan49 on Apr 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mike:
The midget back field ?

Typically you don't want a tall RB unless he's one of those bowling-ball runningbacks like hillis or something, it makes it easier for linebackers and the secondary to spot them behind o-linemen. At 5'6 hunter basically can hide behind those guys haha. 5'9 isn't short at all but he is lightweight.

5-7 199(I think he bulked up to 205 during the year - he looks so yoked now) for hunter ^_^ and James is 5-8 and bulked up to 194 for the combine, if he plays around 190 and still runs 4.3/4.4 then god d**n(I've never used this one so I dont know if I'll get warned lmao).

This is our 2-headed monster of the future, we'll draft a "thumper" back when Gore retires.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

It's too bad that he was ranked 26th out of all RB's in this year's draft by the experts.

I keep wondering where people are finding this list compiled by "The Experts" ...
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Huge pickup for us. Dude is a gamebreaker with a rare combination of speed and strength. Excellent receiver too....he's too good to keep off the field.
Share 49ersWebzone