LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 329 users in the forums

Vic Fangio's second year defenses and beyond

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SFrush:
Vic better not ever leave us.

Wellll.....

There are enough really bad teams in the league right now that I could both Roman and Fangio getting jobs.

Dallas, Philadelphia, San Diego, Carolina, Buffalo, Kansas City....all going to be looking.

Possibly even Cleveland, Oakland, NYJ, and Arizona.

It's going to be a madhouse.

Not sure if this has been posted before but it's good info.
Time for a new DC? The defense is going in the wrong direction . Is it because of Vic Fangio or is it a personnel issue?
Originally posted by NinerGod:
Time for a new DC? The defense is going in the wrong direction . Is it because of Vic Fangio or is it a personnel issue?

The entire defense fell apart when Justin Smith got injured. That tells me it is a personnel issue. They need better depth along the DL and they need a new starter at NT.
I feel like Fangio isn't aggressive enough with his defensive play calls. We don't blitz much and our defense really is just base packages, meaning it's hard for our D to confuse quarterbacks and trick them with different types of blitzes and coverages. I think Fangio needs to add different looks to the defense and get the defense moving around pre snap sometimes in an attempt to trick the quarterback.
Our only issues this year was personnel and depth.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I feel like Fangio isn't aggressive enough with his defensive play calls. We don't blitz much and our defense really is just base packages, meaning it's hard for our D to confuse quarterbacks and trick them with different types of blitzes and coverages. I think Fangio needs to add different looks to the defense and get the defense moving around pre snap sometimes in an attempt to trick the quarterback.

That's one thing I liked about Manusky, he utilized a lot of movement and shuffling before the snap, was pretty effective at times.
We are pretty vanilla on D and it showed. Trent Dilfer has said that all year
And somehow Fangio's defense got us to within 5 yards of winning the super bowl. I will take that defense next year as well.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
And somehow Fangio's defense got us to within 5 yards of winning the super bowl. I will take that defense next year as well.

that same defense also got us behind 17 in the title game and 22 in the Super bowl

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NinerGod:

The entire defense fell apart when Justin Smith got injured. That tells me it is a personnel issue. They need better depth along the DL and they need a new starter at NT.

This, we completely ignored our DL in the draft last year
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

that same defense also got us behind 17 in the title game and 22 in the Super bowl

If we had depth at the DL position, we can rotate fresh bodies to rush. When a defensive starter plays 90%+ of the snaps in the season, that takes a toll come play off time. Look at the beginning of the season, our DL was pressuring more, as the season went on and J Smith got hurt, it disappeared. We need to be ale to rotate bodies during the game and not have a dropoff in productivity when we do so.

Resigning Goldson and maybe picking up a Revis will definitely solidify the secondary. I'm pretty sure this offseason many FA's won't even think twice if they hear the niners interested in them.
That supposedly 'beast' D was awful the last 5 games, I'm hoping it turns around next yr to mirror something more along the lines of the '11-'12 defense.
someone explain to me why the defense looked so crappy this year as opposed to last year. Did we not have the same personel other thn parys haralson? what the hell happened? why was the run defense so s**tty?
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
someone explain to me why the defense looked so crappy this year as opposed to last year. Did we not have the same personel other thn parys haralson? what the hell happened? why was the run defense so s**tty?

There were guys performing at ridiculous levels last year that simply weren't sustainable. Justin Smith played well, but not at the same level as he did last year, same with Ray McDonald. Whitner played significantly more poorly in coverage and was picked on a lot, Rogers regressed somewhat, Soap regressed A LOT and they didn't get the same sorts of bounces that they got last year, also played with worse field position this season thanks to the decline in special teams too.
Share 49ersWebzone