Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 723 users in the forums

Not much room for any rookie to crack top 46 gameday players(CSNBayArea Article)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
No Kyle Williams!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 65,216
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
No Kyle Williams!


Yeah, I don't see why an imcoming rookie can't compete with Williams for that last reciever spot.
I thouht this was a very good article.

Do we parlay SOME of our picks to get just 3-4 guys who will be immediate contribtors?

Do we say pat and go BPA?

I feel parlay our pcks into 3-4 players who will make an impact contributions. Like Aldon, Hunter, Miller and Culliver did.
say goodbye to Anthony Dixon...
Originally posted by dhp318:
say goodbye to Anthony Dixon...

and why is that? jacobs is only guarranted 140k.......dixon always looks good in preseason...he looked good last year, hunter played great however....i don't see jacobs playing great, especially playing behind our second string unit......if jacobs just plays good, then i don't think that would be enough for him to get a roster spot, unless he plays better than dixon on special teams.......to which i don't even think he has sp teams experience
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by dhp318:
say goodbye to Anthony Dixon...

and why is that? jacobs is only guarranted 140k.......dixon always looks good in preseason...he looked good last year, hunter played great however....i don't see jacobs playing great, especially playing behind our second string unit......if jacobs just plays good, then i don't think that would be enough for him to get a roster spot, unless he plays better than dixon on special teams.......to which i don't even think he has sp teams experience

LOL!!! The front office signed Brandon Jacobs because the front office does not have any faith in anthony dixon... come on man!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
  • Posts: 122,144
We need to draft 2 safeties.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
and why is that? jacobs is only guarranted 140k.......dixon always looks good in preseason...he looked good last year, hunter played great however....i don't see jacobs playing great, especially playing behind our second string unit......if jacobs just plays good, then i don't think that would be enough for him to get a roster spot, unless he plays better than dixon on special teams.......to which i don't even think he has sp teams experience

Dixon looked good last year? Honestly my ideal situation is that we draft a runningback and end up cutting both Dixon and Jacobs
Interesting read. Although, I think the coaching staff will favor younger players in the competition for roster spots. For example, I think Moss has to be good enough to start to even make the roster. If we draft a WR in rounds 1 or 2, I think Moss has to show in camp and preseason that he is good enough to be our #2 WR. A guy like Moss isn't going to sit the bench (and the 3rd WR in our offense will spend a lot of time on the bench). So if he can't start, he will get cut and a rookie will take his place.

Similar situation for Jacobs (though I think it is MUCH less likely that we draft a RB).

My guess is we draft a WR, OG, and a S that will all make the roster. Other picks will be traded to move up on draft day. And then we will get a couple camp bodies or practice squad guys with the rest.
Ya this is why I think there's zero chance we take a WR with our first few picks (assuming Moss makes the team which I think is a safe assumption). How the hell could you have either him, Crab, or Manningham not dress? It's impossible.
Originally posted by andes14:
Ya this is why I think there's zero chance we take a WR with our first few picks (assuming Moss makes the team which I think is a safe assumption). How the hell could you have either him, Crab, or Manningham not dress? It's impossible.

By not having Kyle Williams dress. You could also cut a guys like Colin Jones or Rock Cartwright who do not contribute on offense or defense.
Originally posted by susweel:
We need to draft 2 safeties.

This
I think Cartwright and Dixon are competing for the same spot. Not Jacobs and Dixon.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
  • Posts: 122,144
Originally posted by Howlett49:
I think Cartwright and Dixon are competing for the same spot. Not Jacobs and Dixon.

this and we also have an empty spot that Moran Norris occupied.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone