There are 168 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Guarding Against One-Year Wonders

I think we all agree that last season was beyond our expectations. That being said, there have been many instances where teams have done abnormally well in one year only to fall back to mediocrity from that point forward. On the other hand, some teams have been able to maintain long term success. Why do you think the 49ers are the latter and not the former?
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I think we all agree that last season was beyond our expectations. That being said, there have been many instances where teams have done abnormally well in one year only to fall back to mediocrity from that point forward. On the other hand, some teams have been able to maintain long term success. Why do you think the 49ers are the latter and not the former?

I would be worried more if it wasn't for the fact that the niners did what they did with almost no time to prepare.
i would say they always had talent, well not always but during more recent years this team has had talent.. This is sustainable because they been building this team for a while from the Oline on up to the Dline right on through to the DB's most of our starters where built by this team (hell look at miller and culiver) through the draft and that was always the plan. they've added some studs via FA but those players havent broken the bank and for all accounts are about the team.

i really like coaching FO relationship on this team. from all appearences they are ont the same page about what type of players they want on this team and they have a detailed plan of how to get what they need even if there are bumps in the road (not many last year). im also pretty sure that Baalke's idea of a bender is not the same as McCloughan's

COACHING....COACHING....coaching was obviously an issue, from inflexible coaching to revolving door OC's to a HC who was just in over his head just like the rest of his staff. i don't know about yall but im sure JH and staff are way more concerned about x's n o's and how player a's technique is improving rather then gettin home at 5 and how the suit fits the shoulders. it's early but i have high hopes in this staffs ability to be able to coach up the talent that is brought in so as to sustain the talent level on this team for years to come.

GO NINERS!!!!
[ Edited by Allx9er on Apr 22, 2012 at 9:51 PM ]
  • baysc
  • Veteran
they definitely need to step it up this year. teams will be preparing for them now
For the most part, the teams that make the playoffs year after year are the ones with consistently stellar QB play. We have the talent throughout the roster to be the favorite in this division for a long time, but we need more production from the QB to be considered one of those teams that's a lock to make the playoffs every year. I think we'll get it done.
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

I would be worried more if it wasn't for the fact that the niners did what they did with almost no time to prepare.

This. Amazing, Harbaugh did not even meet the team until 6 weeks before the season started.
We have Harbaugh. We will continue to be at and around and near the top. All he has ever done is WIN at every coaching level he has been at....
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
For the most part, the teams that make the playoffs year after year are the ones with consistently stellar QB play. We have the talent throughout the roster to be the favorite in this division for a long time, but we need more production from the QB to be considered one of those teams that's a lock to make the playoffs every year. I think we'll get it done.
Don't forget coaching and ownership dedicated to winning.
Because we have a sick defense. You can't just out score everyone all the time by offense alone. You need a solid defense to carry you along
Usually, teams that are one year wonders have a new, college coach mentality...too much rah rah and too little scheme. Harbaugh is almost the opposite of that because he played so long in the league. Letting vets skip non-manditory practices is a huge message, "You know your job, we'll get the young guys ready and you just show up when it counts." He has just enough rah rah, with a bit of mirth.

The other reason for one year wonders is the injury bug. If Smith goes out then CK or Johnson or Tolzien has to step in and play well. No other position seems likely to take a backward step, even with an injury. More than one injury and it could be a long year.
Not a chance in hell they'll have the same turnover differential next season, or in any seasons moving forward.

The question is if they consistently stay at about a 10-6 team for the next five or six years. They're not going to be 13-3 every year regardless of how "good" they are.
Playing in the NFL west does help. Stl is still 5 yrs away from being playoff ready.
Arz needs to find a good QB but their D is going to be very good next year.
Sea needs Flynn to be the next Hasslebeck.
4-2 or 5-1 next yr vs the NFC west and even if the 49ers go 5-5 they make the playoffs
Baalke, JH have created the beginning of a winning culture. A culture is a mind-set that everyone thinks the same and pull in the same direction.

We had a culture of losing under Dumbaue, Erickson, Sing.

We came together last year w/many of the same players. No player distractions like a scumbag TO. would bring.

This is the 2nd year under the Baalke/JH leadership & direction.

Much tougher schedule. This will be the acid test - and I can smell the Super Bowl now. Previously, there was zero hope for that, just a winning season would have been a big deal. Now it's the Super Bowl. That's how the culture has changed.
As a whole the team is young. That's why I don't think it's a one year wonder. The Defense has all it's key players returning. The offence has an improved roster from where it was last season. The production achieved from a new coach in a new system with an abreviated off season. This team had all the makings to be contending for a top five first round pick once the lockout started. We didn't go out and get a bunch of guys to make a run only to have them all retire or slide backwards on production. This is a solid team as evidenced in it's season record. Sure the team has had it's issues over the season but good teams find a way to win inspite of those hiccups.

This team is a team to be reckoned with. Do I expect another 13-3 season? No. I do expect to be in the post season there is no reason this team can't repeat going into the post season.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Not a chance in hell they'll have the same turnover differential next season, or in any seasons moving forward.

The question is if they consistently stay at about a 10-6 team for the next five or six years. They're not going to be 13-3 every year regardless of how "good" they are.

So what if they don't have the impressive turn over differential. As long as it's a positive in the double digits the team will be fine.