LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 368 users in the forums

Secondary Depth and Scheme

Shop Find 49ers gear online
One of the things I really like about Harbaugh and the staff is that they really try to get all of their active players on gameday involved in the game. We see wide receivers and tight ends cycled in and out. We've seen formations with 6, sometimes even 7, offensive linemen on the field. At times, defensive players are switched to offense. And with the spread offenses in the NFL, I'm sure the backup safeties and cornerbacks all saw extensive time last season.

With us losing a couple of our backup safeties, it makes me wonder about how young players, and possibly rookies, will fare this year. I know the basic coverage we played was 2 safeties deep, with the cornerbacks playing underneath coverage, and Carlos Rogers covering the slot receiver one-on-one. I think Carlos Rogers being re-signed, regardless of who else we bring in, is the best signing/re-signing we could've done for our defense.

It's concerning that we've lost both our back-up safeties... but... in my opinion, any rookie or first-year safety we bring in will be able to play, should Goldson/Whitner go down or need a spell. I could be wrong, but scheme-wise, am I correct in saying that the only person in our secondary who had a difficult assignment was Carlos Rogers? I feel good our secondary, regardless of who we bring in.
Mostly true. Spillman is the backp at both safety positions but I'm sure we will sign a madeu Williams vet as insurance again and draft another safety. We will be fine. Rogers resigning was great because now we have great depth at cb
  • bors
  • Veteran
didnt sign lol
  • cools
  • Veteran

Niners announced they are turning Nelms into a Safety after he bulked up in the off season

Corner skills, very fast, hits like a truck, fantastic speacial teamer

He's my "under the radar" prediction to step up and become a very good player
Regardless of scheme you still need good players. See Madieu Williams
Our depth is adressed by the fact anyone harballke drafts turn to gold! And our "scheme" in the secondary is to rape, pillage and murder anyone wearing a different color Jersey.
We should carry 10 or 11 DBs on 53 man, with10 active on gameday. With the way the NFL is, passing wise, we need as many DBs as possible. Plus they are great on STs.

Rogers, Brown, Goldson, Whitner, Culliver and Spillman are top 6, add in Jones as the ST guy gives us 7 of our 10 or 11 on 53 man. The others will likely be Brock, Cox, a rookie FS and possibly Nelms.
Originally posted by cools:

Niners announced they are turning Nelms into a Safety after he bulked up in the off season

Corner skills, very fast, hits like a truck, fantastic speacial teamer

He's my "under the radar" prediction to step up and become a very good player

Agree. Really wanna see this kid in the offseason.
Share 49ersWebzone