Jul 1, 2012 at 08:04:35
- Posts: 236
This is the best defense in the NFL. It isn't particularly close imo either. All returning starters and you have guys named Justin Smith and Patrick Willis. Good luck oppenents.
Sep 28, 2012 at 07:43:04
- Posts: 3,477
Sep 28, 2012 at 07:45:46
- Posts: 11,672
Did they just contained 2 of the best offenses in the NFL....
Sep 28, 2012 at 08:49:34
- Posts: 9,398
There are reasons for concerns but I'm not going to take away the great games they played against GB/Detroit:
- Excellent containment on the edges by Brooks/Aldon
- Screen pass coverage has been great
- Quite a few TFL (hits, pressures, etc.). Many chase downs that have gone for .5+ yards will become sacks against less mobile guys unlike Ponder & Rodgers/Stafford. The OLBers should have at least a combined 10+ sacks by now...seriously.
- Excellent coverage schemes against pass-only teams
- Culliver has taken that next step (next one will be to pull in those passes he's been defending)
- Stellar job against GB (coverage schemes) & Detroit (physical play and exotic coverage schemes with the OLB)
- Tackling has been crisp save for Vikings game
- Covering of TE's in the middle of the field and esp. in the RZ/EZ
- Covering swing passes and RB's out of the backfield
- The opposition is 5 for 5 in the RZ
- Giving receivers clean, free releases off the LOS and enormous cushions esp. on 3rd and longs
- Pass rush is not consistent (Brooks is getting doubled again, Aldon is getting pressure and the DL seems to be doing next to nothing). Our ILB's are ineffective in blitzing and so far, only the CB has been successful. We're there but not closing!
- Still playing vanilla and reacting to offenses (and consequently giving young QB's easy 1st downs and tons of confidence) vs. attacking/dictating offenses like Seattle/Cards/Ravens etc.
- Seem susceptible to runs up the middle now and passes in the middle of the field
- Brown/Rogers seem to struggle staying with their guys esp. when they run all the way across the field (wide open)
- S's are playing so far deep, they seem to only be there to tackles AFTER the catches have been made (tighten it up) plus Goldson and Whitner appear to be blowing assignments as well
- Aldon needs to gain more experience at play recognition in coverage
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 28, 2012 at 09:42:02 ]
Sep 28, 2012 at 08:49:53
- Posts: 5,464
Alex didn't do something here!
Sep 28, 2012 at 09:07:26
- Posts: 49
You cannot expect your defense to be elite every game. there is a lot of film on our defense, and people will treat us like a superpower which means we're not sneaking up on people.
Also, we have a division champion schedule. It's harder.
Nov 11, 2012 at 18:04:04
- Posts: 3,477
Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that the niners D could not stop the rams. This is still a tough D, but this squad is regressing. Typical of Vic Fangio's defenses.
Nov 11, 2012 at 18:13:55
- Posts: 4
Originally posted by NinerGod:Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that the niners D could not stop the rams. This is still a tough D, but this squad is regressing. Typical of Vic Fangio's defenses.
You got this right... What the Rams did is exactly what the Giants and Viks did and Seattle tried to do. They run inside off their right Guard and drive the ball up the 49ers gut. This is what I call the 49ers glass jaw. If I am Chicago (and the others) I run Forte exactly this way. The 49ers have no way to stop this....
Nov 11, 2012 at 18:16:48
It seems to me that the lack of pass rush is the difference. It's all Aldon or nothing. Smith n McDonald only 1/2 a sack between the two of them. We were able only rush 4 last yr n leave everyone else free.
Nov 11, 2012 at 18:17:13
- Posts: 9,210
Before today, they were tied for the least amount of points allowed per game, gave up the least amount of yards per game and least amount of passing yards. They will be fine. Sure they aren't the defense of last year but that was a special year
Nov 11, 2012 at 18:17:39
- Posts: 8,899
Nov 11, 2012 at 18:17:58
- Posts: 5,141
We can't stop the run for s**t!
Nov 11, 2012 at 18:18:35
- Posts: 3,156
Nov 25, 2012 at 22:54:40
- Posts: 18,634
Fourth time's the charm.
Nov 25, 2012 at 23:26:21
- Posts: 1,556
Vic better not ever leave us.