There are 198 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Chalk Talk with Greg Roman (VIDEO)

Originally posted by adamcarrillo1:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by adamcarrillo1:
Shawntae Spencer-I Came to the Right Side

well Oakland is on the "right side" of SF.....but I'll let the others here go ahead and read that out of context and hate on a former niner like most like to do.
True i forgot about that
haha, its all good.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM ]
right side coming from socal, left coming from norcal
Man I love when they show us review film like this.... Greg LOVES his players.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:25 PM ]
No! No! No!

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I was yelling the same s**t on that Ginn play LOL.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
No! No! No!

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I was yelling the same s**t on that Ginn play LOL.

The play disproof the idea that Ginn is 'soft', goes out of bound to avoid a hit type. If he sees an opening for more yards he will absolutely take it. He had a bunch of guys going after him on that play. If he has nowhere else to go, then he will most likely takes it out of bound. I like Ginn to be a better receiver. I think he can be.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Was really disappointed by Roman's playcalling down the stretch last year, especially on 3rd downs and in the red zone.

Hope that changes this next season and fully expect it.

Just cause I'm curious... can you give me an example from a game where you were frustrated?

I can. NFCCG. Very poor game called. Giants were playing tight up at the LOS all game, stacking 8-10 in the box and we only take 3 shots down field...2 went for TD's and the 3rd had a good chance as well (just missed). Granted we didn't have Ginn to stretch the field and Crabtree is no threat solo but we could have exposed that heavy front big time with an array of looks/players and as a result, backed them off the LOS and then exploit them more with the run. To me, this is what costed us the game more than anything. Gore/Hunter also had a lot of success on the ground in this game and like with the deep TD's, we didn't continue to exploit match ups that were clearly in our favor. And finally, his 1st down play calling was horrendous. People focus on the poor 3rd down % (1 for 13) but look no further than 1st downs play calling that lead to the Giants pinning their ears back on 2nd down and us constantly being in 3rd and long (playing even more into their pass rush). FYI: The Giants were just as poor on 3rd downs (7 for 21 = 33%). Roman makes note of exploiting weaknesses in this video so hopefully he'll learn this key trademark of the WCO!
Originally posted by NCommand:
I can. NFCCG. Very poor game called. Giants were playing tight up at the LOS all game, stacking 8-10 in the box and we only take 3 shots down field...2 went for TD's and the 3rd had a good chance as well (just missed). Granted we didn't have Ginn to stretch the field and Crabtree is no threat solo but we could have exposed that heavy front big time with an array of looks/players and as a result, backed them off the LOS and then exploit them more with the run. To me, this is what costed us the game more than anything. Gore/Hunter also had a lot of success on the ground in this game and like with the deep TD's, we didn't continue to exploit match ups that were clearly in our favor. And finally, his 1st down play calling was horrendous. People focus on the poor 3rd down % (1 for 13) but look no further than 1st downs play calling that lead to the Giants pinning their ears back on 2nd down and us constantly being in 3rd and long (playing even more into their pass rush). FYI: The Giants were just as poor on 3rd downs (7 for 21 = 33%). Roman makes note of exploiting weaknesses in this video so hopefully he'll learn this key trademark of the WCO!

i think thats cause the giants and 49ers realized who we have at WR

KW, swain and hastings (taking away crabs who was constabtly doubled)

will not beat a defense especially one who has a secondary like the giants
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Oh, absolutely...conversely, the Giants called a great game defensively. You have a wet and windy field and there is no deep threat save for VD (2 TD's). You just need to be physical with Crabtree up at the LOS and you can single cover him. They stacked the box and played down hill all game long...played physical. Stacking the box against us is a problem we have faced for years d/t an inability to run off tackle and beating teams deep forcing them to back off. We have also showed that we don't typically audible out of 8-9 man fronts. Ginn was just a big of a loss on offense as he was on ST d/t teams having to respect his speed. Giants game planned perfectly IMHO.
Was really disappointed by Roman's playcalling down the stretch last year, especially on 3rd downs and in the red zone.

Just cause I'm curious... can you give me an example from a game where you were frustrated?
Seattle game after Crabtree catches that bomb from Smith.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Seattle game after Crabtree catches that bomb from Smith.

He gets a pass on that one. Whether won by 2 or 40. He wants to go home to his kids and legos on Christmas Eve.

I too was disappointed but the overall lack of WRs and then Ginn's injury really reduced the options. I'm sure that all the off-season moves to strengthen the WR corp reflects the fact that the coaching staff recognized the limitations also. For a multitude of reasons I expect to see a much more diversified offense next season.

Oh, absolutely...conversely, the Giants called a great game defensively. You have a wet and windy field and there is no deep threat save for VD (2 TD's). You just need to be physical with Crabtree up at the LOS and you can single cover him. They stacked the box and played down hill all game long...played physical. Stacking the box against us is a problem we have faced for years d/t an inability to run off tackle and beating teams deep forcing them to back off. We have also showed that we don't typically audible out of 8-9 man fronts. Ginn was just a big of a loss on offense as he was on ST d/t teams having to respect his speed. Giants game planned perfectly IMHO.
Good point about not running off tackle. Gore is not as good outside as he is inside. In addition, off tackle stuff requires some very mobile guards, a position where the 49ers have bull dozers who are not known for their pulling ability. Hopefully Kilgore, or whoever wins that spot, will be able to facilitate better running plays to the outside.
Originally posted by dj43:

Good point about not running off tackle. Gore is not as good outside as he is inside. In addition, off tackle stuff requires some very mobile guards, a position where the 49ers have bull dozers who are not known for their pulling ability. Hopefully Kilgore, or whoever wins that spot, will be able to facilitate better running plays to the outside.

Lets hope so! T's who can seal the edge (turn a DE inside) and then move to the next level is critical in runs off-tackle as well. I still struggle assessing Davis on the right side b/c we just don't run many off-tackle runs to his side but I have no problems with assessing Staley on the left side.

PS: I won't be surprised if we draft a RB higher then expected; one who can run inside and off-tackle and who had some break-away speed too. And I genuinely hope we start using Hunter more like Sproles!
Roman will be on KNBR between 8-8:30 AM this morning.
I wonder how the Offense will change with the new firepower on the Roster. Cant wait for 2013.