LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

How Much Does Our 1st Pick Put Crabs On Notice?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Thoughts?
This puts Kyle Williams on notice more than Crabtree
None?
Originally posted by valrod33:

Kyle is cleaning out his locker! I think this move lets every receiver know "we aren't playing" This is a message to Moss, and Crabtree, be ready, work hard, or we don't need you...we need.competition!
I wonder how many WR's we go with on the final roster. For sure Swain is getting cut. Williams hmm... I like him as a WR but if we got better then f**k it.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Kyle is cleaning out his locker! I think this move lets every receiver know "we aren't playing" This is a message to Moss, and Crabtree, be ready, work hard, or we don't need you...we need.competition!
I agree with the bold. But I think Kyle is safe, but there will be serious competition. I predicted before that we'd pick a WR and that Moss don't make the final 53. By all accounts A.J. is a burner with excellent hands who loves football and will be committed. That's deadly for NFL secondaries and a God-send for a coaching staff. And now he has the has the best speed and hands on this roster who by nature commits himself. All A.J. has to do is come in and do what he does and he'll be the #1. For me, this pick tells us just how JH & Co. feel about Crabs. Understand this: We just picked a WR in the 1st (like I thought we would). A 1st round pick reflects what the coaches feel about that position, and they aint looking for backups!
It puts every wide receiver on notice. If you didn't notice, none of our WR's are exactly inexpendable.
It puts them all on notice and they better step up their game.

Never been a fan of Crabs even though he had his best season last year and improved his blocking considderably.

I hope drafting Jenkins will make all the receivers better
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I'm just going to copy + paste one of my posts in another thread. This pick puts Moss, Williams and yes even Ginn on notice.

Short of Blackmon and Floyd any receiver we draft will be "short on playing time" with the depth we have going into TC.

Crabtree / Manningham / Moss / Williams / Ginn / INSERT ROOKIE NAME / CAMP BODIES OR MAYBE EVEN MORE DRAFT PICKS.

I feel the need to reiterate an earlier point I made. Despite the popular opinion that Ginn is a lock for this roster it couldn't be farther from the truth, yes he is an "elite" return man but he is atrocious at WR and we can't have players taking up valuable space at skill position that can not contribute there on a consistent basis. We were prepared to let Ginn walk and only welcomed him back with a one year deal, the only reason he "for sure" makes the final 53 is his return ability, but its far from a lock that he makes it.

Moss is Moss, he's 35, hasn't played in 1.5 years and had zero effort in 2010, we signed him to a 1 year deal that is less risk then the 1 we gave Braylon. We can cut him at any point before week 1 and not pay him a dime if he isn't the Moss of old. That being said I have 100% faith in this FO and their decisions so I believe that we wouldn't have wasted our time with Moss had we thought he would get cut before the season, but there is still a huge change he gets cut.

Oh Kyle Williams, the goat of the entire fan base, the promise you've shown at receiver, does it out weigh the massive gaffs in the NFCC? He is under contract for another 2 years and the FO believes he has a future and is happy with how he has handled the NFCC gaffs and the fallout from them. That being said he broke 2011 TC as the #5 receiver and finished 2011 as the goat of the fan base, he'll be starting the 2012 camp as the #5 or even #6 so his battle is the most uphill one of them all.

Besides Crabtree, Manningham and now Jenkins the back half of our depth chart is far from a lock and we will likely draft another receiver on day 3 just to make things even more competitive at the most important position of "need". Remember out of all 7 possible draft choices 1 or 2 them may be "fortunate" enough to crack the Active 46 and maybe 4 or 5 them may be luckily enough to win a spot on the final 53. We will be making a lot of tough personel decisions in the coming months and people need to remove the rose colored glasses and remind themselves that nothing is set in stone.

These are the benefits of being a good football team, we can take a "developmental" prospect at 30 and let him develop at his own pace because the rest of the roster is so talented. Whether that "developmental" player was Hill, Jenkins, a CB or DT, even an RB or Fleener no pick we could've made at this point in the draft would've been expected to be a day 1 starter. Especially at Guard or WR, at Guard the FO believes we already have 3 players capable of taking the starting job and playing at a high level so why use another pick to add a 4th guard when one who can play at just as high of level can be found in round 2 where there is an incredibly large talent pool(especially now with Konz and Glenn falling out of the first round).

Everyone needs to slow down and wait until the end of the draft before we start criticizing the entire process, doing that would be like writing a movie review after watching the first 10 minutes of the film. Yes the first 10 minutes could leave a sour taste in your mouth but at the end of the movie you could be saying "HOLY F*** THAT WAS THE BEST EVER!" -- just as you might or might not be saying about this draft come Saturday night.

Have faith in the FO and let them work their magic.

context was in response to another post but we are looking to make our entire team better and this does not put a particular player on notice, it puts the entire WR corp on notice.
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:31 AM ]

I agree.....Fackin Kyle Williams mistakes still hurt .......

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

I agree with the bold. But I think Kyle is safe, but there will be serious competition. I predicted before that we'd pick a WR and that Moss don't make the final 53. By all accounts A.J. is a burner with excellent hands who loves football and will be committed. That's deadly for NFL secondaries and a God-send for a coaching staff. And now he has the has the best speed and hands on this roster who by nature commits himself. All A.J. has to do is come in and do what he does and he'll be the #1. For me, this pick tells us just how JH & Co. feel about Crabs. Understand this: We just picked a WR in the 1st (like I thought we would). A 1st round pick reflects what the coaches feel about that position, and they aint looking for backups!

I do not think he is safe, Crabs, Ginn , Moss , Manningham, A.J. . Williams behind all of them. I could see 49ers getting another late round WR that can return kicks also
Doesn't matter. He's a developmental guy anyway and probably wont see the field this season. He will however take William's roster spot IMO.
  • dj43
It will make Crabtree a more effective player by having a legit deep threat that will pull a safety away from doubling him.

The most notable point to me is this puts everyone on notice that Jim Harbaugh is NOT just about power running as many have said and written. Harbaugh clearly recognizes that the lack of a deep threat was killing the offense last season. It wasn't JUST about 3rd down. It was about the entire field. When an opponent loaded the box the 49ers had no legit pass catching threat to force them out of that set. Jenkins changes that.

This also settles Manningham into the same #3 role he had in NY. Williams will stay in the #4 spot as a slot guy. Moss will have to show a lot to make the roster. JH will not give him a spot over a younger guy who can contribute more in the future. Ginn will keep a spot as a returner. The question will be; do they keep 5 or 6? My guess is 6 as JH does not want to be in a situation next year of having to drag guys off the street due to injuries to a limited WR lineup.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Doesn't matter. He's a developmental guy anyway and probably wont see the field this season. He will however take William's roster spot IMO.

He's arguably the most polished receiver in the draft. Sure he doesn't have the most upside, but this guy was picked to play right away. He's smart, fast, runs great routes, catches everything. He might not have the ceiling of Steven Hill, but he doesn't have the risk either. The guy caught 90 catches for 1200 yards last year in college ball. He's far more NFL ready than a project. This pick is growing on me the more I hear about this kid and his great attitude.

Thats how I feel too
CHAMPIONSHIP
Share 49ersWebzone