LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Not much room for any rookie to crack top 46 gameday players(CSNBayArea Article)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by walker807:
Here is what I think they intend to do. If Jacobs shows some stuff then cut Dixon. If Jacobs doesn't, keep Dixon cut Jacobs. Draft a RB early in the next draft to be Frank's eventual replacement. At that point you either dont resign Jacobs or cut Dixon.
I like jacobs but i also hope that dixon uses this as a motivation to work his ass off. if he does and outplays jacobs then he stays and brandon goes and i got no problem with that. i am still thinking that they wait till next year to find franks replacement but thats just me
Originally posted by dhp318:
say goodbye to Anthony Dixon...

Depends how Jacobs does.
This is a great problem to have. It's doubtful all of our draft picks make the 53-man roster this year. There's going to be some intense competition during training camp.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I thouht this was a very good article.

Do we parlay SOME of our picks to get just 3-4 guys who will be immediate contribtors?

Do we say pat and go BPA?

I feel parlay our pcks into 3-4 players who will make an impact contributions. Like Aldon, Hunter, Miller and Culliver did.

People are forgetting a third option: trade out of picks for picks a round higher the next year (a la the Pats)

While a third rounder may not be an immediate contributor or impact player, a 2013 2nd rounder can be expected to be a quality starter. If we have this many quality players on our active roster, some will leave in free agency and those that do could be replaced by higher round picks the following year.

Imagine this scenario:

Draft BPA 1st round
Draft BPA 2nd round
Package 4th, 5th, and 7th for a mid-3rd round pick---> Draft BPA in 3rd round
Trade 3rd round pick for a 2013 2nd round pick
Draft BPA in 6th round

That's 3 quality players (via 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick) and depth player in the 6th, with an extra 2nd round pick in 2012 to replace a FA that may leave in 2013. All draftees should make the team (no wasted pick) and we will be set up perfectly to replenish talent in 2013.
I agree with sus about the safeties and I think we also definitely need to draft olb, which could be a strong possibility with our 1st pick. Nevertheless, I think the kid out of Montana, Trumaine Johnson CB/S, is a strong possibility, especially if we trade down to pick him up. However, since this years roster is pretty solid, I have a feeling if Baalke does trade picks, it will be to trade up to get quality rather than quantity.
Originally posted by walker807:
Here is what I think they intend to do. If Jacobs shows some stuff then cut Dixon. If Jacobs doesn't, keep Dixon cut Jacobs. Draft a RB early in the next draft to be Frank's eventual replacement. At that point you either dont resign Jacobs or cut Dixon.

Originally posted by mike:
Randy moss is anything but a "safe assumption". Played horrible with 3 different teams in 2010, then TOOK A YEAR OFF. Totally a safe bet...

Everyone thought R Moss was done when he played in Oakland...then he goes to the Pats and set the single season TD mark...
[ Edited by SashRoxx-1 on Apr 20, 2012 at 7:39 PM ]
Originally posted by SashRoxx-1:
Everyone thought R Moss was done when he played in Oakland...then he goes to the Pats and set the single season TD mark...

hes like 5 or 6 years older now
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by SashRoxx-1:

hes like 5 or 6 years older now

And still runs a 4.38. So unless he forgot how to catch....
trade up and select the BPA
Looking at the top 46, I think our biggest needs are on defense.

1. Safety. Goldson franchised, Whitner getting up there in age, and Spillman is a ST ace. Not much depth for '12 or beyond.

2. Corner. Not big on Brock at all. T. Brown and Culliver are good, but another quality young corner to go with Rodgers would be nice.

3. D-Line. RJF, Tukuafu, Dobbs, and I. Williams are nice, but they are all late round or UDFA's and a nice impact lineman can improve our defense.

4. OLB. Aldon & Ahmed are set, but I could see another pass rusher draftfed to challenge Haralson.

Just my humble opinion.

Originally posted by Genius1310:
Originally posted by susweel:
Me personally I would not draft a TE that high when we already have VD and DW.

Walkers gone next year, unless he resigns cheap to play ST and #3 TE, which would be a dream come true.

Walker is an easy re-sign, we don't need to go out and add a 1st round TE, I've brought this up, what would it say to Vernon to draft a 1st round TE? I honestly hope Fleener is gone by 30, I can see Houston at 26 taking him. I would much rather draft a WR or OL like Konz if he falls to us.
Originally posted by baltien:
And still runs a 4.38. So unless he forgot how to catch....

if he ran like that now he mustve ran like that in 2010 and that didnt help much
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
I agree with sus about the safeties and I think we also definitely need to draft olb, which could be a strong possibility with our 1st pick. Nevertheless, I think the kid out of Montana, Trumaine Johnson CB/S, is a strong possibility, especially if we trade down to pick him up. However, since this years roster is pretty solid, I have a feeling if Baalke does trade picks, it will be to trade up to get quality rather than quantity.

I would love actually trade out of round 1, which would annoy a lot, and get Trumaine Johnson. I have him in the top 45 picks. Johnson is verstaile enough to play CB and FS, plus gives us more depth, and is better than Brock as a 4th CB. Also Johnson has starter written all over him.
Looking at the roster I see the following locks for gameday(and 53 man rosters).

QB(2)- Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick
RB(2)- Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter
FB(1)- Bruce Miller
WR(3)- Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham and Ted Ginn
TE(2)- Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker
C(1)- Jonathan Goodwin
OG(3)- Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore and Mike Person
OT(3)- Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Alex Boone

DE(2)- Justin Smith and Ray McDonald
NT(2)- Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean Francois
OLB(2)- Ahmad Brooks and Aldon Smith
ILB(4)- Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden
CB(3)- Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown and Chris Culliver
S(3)- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner and C.J. Spillman

ST(5)- Andy Lee, David Akers, Brian Jennings, Rock Cartwright and Colin Jones

That's a total of 38 players locked into a roster spot IMO.

Obviously we need a Safety or 2, another CB on the 46 man roster, 2 on 53 man, RB comes down to Jacobs, Dixon and whoever else is brought in, TE comes down IMO to Reuland and Byham, I would give it to Byham, due to more experience.

I left some guys off like Moss, Josh Johnson and Haralson because they aren't guaranteed a roster spot, none are paid a lot guaranteed, if any really.

We obviously need another LB, whether at Outside or Inside.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:

I would love actually trade out of round 1, which would annoy a lot, and get Trumaine Johnson. I have him in the top 45 picks. Johnson is verstaile enough to play CB and FS, plus gives us more depth, and is better than Brock as a 4th CB. Also Johnson has starter written all over him.

Do not want Johnson. Could get a solid backup S in the mid rounds. Bethel etc.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Apr 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone