LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

Vic Fangio's second year defenses and beyond

Shop Find 49ers gear online
That Panthers team of 1996 was a nightmare. They whooped on the 49ers twice that year and neither game was as close as the score indicated. There were guys that came out of nowhere that had insane career years like Lamar Lathon, who had 13.5 sacks and would be out of the league 2 years later, or a guy who was already a star in Kevin Greene who had 14.5 sacks and then ended up playing for the 49ers the following year. One of the biggest factor's was the performance in the offense. In 1996, Kerry Collins played the game-manager role well enough that the team won a considerable amount of games, the following year he threw over 20 INT's and the offense was terrible and put even more burden on the defense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
That Panthers team of 1996 was a nightmare. They whooped on the 49ers twice that year and neither game was as close as the score indicated. There were guys that came out of nowhere that had insane career years like Lamar Lathon, who had 13.5 sacks and would be out of the league 2 years later, or a guy who was already a star in Kevin Greene who had 14.5 sacks and then ended up playing for the 49ers the following year. One of the biggest factor's was the performance in the offense. In 1996, Kerry Collins played the game-manager role well enough that the team won a considerable amount of games, the following year he threw over 20 INT's and the offense was terrible and put even more burden on the defense.

That second game late in the season against Carolina, at the Stick, still might be the most frustrating 49er games in memory. It was for the division championship and we couldn't get it done.
Niners have great coverage LBs who allowed the DBs to keep everyone in front of them. Willis and Bowman are fast enough to help in the middle and sideline to sideline...like having six DBs in the game every play. DBs have been incredible at supporting against the run as well.

Next year several players should make great strides due to experience: Aldon, Bowman, Culliver and Brock. This should help make a more aggressive D possible. J Smith is the only player where age (33) may start to be a factor...but that shouldn't happen for a few more years as he keeps himself in very good shape and hasn't missed a game since his rookie year.

Fangio talked about Willis' need to learn blitz techniques, which should be improved next year with a full training camp. So, with increased pressure from the middle and from Aldon playing more the D will be more aggressive, but Fangio may believe in the bend don't break defense. Nolan senior helped develop this style in the 70s and I hated it...but it tends to work if the offense can score mid 20s or more. Not as much fun to watch but puts a lot of pressure on the opponent to play well over a long period in order to score.

With all the starters coming back I would expect a better defense next year barring injuries. Can't wait for next fall!
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He didn't get his horses back in that second year with other teams like he will have with us next year. Vic for the first time in his career since New Orleans, did not lose his guys to age or FA. Vic will get this defense to play wicked football next year. It's going to be fun to watch the defense.

Aldon Smith Holy sh*t! Can't wait!

This
Anyone still concerned Vic will continue his pattern of regression?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Anyone still concerned Vic will continue his pattern of regression?

I'm not concerned about regression....

But I am concerned if our great D will have to rely on a powerful rush to stop the pass. Of course all great ones do, but really hated seeing Cruz and Nicks tear us up in the first 6 quarters last year.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
That second game late in the season against Carolina, at the Stick, still might be the most frustrating 49er games in memory. It was for the division championship and we couldn't get it done.

I was there it will always be the most disappointing game I have seen live
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Yes, this has been discussed.

Fangio had to deal with serious lack of talent. On top of that, he was transitioning teams to a new defensive scheme. The only time he had talent was with the Panthers, but that defense was aging when he started and fell apart quickly. The rest of the teams he coached were pretty awful.

Also, don't underestimate the impact of Ed Donatell and Jim Tomsula. Those guys add incredible depth to our defensive coaching staff. I sincerely doubt that they have no input on the defensive scheme.

This defense is stacked in all areas. Top tier talent at every level of the defense, both players and coaches.

I doubt they have the same kind of success with turnovers next season, but I fully expect that the unit will be improved next season.
One of the highest winning percentages as a HC. 100%

Wikipedia: The percent sign is the symbol used to indicate a percentage.
not gonna happen.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

i remember Greene destroying young on one play...... i kinda cried a little.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/68944/49ers-defense-wants-sustained-elite-status

I kinda hope Fangio stays keeping things simple...if it ain't broke (and it CERTAINLY ain't broke), don't fix it. We got arguably more talent on this defense than any defense ever. We don't need to scheme our way to playing good D like Belichick would have to do so often to cover up huge holes. We got the talent to overwhelm, just let them overwhelm...we don't need to rely on creating deception and confusion, that may wind up only confusing ourselves...
[ Edited by andes14 on Jun 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM ]
Originally posted by andes14:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/68944/49ers-defense-wants-sustained-elite-status

I kinda hope Fangio stays keeping things simple...if it ain't broke (and it CERTAINLY ain't broke), don't fix it.

This was a really good article. Tons of stats.

He talks about how our turnover ration was more a factor of our style of play, than "luck." He's not saying well be plus 28, but we could continue to have a very positive margin.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jun 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
But how many of his defenses had a Patrick Willis, Justin Smith and a Aldon Smith!!!
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I'll be honest, I was openly skeptical about his hiring. Loving it at this point though!
I knew Fangio would put together a very good defense for us. I was hoping badly that he would follow Harbaugh. Didn't think the defense would improved that quickly, and to that degree though. I credit the players for that.
Share 49ersWebzone