There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Offseason workouts

I think there are some rules in the new CBA that may prohibit players from practicing outside of the scheduled OTA's, but I know players (like Alex Smith) are at the complex. Do you guys think they're there to just lift weights and study film, or is there a chance that they're actually out there throwing passes, and getting in sync? With the new receivers (Moss, Manningham), i'm really hoping they're at the complex getting in rhythm with Alex, just like how Peyton Manning is already practicing with his new wideouts in Denver. Thoughts?
in the offseason, I like to get my cardio in, drop the added weight from the winter months.
Just wight lifting. They need to let their bodies rest from football activities. I think it's a good thing. They will have plenty of time to get in sync. I believe the 1st round of OTA's start April 16th.
Some teams start off season programs today. Do we?

As for Manning and his WR, they have to be doing that on their own right? They can't be doing it on team facilities as that would violate the new CBA.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

As for Manning and his WR, they have to be doing that on their own right? They can't be doing it on team facilities as that would violate the new CBA.

no

and yes

its mannings offense theyre running so he is just getting the WR up to speed as he is the only one who knows the offense in the whole team (camp manning)

as for team activities those are only for teams with new HC
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Apr 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM ]
I understand that their bodies need to recover from last season, still, I should think they'd be doing some off-time work (meaning the offense), and for multiple reasons. Alex seems to need extra time to gel with his receivers, they all need to get synchronized/on the same page/get their timing down/(insert whatever other cliches here). These guys should want to be the best they can be so they can have a little more leverage in future contract negotiations, not to mention just to be a better team (while each of them are Niners). Manning didn't get as good as he is/was by taking the offseasons off. Maybe Smith will never be elite, but I'd like to think he would break himself in striving to get there. I still have hope that he can be what we've come to expect from 49ers QB's. If he needs the time with his receivers to get comfortable he should be knocking on their doors to get them together somewhere.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

Monday I believe
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
I understand that their bodies need to recover from last season, still, I should think they'd be doing some off-time work (meaning the offense), and for multiple reasons. Alex seems to need extra time to gel with his receivers, they all need to get synchronized/on the same page/get their timing down/(insert whatever other cliches here). These guys should want to be the best they can be so they can have a little more leverage in future contract negotiations, not to mention just to be a better team (while each of them are Niners). Manning didn't get as good as he is/was by taking the offseasons off. Maybe Smith will never be elite, but I'd like to think he would break himself in striving to get there. I still have hope that he can be what we've come to expect from 49ers QB's. If he needs the time with his receivers to get comfortable he should be knocking on their doors to get them together somewhere.
thatis not necissary this season

this season all the players have a leg up on the offense because its the same as last year they will get the necissary time from OTA and TC last year we didnt therefore alex held camp alex so they can all learn the offense together

manning however in denver is running peyton offense not john fox's offense

so manning has to teach every1 on that team the new offense therefore camp manning
Seems to me like they Alex should do exactly what Manning is doing. You always hear them saying that they're not in sync, and that it takes time to get in sync and know your receivers....seems like they have all the time in the world right now.
Originally posted by GoforJimmy:
Seems to me like they Alex should do exactly what Manning is doing. You always hear them saying that they're not in sync, and that it takes time to get in sync and know your receivers....seems like they have all the time in the world right now.

like i just said above it is completely different manning never worked with his Wr in offseason before because they were in the same system so the offense is same this year manning has to teach the offense HIS system not fox but his that is exactly what alex did last year

this year we all know the offense with the exception of moss and manningham however sinve everyone knows the offense it wont take long to learn as every1 can help them

there is no immeaiete need for them to throw the ball

however we do know alex is at the facility everyday we dont know what hes doing there for all we know he could be practicing
  • tsty
  • Veteran
What I want to see in the OTA's is at least the experimenting of different looks on the offensive line.Kilgore and Boone need to continue building strength and defining their bodies to get ready for some possible promotions.I would like to see Boone challenge Davis for the tackle position then see Kilgore challenge Davis for the guard position if they choose to slide Davis inside.We need to make so changes because if the offensive line can match or play up to the level of the defensive line,the results of this year will maych last years results..............NFC Championship,GO NINERS.